Solomon's Flight Training.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes
Right Oh you lot.Here is the link the the ABC TV's comments line:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/abctv/contact.htm

I've just posted a request to them to look at doing a documentary. I said that recreational fliers all over Australia are following Solomon's journey and that the ABC should look at making a documentary.

You all know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so click on the ling and give Aunty ABC a nudge.

I have also sent a note to Australian Story as you suggested earlier OME.

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/contact.htm

Solomons family arrived yesterday to see him flying. Lots of big hugs from his sisters upon their arrival and cheeky big grins all around.

I have to say, I really had no idea that the family were taking Solomons exploits the way they were.

Mary, (solo's mum) explained to me some of the hardships they have survived to be where they are now, and how the way her family has been treated in Australia

has changed the way she's views the world. With tears leaking from her eyes she thanked us all for this "life changing" thing we have done for Solomon, and for

the family. I have to say, im not a soft sorta dude but I really had to hold back the water works myself as she poored her big heart out to me. I really hadn't

considerd it to be such a big deal, I mean I thought it was cool and all but I didn't realise how much the family were touched by whats been happening.

I explained (at length) how I had hoped this would only be the beggining of a life long relationship between Solomon, myself and the RAA community, as he

grows a pilot and an aviator I am hoping that we ALL can be available to him for advice and suport, particularly with regard to his aeroplane.

I explained to her that as Solomon develops a "pilots mind" he will base all future decisions on SAFETY FIRST and everything else will be secondary, and that i am sure that there's smarter minds then mine in his area that would be glad to help solomon develop his aeroplane (or planes) .

Anyway, the WX has been miserable, but solo is currently up to doing circuits and has a bit over 8 hours logged so far.

Should have another video for ya's later in the week.

Cheers

• Like 5

Great Work Motz. Loved the videos and Solomon seems like a very capable student. I am sure he will go far in the Aviation Industry. I said to Solomon when he flew with me at Moorabbin that I would arrange a few lessons with Bruce Vickers at Lethbridge. Would that fit into his training. schedule? If it is OK then Bruce is awaiting his call.

• 1 month later...
He is flying at Lethbridge with Bruce Vickers. Bruce thinks he is very good and will probably get his wings there. I think they are looking at a RAA Scholarship for him.

RAA Scholarship? Haven't heard of that before.

If there isn't an RAA Scholarship, then maybe we should think of one. There will always be deserving young people like Solomon around, who are passionate and would appreciate the opportunity.

I agree with you Jeff but as you know there are members of RaaUs who complain about their membership fees already, it would only give them more fuel to whinge.

Alan.

• Like 1

the problem with subsidising pilot training is that you end up with a bunch of pilots who can't afford to fly. trust me the clifton club has been doing this for a while and once the free flying finishes up they are a just a memory. maybe its different for GYFTS but my overall impression of subsidisied training is that its a waste of money that could be spent on chasing real pilots.

• Like 2

the problem with subsidising pilot training is that you end up with a bunch of pilots who can't afford to fly. trust me the clifton club has been doing this for a while and once the free flying finishes up they are a just a memory. maybe its different for GYFTS but my overall impression of subsidisied training is that its a waste of money that could be spent on chasing real pilots.

Fair enought FT, the difference IMO is that poor people, still get a taste of flying.Even if in the long run, they will never be able to afford it.I do understand what your saying though.