Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

Well it flys!! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifDid some work on it this morning before work and decided to do some high speed taxi runs again, with the wings on this time!! And since my rego had all come through this morning I didn't need any excuse to not see how it went. After a couple runs, I lifted it off the deck about a foot for a 100mtrs or so, and put it back down gently. Happy how it felt, backtracked and did it again but this time keeping a good ear on the engine and an eye on the egt temps I lifted it off and climbed away at about 65kts, which was about 800fpm from memory. Did a gentle left turn and kept climbing above the runway in an orbit to about 2000ft above ground. Throttled back and just cruised along for a minute or so, then gently pulled off power and held about 55kts which seemed a comfortable speed for glide at the time. Did a couple more orbits overhead and did a bit of a circuit pattern and come in for a fly down the strip. Levelled off at about 2ft and power back to full. I should add I have a low level endorsement, and owners permission for low flying!

Went around the circuit again and pulled up for a landing, which was pretty much a non event, three pointed very smoothly, remarkably easy to land and handle on the ground.

Here's a couple photos. Will get a video made up tomorrow or the next day when I get a chance, of the flight.

Getting ready...

All clear?!

In the air

Cruising along, once settled down it cruises about 70kts at 5800 or so

Well done Tommo. Enjoy.

Cheers

Mike

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good young fella. Landing looked good to me, you were very hot over the fence and it took a while to wash the speed off and you held her off right to the stall. I like your style. What is she like in a wheeler ... sensitive?

You did have a fair bit of power on in that stall Tomo, let us know what the difference is when it is power off sometime. I would expect that kind of wing drop on that very symmetrical wing and looking at the design I would think she is fairly agile on the controls.

Please stay safe young man, us Dads out here have a lot of interest in you ...

• Like 3

Looks good young fella. Landing looked good to me, you were very hot over the fence and it took a while to wash the speed off and you held her off right to the stall. I like your style. What is she like in a wheeler ... sensitive?You did have a fair bit of power on in that stall Tomo, let us know what the difference is when it is power off sometime. I would expect that kind of wing drop on that very symmetrical wing and looking at the design I would think she is fairly agile on the controls.

Please stay safe young man, us Dads out here have a lot of interest in you ...

I've only done one wheeler in it, which was my third ever landing in the plane, the one in this video being the second. But it was pretty easy, just wait till the mains touch and check forward a bit and it just sat there nicely. I let the tail down a bit fast though and it started flying again so had to then three point it in another landing! But I know for next time now to let it come down by itself or at least be slower first.

I did stall it with power off after a few with a bit of power, until I was happy with the way it recovered, and it still like to drop a wing, more so to the right than anything, but it was easy to recover. Be interesting to see how it stalls with the engine off...

Thanks for your support, and everyone else's also, thanks guys.

Guest Maj Millard

Nice stuff Tomo, see you've put in a rocket switch on the Ign, I'd thought of the same myself...nice. That wing drop didn't look too bad to me. Was that Dalby you were over ?...Don't know what the conditions were like, but I sense maybe a touch of lateral instability, you might think about dropping both ailerons a touch,(old Drifter trick !) it may take care of the instability and make the ailerons a bit firmer, and more effective. Please ignore if I'm totally off the mark there. Great to see you flying your own aircraft at last...and doing it well....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Here's a short video of a flight I did yesterday around Dalby - had to trailer it in there and take off from there as the runway I was using here at home is all mud at the moment from some rain! Flew if for about 45minutes, and so far the only things I want to change are the propeller... the harmonic frequency is terrible, and it's not getting full RPM either, so once we rectify that just imagine how much more performance this thing will get! Want to make the rudder travel a bit further too, rudder pedal adjust issue as there's plenty of room at the rudder itself.Home you enjoy

If you want a 3 blade Brolga propeller (it was on a 447 skydart) Phone 0438 250 404. (Tex might drop it off to you)

Kiwi

If you want a 3 blade Brolga propeller (it was on a 447 skydart) Phone 0438 250 404. (Tex might drop it off to you)Kiwi

Just tried calling Kiwi but just rang out.... anyway all I need to know is what length the blades are from the hub? That is my problem... the distance from the hub to the tail boom isn't much! The prop on it now is 45.5inches long and there's only about an inch of clearance.

Talking to Kiwi and he's gonna get you to bring it out next time if you can? 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Righto will do, not sure when I will make it out, but as usual that will be as soon as I can... probably around the end of the month.

• Like 1

Geoff, I would recommend them for any rotax 2-stroke, inverted or up right. They just give a more consistant start, better running, and longer life. I deliberatly ran a set out to 160 Hours once in my 582 Drifter. They had been cleaned and regapped several times, but at 160 Hrs were still doing fine. What caused me to discard them in the end ??.....the center post, (Precious metal-irridium ?) had rounded off to the point where I just couldn't gap them accuratly anymore, so it was time for a new set.Last time I purchased a set they were actually BR8EV, and were up to around $15 each, you may have to seek them out. I purchased them from a Honda bike dealer.

We originally discovered these plugs in the early 80s when most 2-strokes were single points-ign, pull start, and damn hard to start if real cold (northern California in Winter!). We'd generally get a start with them in two to three good pulls....................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi Maj got some BR8EV plugs today do l use the same gap setting that you use for BR8ES or is the gap different for these types of plugs.

cheers Geoff...

Well done Tomo,love the Vid,It looked a lot like my supercat in the stall.That too drops right wing and rudder is very sensitive so my first stab threw the left wing down,now stall recovery is just a small tap of left to speed up the right wing..anyway lovin the vids Keep it up mate.

Guest Maj Millard

Skyfox1, The BR8EV plugs are gapped the same. I seem to recall .022 worked well with them when I was using them on my 2-strokes. Lately I've been gapping my 912 plugs at .024 ", which is a thou less than they come out of the box. Anywhere from .022 to .025 should work ok...............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Good to see you have plane to go flying , the plane when i built it had a dual ing. i had fitted and an elect. fuel pump, the prop needs a lot more pitch to get the most out of it .many changes have been made over the years, but the wing rigging with the rear spring loaded drag spar , and pip pin was for quick rigging as we have to rig it every day .Hope you have a good time with it

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Morgan Aeroworks, Thanks for your post. I had a phone chat with Tomo the other night about the aircraft, and he mentioned he was feeling some elevator vibrations around 80 kts. I don't know if he's spoken to you about it or not. Do you recall when you designed/built the aircraft if it was necessary to have the all-moving stabalator neutrally static balanced ?....Thanks ..............Maj...

Here's a short video of a flight I did yesterday around Dalby - had to trailer it in there and take off from there as the runway I was using here at home is all mud at the moment from some rain! Flew if for about 45minutes, and so far the only things I want to change are the propeller... the harmonic frequency is terrible, and it's not getting full RPM either, so once we rectify that just imagine how much more performance this thing will get! Want to make the rudder travel a bit further too, rudder pedal adjust issue as there's plenty of room at the rudder itself.Home you enjoy

Nice video. Thanks for sharing the flight. Enjoy.

Cheers Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Dj............Several GA aircraft with stabalators use spring bias in the controls systems, to eliminate the tendency for excessive 'PIO" input, and to improve the 'feel' of the control. It would also assist the centering of the control if you took your hands off ?.....I believe the Aztecs and Partenavias both use them..................................Maj...

yes Maj but the word vibration implied a much higher frequency than the aircraft short period frequency related to a PIO. I don't know the configuration of the tab so an idle query. I know its not uncommon but I wouldn't expect such behaviour in bigger, faster certified airplanes where there would've been ground vibration tests, aeroelastic analysis and flight flutter/vibration tests.

Guest Maj Millard

I would have to agree with that Dj........Tomo mentioned he was feeling some vibration at around 80 kts, which would be at the upper end of his performance range. I suggested he might need to check the Stab for static balance, which he was going to do. He'll get back to us when he can I'm sure....He has also been getting some 'cavitation' from the less than ideal prop, I'm wondering if the two may be connected IE: bad air off the prop hitting the stab negativly at a certain speed /rpm range ?....................Cheers.............. Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Probabily correct again Dj........................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif