what's happening at Dalby

freddy

Guest Maj Millard

The wire--braced wing is more solid in the air. The tips don't flex at all like they do on the strut-braced. This gives the wing a more solid feel. Not hard to understand when you look at where the struts actually attach to the front and rear spars. The outer cables attach about a foot and a half further out, so the wing generally is more rigidly braced.......the struts may be 2-3 kts faster but there's not a lot in it..........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The factory is still there, I was there not long ago. Plenty of spares out there. I believe they are not operating at the moment but if you call them i'm sure they will be willing to help. They seem like pretty good people. I wouldn't mind taking their 912 drifter for a spin that they have been working on.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, please, throw us a bone someone??? Am very interested to know if there is a factory full of spares...

Also curious when they advertised new sails on their website, where they were sourced from, as that is my main concern these days, although now not so much thanks to the like of Emah.

What is the deal?? I do sometimes wish they would sell the type cert. so someone else could get on with it. I'm sure there would have to be some other interested parties? No disrespect to them, as I would be just as happy if they cranked things up also....

Don't hold your breath! They had an extremely knowledgeable and very capable person working at their factory (who could easily have been producing Drifter aircraft), doing other maintenance and the like through 2009-2012. I don't think they really have any interest in producing Drifters anymore.... would be very surprised if they did start rolling them out. Shame! 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Out at the hangar a couple of weeks ago, wide eyed wonderment, like a kid in a chocolate factory. At a rough guess at least 12 new drifters could be built with the parts I saw just in the hangar.

However I think reality must bring us down to earth, just how much are we willing to pay for a brand new Drifter. And for long term its gotta be 912 powered. Would you pay 50 to 60 k.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
Out at the hangar a couple of weeks ago, wide eyed wonderment, like a kid in a chocolate factory. At a rough guess at least 12 new drifters could be built with the parts I saw just in the hangar.However I think reality must bring us down to earth, just how much are we willing to pay for a brand new Drifter. And for long term its gotta be 912 powered. Would you pay 50 to 60 k.

Why does it have to be 912 powered?

• 3 weeks later...
Why does it have to be 912 powered?

Beats me. The drifters are labour-intensive; on a per-unit retail cost basis, a 582 SB is not far off a J-120 price... inherent in the design; they can't be made less labour-intensive and still use the same TC. But they ARE TC'd by the NAA (CASA), unlike LSA's good ol' self certification... though the 582/prop combo limits the operational areas.

The 503 WD and 582 SB both have quite adequate performance in every area but top speed; but if you want a Lightning Bug, buy a Lightning Bug. With the price of PH aluminium tube going through the roof, and an average Aussie wage of $800k or so, the alloy tube / Dacron solution just ain't cheap no more no more.

W.R.T. the factory sitting still for a while, they must have invested at least half a million dollars in getting production-ready; and on about a 5% direct profit margin (i.e. a loss after paying interest on the development costs), very few people were putting their hands in their pockets. And that was before the GFC - I doubt much has changed now; I suspect they're just being optomistic again.

The Drifter is a TC'd aeroplane that can be used for training; they're known to outlast 10,000 hrs; and they're forgiving & fun. But where's the money?

The drifter has a more reliable engine with the Rotax 582 compared with the jabiru with its own 2200.

Dazza, are you trying to apply logic to Certification AGAIN? You silly, twisted boy...

ps if you like a J2200-engined Drifter could be made for you poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

• 1 year later...

speaking of engines - apparently there are a lot of trikes in Europe fitted with 582s (and other 2 stroke motors) - because new eco regulations are making things 'difficult', many changes are in the wind

for example, Ferrari have just changed from V10 and V12 motors (something they said they would never do) to turbocharged V8s - why? because the big multi-piston engines are not as 'clean' as the turbo V8, and Ferrari want to keep selling cars in Europe!

as such, many trike and 582 owners have been looking for 4 stroke motors - apparently one of the best options is the BMW flat twin motorcycle engines - already there is one manufacturer of kits for replacing a 582 with a boxer motor - there are plenty of motors available from wrecked bikes in Europe (and Oz)11.jpg.93c5944e7e93921d4bf1b15feda9c6f6.jpg

cheers

BP