AusFly at Narromine - 13-15th September 2012

Tomo

Hello all, I have been reading your feedback on Natfly and having spent a year of my life organising the hangars, forums, equipment, encouraging people to give forums, talking to Council, Townspeople, printing programs, getting Temora aviation museum support, I must say your comments are more than discouraging. I won't be involved in organising Natfly ever again. I've done the program for 6 years. This year I had 8 hangars with forums for each hour of the day except lunchtime. Over 500 people PER HOUR were in forums. So somebody got something out of the weekend.

Now, where do I get the people for forums? I ask everyone I know on this and other forums for suggestions and I implement every one that is possible. I helped to write all the copy for the magazine, for the Natfly website, for local news to try and get more people to come. I wrote to every chapter of SAAA, who had a great program in two hangars, the gyro people came in force and I made sure they had forum and workshop spots, the women's pilot association came and gave a forum, and I invited the Balloons, the Warbirds, the Antiquers as well. I also invited CASA and they decided who they would send and their forums were well attended. I also invited Airservices and they sent a rep who gave two forums. I put invitations in all the magazines for airmen that would print them.

The office look after the Exhibitors, their sites, their costs and so on. I have nothing to do with that. The ops managers decide if there will be displays or not. They decided no for all displays except the aerobatics. Now, think about what you are suggesting. Paying someone to organise Natfly, means that the office will make all the decisions and people like me who put members first and foremost in the program planning will have no input. If we spend money on an event manager, then there will not be money for maintenance workshops, safety briefs throughout the year.

The cost of mounting Natfly, with the office and volunteers is huge. By the way, I managed to get over 50 community volunteers through media and radio ads I did on Temora Community Radio. So is your Event manager going to do that in our local community? Living here, so many people do things because they have a personal connection with me. I never wanted money, I only wanted for Natfly to satisfy the wants and needs of our members. Last year I was given a debit card to get signs, and other things for Natfly. With the new management and Board, that was taken away (even though I kept scrupulous records of expenditure with receips and a full report to the Board) and getting access to things for Natfly became too difficult.

What I am suggesting, is that paying someone to do a job will not necessarily end up with an event that

you guys will enjoy. But hey, you need to spend the next few years working your tail off organising from the inside, to really understand the enornmity of the task.

On the other side, SAAA have asked me to organise a Jabiru reunion for Ausfly, which I have agreed to do. So all of you Jabiru people, plan to come. I am planning morning tea for Jab people, I will have a marque for Jab flyers, some maitenance forums, and would like to hear your ideas on what we can offer Jabiruers who come.

Cazza (Carol Richards)

• Like 8
  • Winner 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I have been reading your feedback on Natfly and having spent a year of my life organising the hangars, forums, equipment, encouraging people to give forums, talking to Council, Townspeople, printing programs, getting Temora aviation museum support, I must say your comments are more than discouraging. I won't be involved in organising Natfly ever again. I've done the program for 6 years. This year I had 8 hangars with forums for each hour of the day except lunchtime. Over 500 people PER HOUR were in forums. So somebody got something out of the weekend.Now, where do I get the people for forums? I ask everyone I know on this and other forums for suggestions and I implement every one that is possible. I helped to write all the copy for the magazine, for the Natfly website, for local news to try and get more people to come. I wrote to every chapter of SAAA, who had a great program in two hangars, the gyro people came in force and I made sure they had forum and workshop spots, the women's pilot association came and gave a forum, and I invited the Balloons, the Warbirds, the Antiquers as well. I also invited CASA and they decided who they would send and their forums were well attended. I also invited Airservices and they sent a rep who gave two forums. I put invitations in all the magazines for airmen that would print them.

The office look after the Exhibitors, their sites, their costs and so on. I have nothing to do with that. The ops managers decide if there will be displays or not. They decided no for all displays except the aerobatics. Now, think about what you are suggesting. Paying someone to organise Natfly, means that the office will make all the decisions and people like me who put members first and foremost in the program planning will have no input. If we spend money on an event manager, then there will not be money for maintenance workshops, safety briefs throughout the year.

The cost of mounting Natfly, with the office and volunteers is huge. By the way, I managed to get over 50 community volunteers through media and radio ads I did on Temora Community Radio. So is your Event manager going to do that in our local community? Living here, so many people do things because they have a personal connection with me. I never wanted money, I only wanted for Natfly to satisfy the wants and needs of our members. Last year I was given a debit card to get signs, and other things for Natfly. With the new management and Board, that was taken away (even though I kept scrupulous records of expenditure with receips and a full report to the Board) and getting access to things for Natfly became too difficult.

What I am suggesting, is that paying someone to do a job will not necessarily end up with an event that

you guys will enjoy. But hey, you need to spend the next few years working your tail off organising from the inside, to really understand the enornmity of the task.

On the other side, SAAA have asked me to organise a Jabiru reunion for Ausfly, which I have agreed to do. So all of you Jabiru people, plan to come. I am planning morning tea for Jab people, I will have a marque for Jab flyers, some maitenance forums, and would like to hear your ideas on what we can offer Jabiruers who come.

Cazza (Carol Richards)

Dear Cazza,

Well I would like to say thanks for all the forums-for me they are the highlights of the 3 Natflys I have been to. Certainly where i learn the most. I wish I could say I understand all the tech-talk the SAAA guys were on about, maybe one day! The CASA and Airservices ones were great, but the best of all was the guy from Dynon Avionics-his presentation was absolutely fascinating. Hey, I even liked the ukeleles! But we ran out of instruments... :( (Everyone has the right to have a whinge). Just joking! Good idea whoever thought of that one. A bit of variety.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

cm

• Like 1

Cazza (Carol Richards)

Caz, My J200 lives in Narromine and a few others, let me know if I can help.

Wayne Johns Jabiru presentation at Natfly back in 2008 was excellent, The DVD is still something I watch every so often to get details. It was only for small groups and hands on which might be hard to replicate.

Your efforts @ Temora are outstanding and I doubt anyone either fully appreciates the time or money it takes to get it up and going.

I do think a combined event shares the workload and despite some arguments between organisers can result in wider audience and easier results and finances. More big ticket draw cards, more things for family = more visitors.

Jetjr, Thanks for the suggestion re Wayne johns. Will give him a ring, but have no budget so unless he plans to come anyway, I don't like our chances. I will ask the question. Carol

That man gives the most outstandingly informative maintenance talks I have heard, very detailed but practical.

Thanks for your work at Natfly Carol; I also am aiming to get to Narromine but it's a bit work dependant so it's an 'aspirational goal' at this stage as they say.

301706958_FlapLever2-Copy.JPG.a3630131030b312f8a7988248c2fd908.JPG

815342763_DashControls.JPG.64e3050dd9d655d6a4b15924782043c9.JPG

Louis,

Finally figured out how to do this ... Here are some photos of the 1951 Auster J1B VH-KBY. She is a 3 seater in OZ .. they are 4 seaters in the UK and NZ. CASA makes you remove the 4th set of seat belts which is stupid in my opinion because you could properly seat 2 small children with two sets of belts instead of fitting them under one. MTOW 902Kg. Needs 137metres to lift off at MTOW at ISO atmosphere (sea level at 15 degrees C). Cruises 91 knots @ 1800 RPM, 106 knots at 2000 RPM, stalls 24 knots in landing config (full flap) approach speed 40knots with lots of power to overcome the drag from the big flaps. Hell of a lot of fun to fly, you learn how to tap dance in cross winds. Powered by Gipsy Major Series II, Type III, inverted inline 4 cylinder, 6:1 Compression Ratio, 130 HP.

821676287_IMG_9863-Copy.thumb.JPG.d7ad3b1332e879adccb4932d81438250.JPG

642203717_LuskintyreHangar-Copy.JPG.c445a1f0764c13dfe45b99bd6d8343fa.JPG

1029995543_Nowra2004takeoff(2)-Copy.jpg.39e1863394b76275a2491de99ce22ddf.jpg

452882336_Nowraapproach2004.jpg.b1e53b9c9016c7ec2cf59311f634bd64.jpg

180861410_Seatsfront-Copy.JPG.40d270f6e7a874a7766fa6add3c0f659.JPG

203229932_Seatsrear-Copy.JPG.36f202a5561685e07868a6f2e145f830.JPG

1974764851_Tail2-Copy.JPG.1702527b5eec273d21cfe8189cb6b122.JPG

• Like 8

David...your showing some silver hairs there....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifScotty

PS: Damn nice bird you have there! 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Yes Scotty a lot more since Temora 2011 ... LOL. Those are my eldest Son's kids, 7 and 5, they live in Tumby Bay on the Eyre Peninsular in South Australia.

She is a nice old bird Scotty, cant wait to get her back in the air and I could land her on your model aircraft strip at Somerton if it is long enough ... LOL

Yes Scotty a lot more since Temora 2011 ... LOL. Those are my eldest Son's kids, 7 and 5, they live in Tumby Bay on the Eyre Peninsular in South Australia.She is a nice old bird Scotty, cant wait to get her back in the air and I could land her on your model aircraft strip at Somerton if it is long enough ... LOL

Yes sounds great! We have had a couple of Trikes and Gyro's land there! Dont land on the sealed strip as I dont think it is that thick. You might upset the natives! There is a grass strip along side it. If you do, make sure you overfly the house on the corner as he is a whinger! Says our models upset his horses! We were there first! We fly there on a Sunday morning. The website is www.tarmac.org.au if you havnt seen it already.

Scotty

[Finally figured out how to do this ... Here are some photos of the 1951 Auster J1B VH-KBY. .

Dang !!! That's one sweet lookin' airplane David... I'm guessing you must have told me at some stage that she's lockhaven yellow, but I'm damned if I remember it...

Looking at it in the full view, side on, arial shot, you sure can see its CG Taylor pedigree lines, eh?

Hello all, I have been reading your feedback on Natfly....... Over 500 people PER HOUR were in forums. So somebody got something out of the weekend.......(Wayne's edit: Bloody oath we did!!!)Cazza (Carol Richards)

Thank you, Carol. Thank you... You have done a truly outstanding job for us, and I for one want to thank you for what you have done...

045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif045_beg.gif.2b699b797444f766e16be595af97e233.gif super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Dang !!! That's one sweet lookin' airplane David... I'm guessing you must have told me at some stage that she's lockhaven yellow, but I'm damned if I remember it...Looking at it in the full view, side on, arial shot, you sure can see its CG Taylor pedigree lines, eh?

It wants to be a Cub when it grows up...075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
www.tarmac.org.au[/url] if you havnt seen it already.Scotty

Hey Scotty , I used to be a member of Tarmac back in the 80,s when they were north of town- small world. And when Tamworth gliding club amalgamated with NESC to become Lake Keepit I did one of the last ferry's of the blanik into the old Somerton strip next to the racecourse. Is it still there.

My sister has just moved there and I was hoping a strip was closeby. My Sav is good for 150m with clear approaches in and out. Are you outside the CTA?I'll keep in touch.

img_9863-copy-jpg.17691

Beautiful aeroplane, kids, but you don't look half as proud as the old bugger in the back seat!

Thank you, Carol. Thank you... You have done a truly outstanding job for us, and I for one want to thank you for what you have done...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif045_beg.gif.2b699b797444f766e16be595af97e233.gif super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Hear Hear!

• Like 2

I've got the SportStar booked for Ausfly. I'm going to go down with the dealer. Come buy a SportStar! 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Now to get accomodation. Anything I should avoid, I've never even been to that part of the country.

Does anyone know if you can hire cars in Narromine?

Cheers

Ryan