Urgent Poll

Admin

vBulletin software or Xenforo software?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. vBulletin software or Xenforo software?

• vBulletin
    • Xenforo

Hi All

If you remember, for many years we used the forum software of vBulletin. Two years ago they released a new version that was saturated with bugs and I put up with it until early last year when I became ill and couldn't sustain the workload of managing the site, all the software updates, the bug fixes etc etc etc...so we changed over to Xenforo which whilst providing very limited features that I could give you here on the site, I was able to maintain a smaller workload in managing the site.

The opening of the Aircraft Enthusiasts site has allowed me a more recent look at the vBulletin software and I have found it now after 2 years of fixing by the developers, very much bug free, packed with features and very pleasant to use. In fact I have been able to make the Aviation Enthusiasts site very similar in its look and feel as this Xenforo one.

Naturally there always will be some slight differences and those that have been using this site over the years or visit other forum sites will know vBulletin as it is the most used forum software on the internet.

You can see vbulletin being used by simply visiting the Aviation Enthusiasts sister site.

The main benefits of vBulletin are:

- A far superior Video Library

- Ability for users to establish their own private usergroups (like a sub forum) for their Clubs, Aircraft Groups etc etc

- A specific a powerful Classifieds Sections

- A Blog System

- A better Aviation News system

- Personalised and customisable user profile page

- Greater ability to have more powerful Pilot Resource Section

- Greater variety of addons like "Likes" etc

- Ability to have single login across other own sites using the same software

The main benefits of Xenforo are:

- It's much more "prettier"

- Native "Like" system rather then an addon

- Slightly faster in display due to more modern code and less "extras" requiring loading

- Uses Social Media in a more native or entwined way

- Has "Alerts" system

- Has threaded PMs/Conversations with ability to invite other users into the conversation

- Fancier screens and popups

- More "social" in its overall functionality at the cost of structured user features

Note: the cosmetic differences between the two are just that "cosmetic" so it can be done to a certain extent that you wouldn't know the difference between Xenforo or vbulletin. In fact I announced the going live of the Aviation Enthusiasts site on a vBulletin forum site and the first comment made was that it was Xenforo and not vBulletin...until someone told them to look closer...so just about anything can be done with cosmetics to a point that switching from Xenforo here to vBulletin may hardly be noticed.

So my question is...Which software given all the above, given that we always use to use vBulletin which has greater features and now very stable, given that you are currently using Xenforo here now, do you think we should use...do you see the benefits of vBulletin...do you fear change...are you happy with just the limited features we have here now...would you like to see more user features like your own usergroups, better video library etc??????????????????????

To help you on I will vote "ambivalence" [1]

You are doing a great job and on deeper reflection and investigation I might prefer one over the other but in the meantime I will trust you.

Col 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

I'm with Col, can't vote 'cos I dunno. As long as I can come here and look around, contribute when I can and reference stuff when I want, I'm happy. Don't like the instability over the last few days but hey, change always has teething problems.

I'm easy Ian, just don't close the site down!!!

Pud

I'm easy Ian, just don't close the site down!!!

Pud

No Mate, just trying to make it bigger and better but it is getting hard to change the road travelled on when you are going flat out on a freeway

Guest Andys@coffs

To be honest from a users perspective I didnt notice all that much difference, but then Im like most and probably only know of 30% of the functionality of MS Word for example.

That all said the things I would look to to help me decide are:-

1) How much effortand cost is involved in changing

2) what diffences if any in ongoing costs, are the annual maintenances the same or are both open source so makes no difference

3) What involvement in maintaining the site do you need to put in. if <1% of users use a particular function and it takes up 10% of your maintenance effort...then ditch it, the <1% likely wont complain and will just live with current functionality that most do.

4) What ever the decision, I would think it should be the same for all the subsites. Having 2 flavours in use across the 3 sites is just going to exponentially increase the maintenance effort I would have thought.

5) perhaps its a function of my getting older and working in IT so to a degree cynical....Its not the technology here that brings me back, its the content. Content has always been king and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Anything which damages the content (posts being split or dissapeared, when they are fundamental to the threads is overall damaging.

Andy

I'm with Col, can't vote 'cos I dunno. As long as I can come here and look around, contribute when I can and reference stuff when I want, I'm happy. Don't like the instability over the last few days but hey, change always has teething problems.I'm easy Ian, just don't close the site down!!!

Pud

Me too, Pud. Don;t know why I do what I do but I just push buttons and it works sometimes.

kaz

Well, looking down Ian's list of features, I can't see any on the vBulletin list that light my fire, but I do like the alerts system (and the faster loading speed) of the Xenoforo, so that one got my vote.

Hi Ian, at the end of the day, what ever is the easiest for you ...........ditto to the above comments........I turn this compt thingy on....all works, chat and comment....Great by me......do what ever suits you.......Cheers Alley

What she said!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif