Over-confident student crashes

Admin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show that you can't legislate against stupidity! Attempting to rectify the possibility of someone being this stupid through any administrative means would be doomed to end in a system where no-one could fly. IMHO

• Like 2

Especially when he bought his own aircraft. No flying school or club would ever sign out an aircraft under those circumstances - just not being night, nav or instrument rated would have stopped them from hiring out. But if you own your aircraft, there was nothing to stop him.

Tomo,Nice photo kid, we finally get to see your cheeky smile up close.

back to topic ... there is no measure of help possible for this kind of stupidity. Tough penalty though, he never got to learn anything.

He did learn something.That is, how to quickly kill himself. 26 hoursTT what was he thinking, apart from probably trying to impress his girl friend. At least he didnt take anybody with him, in the air or on the ground.

Your right though David, he never learnt anything to do with being a Aviator.

back to topic ... there is no measure of help possible for this kind of stupidity. Tough penalty though, he never got to learn anything.

Even the santa hat is almost in the right place.

• Like 2

"Contributing to the accident was the student pilot’s decision to attempt a flight that he was not qualified for and his decision to ignore known adverse weather conditions."

This statement tersely sums it up. Nevertheless, it is more than a "contributing" factor: it's just about the sole factor for this unnecessary fatality.

I recently had lunch with some people who I also see at aviator's funerals and some-one made the comment that "we" often say that it was no surprise. A pity that "we" didn't tell that to the person earlier as it wouldn't take much thought to put them in one or more boxes of the five hazardous attitudes.

I'd say the cocktail of alcohol and stimulants made the pilot irrational

It was a stupid thing he did - under the circumstances to say he was stupid seems tough

Probably was a highly educated person - like all us pilots ?

• Like 2

Haha, thanks DI! Thought something a little Christmasy would be on the menu, and it works for the hat... sort of.

I recently had lunch with some people who I also see at aviator's funerals and some-one made the comment that "we" often say that it was no surprise. A pity that "we" didn't tell that to the person earlier as it wouldn't take much thought to put them in one or more boxes of the five hazardous attitudes.

G'day David. Had a look at the "five hazardous attitudes". The first assessement made me feel like that I was expected to choose the least objectionable option for a scenario I would have worked hard to avoid. In the event of putting myself in a situation through poor decision making, in reviewing it I'm normally thinking along the lines of how to make sure that it never happens again.

The second assessement was more appealing, and I feel relevant. Left me a bit confused though. The three above average scores were: Macho, Worry and Self Confident!!

The first assessment has been around a while and I had the same view as yourself.

The second assessement was more appealing, and I feel relevant. Left me a bit confused though. The three above average scores were: Macho, Worry and Self Confident!!

What do you mean "confused"? I scored slightly higher than average on the same three items.

Worry and self confident ..19, and 18 for macho. How can you high score in 2 conflicting attitudes?

In the first one I got too self confident.

The whole thing is BS. Both of these surveys produce assessments that don't relate to my flying record, which I would regard as conservative and cautious. (almost boring)

In the questionaire... You have DONE something dangerous, AND stupid... What would be the most logical reason for you doing it? There were no satisfactory answers for doing things I would never do , so the ONLY logical answer is that you thought you COULD do it. If you didn't think you could do it, why did you do it?

In flying , if you approach a task thinking you can't do it, you will probably be right about that Nev

The first assessment has been around a while and I had the same view as yourself.What do you mean "confused"? I scored slightly higher than average on the same three items.

David, am greatly reassured that I share similar tendencies with you.

In the circumstance that either of us stack an aeroplane, and survive the event, we will be easily identified as the one who will be greatly concerned that we allowed our Macho and Self Confident components overwhelm the Worry factor!!

I got 18 Macho, 19 self confidence, 19 worry.How does that work ? How can I be 19 self confident and also 19 worry. Anyway I hit the eject button on the first test after about 5 questions. Doesnt make sense to me, all of the answers are bad. I tried to find the least bad.But even then it didnt make sense or a true reflection on what I feel or what I would do.Im a member of the Live Cowards Club.

Hmmm. the first self assessment really pissed me off. Scored 3 on Macho as highest.

The second one made more sense ... I scored Macho 18, Worry 19, Self confidence 19 Scarily close to you other mad bastards ... what does that say about us???

Ditto here, first one was just annoying, being forced into choosing an answer to something I don't think I would ever do. The second I came up with Macho 18, Worry 19, Self confidence 19. Coincidence? or an australian aviator theme?? or are we all trained to think the same way?

Phil