Hangar Break in at YCAB

Dear fellow pilots, I arrived at my hangar at Caboolture this morning to find it had been broken into. The hangar was secure at 2.00pm on Wednesday and it is believed the break-in occurred sometime Wednesday night- early Thursday morning. A number of locked cabinets were forcibly entered and my locked Jabiru was also forcibly entered and items stolen. The incident is currently being investigated by Qld Police. Items taken mostly were tools and miscellaneous items but specifically the following unique items were also stolen.

· Garmin GPS 296 system, specific for aviation use, stolen from aircraft -may have box with it (box stolen from locker) Will have flight data from Caboolture if checked when turned on and has rego 24-7279 in menu- No serial number recorded.

· GME MT410G 406Mhz Emergency Locator beacon HEX ID no: 3EF67D6B3F81FE0- Serial No: 64214, Yellow in colour in Black spandex case with strap

· Specific aircraft tools for Jabiru aircraft in a small green army disposal type bag.(std issue Jabiru) including a small “BMW Powercup “ socket set

· Black Tool roll with numerous tools with red beading on roll- new

· Lightspeed brand Headset case with numerous adaptor cords.

· Bag of aircraft specific fasteners, springs and filters

· 25nm Torque wrench in case

The theft has elements of random selection but the culprits were also smart enough to go after usable aircraft specific higher value items. I just hope they activate the ELB!!I urge you to review your own hangar security and please if you could be on the lookout for the above items, or any information that may assist the police in their investigations then please contact either myself direct or Caboolture police, Snr Constable Clair Parsons on 54950444 or crime stoppers on 1800 333 000.

There were over $2000 worth of goods stolen so I would be pleased to offer a reward for the successful return of them.

The ELB is effectively useless as it is ausbeacon registered and when it's used it will be triggered stolen! . The GPS also is limited without a bracket and aerial so if you are in the supply business you may have an unusual request for just a bracket or aerial or the like- please let me know

Many thanks in advance for you vigilance and please pass this on to anyone who may be able to assist.

Sorry to hear about that, BP (on both counts)!

i wont tell u what would happen if i was a dictator...........

Hmmm.... Would it look something like this? :hittinghead:

Sorry about the double blow Ballpoint. What a pack of bastards. We can all only hope they activate the ELB and forget about it while they celebrate with a few stubbies!

Hi Ballpoint,

Really sorry to hear about the break-in, and your job. There are some real scum around sadly, but if they are too stupid to realize the ELB is useless to anyone but the registered owner then, like has been said, I hope they are stupid enough to activate it!

Hope the items get returned.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks heaps guys- great to have a caring community around to protect us( most of the time!) from these elements. Just spent an hour with forensics dusting the plane and they got 2 good prints, so we'll see what happens. I did the tally again at 3am:sleep: as I couldn't sleep and the real replacement figure is over $4k. I'll never leave these items in my a/c again:no no no:- stupid thing was they left a Lightspeed zulu that was hanging right in front of them- Dumb opportunists or startled cons- haven't worked that one out yet:pull hair:

Thanks again everyone.

Neil

Dear fellow pilots, I arrived at my hangar at Caboolture this morning to find it had been broken into. The hangar was secure at 2.00pm on Wednesday and it is believed the break-in occurred sometime Wednesday night- early Thursday morning. A number of locked cabinets were forcibly entered and my locked Jabiru was also forcibly entered and items stolen. The incident is currently being investigated by Qld Police. Items taken mostly were tools and miscellaneous items but specifically the following unique items were also stolen.· Garmin GPS 296 system, specific for aviation use, stolen from aircraft -may have box with it (box stolen from locker) Will have flight data from Caboolture if checked when turned on and has rego 24-7279 in menu- No serial number recorded.

· GME MT410G 406Mhz Emergency Locator beacon HEX ID no: 3EF67D6B3F81FE0- Serial No: 64214, Yellow in colour in Black spandex case with strap

· Specific aircraft tools for Jabiru aircraft in a small green army disposal type bag.(std issue Jabiru) including a small “BMW Powercup “ socket set

· Black Tool roll with numerous tools with red beading on roll- new

· Lightspeed brand Headset case with numerous adaptor cords.

· Bag of aircraft specific fasteners, springs and filters

· 25nm Torque wrench in case

The theft has elements of random selection but the culprits were also smart enough to go after usable aircraft specific higher value items. I just hope they activate the ELB!!I urge you to review your own hangar security and please if you could be on the lookout for the above items, or any information that may assist the police in their investigations then please contact either myself direct or Caboolture police, Snr Constable Clair Parsons on 54950444 or crime stoppers on 1800 333 000.

There were over $2000 worth of goods stolen so I would be pleased to offer a reward for the successful return of them.

The ELB is effectively useless as it is ausbeacon registered and when it's used it will be triggered stolen! . The GPS also is limited without a bracket and aerial so if you are in the supply business you may have an unusual request for just a bracket or aerial or the like- please let me know

Many thanks in advance for you vigilance and please pass this on to anyone who may be able to assist.

Hi Neil,

Hope you catch them. No good about your job. Are you still instructing?

regards Jim

Guest ozzie

Sorry to hear about your woes. How low to have your hanger broken into. A hanger is like a sacred zone and to have it violated and ransacked would make it hard to return for a while. School holidays? Hopefully it was done by those outside aviation. Shirley no one that is involved in aviation would partake a deed like this. Hope you catch them first. Shame a ELB units cannot be turned on remotely. What a surprise that would be for them if they could.

A good idea to post the CASA penalties for theft and tampering with aircraft and ANY equipment used in association of such near the potential breakin points of a hanger.

Ozzie

Sorry to hear about your woes. How low to have your hanger broken into. A hanger is like a sacred zone and to have it violated and ransacked would make it hard to return for a while. School holidays? Hopefully it was done by those outside aviation. Shirley no one that is involved in aviation would partake a deed like this. Hope you catch them first. Shame a ELB units cannot be turned on remotely. What a surprise that would be for them if they could.A good idea to post the CASA penalties for theft and tampering with aircraft and ANY equipment used in association of such near the potential breakin points of a hanger.

Ozzie

Great Idea Oz- doubt the pricks could read that much though!

lowlife scum!! might pay to check the chandlery shops around the place as well Neil, the 296 can also support marine /road maps..and they might have had someone asking about maps or downloads for it..hope the job front improves as well..

• Like 1

I sympathise with your bad luck.... and although the ‘cat has got out of the bag’ you may wish to consider fitting a imaging surveillance device of the likes shown below in your hanger.

1988468757_BushnellSurvCam.jpg.b8f16c9979ff76bdaab8771f03d2ad86.jpg

http://www.bushnellaustralia.com.au/productpages/trailcameras/trophycam_119467C.html

One only has to use a little covert imagination in where to place and hide them and you have a realistic chance of capturing good imaging of the perpetrators in the act without their knowledge.

Yes, I know this will be an after the incident result however, the disappointing fact is that if a person’s really has intend to break-in, they usually will have the equipment to be successful unless quite expensive security and lockment measures are taken. Moreover, in doing the above often outweighs the value of the items one wishes to secure, it’s a bit of a ‘catch 22’ situation.

These devices are exceedingly good and quite inexpensive.

I would also recommend that you take-up with the airfields management as to their consideration of covertly installing a number of these at strategic positions with-in the airfield as again these units can be of valuable assistance to the police or airfield management.

Whilst they are advertised for ‘game and hunting’, use their use in general purpose security surveillance in excelling good.

River

Curtis Pitts told me about the time that some-one broke into his hangar and workshop in Florida. Shotgun rigged up to fire when the door opens. Big noise. That was a very long time ago and no-one tried to break in after that.

The "big noise", would that be the shotgun blast or the would be thieves squealing?

Gets right up my nose that stealing often seems to be portrayed as some sort of larrikin act or not really serious crime - I've worked bloody hard for what little I have and don't see it in quite the same light! I rather like the look of those trail cams and have been investigating something similar for home - we are on acreage and the house isn't visible from the neighbours, or the road so a break in would be all too easy - I'd be quite happy to act as my own repo man if I could ID a thief, a few photos plastered around the city and online should do it.094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

I'll echo what other's have said, Neil, hope that your luck turns the corner - and soon.

Be careful about setting traps and warnings. I had a car horn at head height just inside my shed door. A thief would cop that in the ear from less than a few inches away however I was advised (by the cops) that I could be sued for damages if I used it and possibly charged with an offence for installing it in the first place. Such are our stupid laws. Now, if I were King Kev....

J

Be careful about setting traps and warnings.

Absolutely correct!..... No longer is a man or womans home his or her castle, to do as one pleases!

If someone comes onto my property and hurts themselves on some piece of machinery that I`ve decided to put, where I want it to be! The way I understand it! I can be sued for leaving it in a manner that caused them to hurt themselves! ( Spin might be able to elaborate )

I`m sorry,but I`m from the old school and I firmly believe in personal responsibility, however, I also know it`s not like that anymore, so, be carefull! Leave everything neat and tidy for the crooks! They might hurt themselves and sue you!!!

Frank.

Yeah, fortunately we haven't gotten quite to the US stage of idiocy in terms of liability to people who might find themselves on your property, but I certainly wouldn't want to be without decent liability cover, otherwise it could cost you a bomb to defend an action against some penniless layabout and then not be able to recover your costs even if you won.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif That said, ever wondered what happens to all the people that go missing in Aus every year?

Incidentally I couldn't agree more re personal responsibility, Frank, it may pay the bills for me but the modern need to find someone else to blame for every misfortune drives me nuts.

Sorry to hear Neil, that is just a DOG act. I hope something good comes out of it.Troy

Hope that's another TLA rather than some reflection on man's best friend...and for some a very good work-mate !022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Thanks everyone, and River I think that camera will just do the job- many thanks. Ironically I have contactedthe police on four occasions over the last week to provide some addition info and follow up and not a single call- no wonder the crims take their chances.

Spin, you're on the money(pun)- we all worked damn hard to indulge our passion and I scraped for over 30 yrs to be able to afford my plane, and the other things we all work for. The place is like fort Knox now, but I know we can only ever stop the lazy ones.

Just an update, it appears that the 3 hangars in the same row were all broken into, except the one right next to the road.