Tar runways in SE QLD?

rdarby

I'm trying to come up with a list of the sealed runways in SE QLD or surrounds. Does anyone know any I don't know of? So far I'm finding them on a map and looking in ERSA:

Redcliffe

Caloundra

Caboolture (a bit anyway)

Stanthorpe

Lismore

Gympie

Wondai

Dalby

Ballina

Evans Head

Are there any others within a few hundred miles of Brisbane?

Ryan

Ryan,

By "tar" do you mean bitumen and/or asphalt? Bitumen is a black liquid that is heated and sprayed onto the surface and immediately stone is spread and rolled as it sets. This is what most rural roads are built of. High volume airstrips have a second process called Grooving where lots of thin horizontal channels are scored into the surface to avoid aquaplaning. Asphalt is a mix of bitumen and a range of stone from very fine to coarse which is spread and compacted in a thick layer and ends up a very smooth and quiet. Bitumen is like a thin icing on a cake, all the lumps & bumps show through, asphalt is like a thick icing that fills in all the cracks and ends up smooth and even. Bitumen can suffer from loose stone due to age or poor adhesion due to poor rolling etc, asphalt is hideously expensive so you only see it on high volume roads or intersections or where noise is an issue. The Whitsunday airstrip is asphalt due to the residential airpark being so close. There are other airstrip treatments.

In my area:

Emerald Qld grooved

Springsure bit

Rolleston bit

Blackwater

Sue

AOPA's Country Airfield Directory is a good investment... I was going to throw in Amberly if you live on adrenalin :-)

Why are you after sealed strips? Good grass is awfully kind on your aeroplane.

kaz

Inglewood and Goondiwindi.. and these and all the above have better "tar" than the crap we put up with at Dalby:coffee:

also Jimbour house (near dalby) has a nice sealed strip and looks like cellar doors/cafe maybe reopening soon at weekends

Thanks very much, that is a great list! The reason I was after non-grass runways was because the few grass ones I have been on (not many) havebeen quite rough, and I was looking for something smoother, so it's less of a worry of damaging the airplane until I get used to using a hire plane and build some experience.

I've never had any damage caused by using grass strips, although some can feel a little bumpy compared to the tar at Redcliffe, the only damage that I have had is stone damage caused by loose stones on cold mix bitumen at Archerfield and Dalby

Thanks very much, that is a great list! The reason I was after non-grass runways was because the few grass ones I have been on (not many) havebeen quite rough, and I was looking for something smoother, so it's less of a worry of damaging the airplane until I get used to using a hire plane and build some experience.

Don't try Kooralbyn then, the hard surface is in a poor state at present.

Koralbyn is in a very poor state since the hotel went bankrupt.If going there its best to land on the grass beside the Bitumen.As DD had mentioned the grass growing through the bitumen is over a foot high in places.I havent landed there for a long while, but my parents live there, I drive past the strip a bit.

• 2 years later...

Unless they're maintained like a green lawn, grass strips will tend to be clumpy and hence a bit bumpy. Most of the weight is off the gear though when you're juddering along quickly - I'd say that it's easier on the airframe than you might think. A few points:

• Wondai is grass with a bit of gravel - definitely NOT sealed. (Unless it's happened since December 2012). It is designed to be usable after plenty of rain though.

• Archerfield 10R/28L is listed as gravel on the edges - must be under the grass, making it look like a narrower but completely sealed strip.

• I flew over Kooralbyn on November 06 2013 and there were the big white Xs of closure at either end. Still looked like the best bet for a forced landing in that neck of the woods though.

Koralbyn is in a very poor state since the hotel went bankrupt.If going there its best to land on the grass beside the Bitumen.As DD had mentioned the grass growing through the bitumen is over a foot high in places.I havent landed there for a long while, but my parents live there, I drive past the strip a bit.

It was closed as of November 2013.