Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

I have no worriers at all about Tomos abilities as a pilot, hell only the good die young anyway, so he'll be right. Bad equipment has however got good pilots in the past (John Denver-clasic example) especially in the first few flights in an unfamiliar aircraft. My antennea go up big time when ever I take one on.......................................Maj...062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Anyone reading these posts would have to come to the conclusion that this is a fantastic site (thanks Ian and others).There are just so many top guys freely offering great advise and mateship, in the name of safety. It's just so good to see.

• Like 9

Anyone reading these posts would have to come to the conclusion that this is a fantastic site (thanks Ian and others).There are just so many top guys freely offering great advise and mateship, in the name of safety. It's just so good to see.

Hear, hear!

Spot on planedriver! It's why I contribute money via the 'Donate' button located right side of the main screen. I try to do this on a yearly basis, with the amount usually around $50, because I think I easily get that much value from this site. I encourage all here to try the same.

Come to think of it; I better check to see if my year is up:wink:

Pud

• Like 2

Done a bit more to it this afternoon!

Exhaust system

536106_2230232492090_1736203604_1074064_1994401491_n.jpg

538202_2230236172182_1736203604_1074065_1690002761_n.jpg

Bit closer up

205382_2230237972227_1440020638_n.jpg

There you go... bit more, I think I'm almost ready for an airborne run... this weekend probably.

The picture below is an example of an accident waiting to happen.

The exhaust springs are not pulling straight. They are stretched. And they have no safety wire or silicone to keep them from flying into the prop if/when they break.

With these exhaust springs, Tomo. If/when they break they can fly off and damage your prop. Which is what happened in this picture.

You can reduce the chances of this sort of damage by putting a lockwire loop around the spring (through the inside and then around the outside) and then laying a silastic bead over the lockwire and spring ends as shown below. I know this isn't pretty, but it works.

• Like 2

Spot on planedriver! It's why I contribute money via the 'Donate' button located right side of the main screen. I try to do this on a yearly basis, with the amount usually around $50, because I think I easily get that much value from this site. I encourage all here to try the same.Come to think of it; I better check to see if my year is up:wink:

Pud

Your year must be up Pud, you've just been demoted from First Class Member to Well-Known Member.

I also reckon that anyone who gets a dollar's worth of enjoyment from this site per week, DONATE $50 per annum to keep this operational. However, there's a little problem, the SITE DONATATION button currently reroutes you to:

Page Not Found

The page you have requested cannot be found.

Ian, you may have to look into this and let us know when it is working again 079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif

Thanks Wayne, I'll double check the tie wire on the springs, and consider the silicone.

Tomo hang your head in shame its not a Drifter. You must bring it down to Gympie sometime and let us have a look.happy and safe flying

I know, sorry Rob!! But why do I need to buy one when I can fly yours?! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif Nah seriously though, I would have if I could have afforded it, next time! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Your year must be up Pud, you've just been demoted from First Class Member to Well-Known Member.I also reckon that anyone who gets a dollar's worth of enjoyment from this site per week, DONATE $50 per annum to keep this operational. However, there's a little problem, the SITE DONATATION button currently reroutes you to:

Page Not Found

The page you have requested cannot be found.

Ian, you may have to look into this and let us know when it is working again 079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif

Thanks Mate...all fixed

Thanks Mate...all fixed

Fantastic!

.... anyone who gets a dollar's worth of enjoyment from this site per week, DONATE $50 per annum to keep this operational.

The SITE DONATION link (direct from this thread) is: http://www.recreationalflying.com/pilot_supplies/website-donation.html

I s'pose it's time to go:off topic:

You can reduce the chances of this sort of damage by putting a lockwire loop around the spring (through the inside and then around the outside) and then laying a silastic bead over the lockwire and spring ends as shown below. I know this isn't pretty, but it works.

I use the Dow Corning silastic RTV .... CLEAR ... better look than the red 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

The red is the heat resistant stuff its very expensive but can take exhaust temperatures....I have done exactly the same on the springs on my 912 on the Sav after advice from others about the springs breaking

Mark

The silicon based sealers originally invented by Dow Corning are indeed remarkable performing compounds used in the correct application. The automotive types have been designed to withstand exposure to petrochemicals and extremes of temperature. By their nature all of the silicon sealants, black, blue and in particular the blue and red are capable of handling phenomenal temperatures ... trying putting a acetylene flame on any of them and watch how they perform .. they will char up but remain intact; quite remarkable really. I would go for the red silicon; its identified immediately as the appropriate product and easier to check its condition, even though the blue RTV would perform OK as well.

Checking the condition of safety wires and silicon on the exhaust springs on pusher propulsion aircraft should be a mandatory pre-flight inspection requirement with grounding of the aircraft if found unsound. I certainly would never fly a pusher in any circumstance where anything loose on the engine could end up through the propeller with potentially catastrophic circumstances in the extreme case. That also goes for safety wires through the induction system filters etc. These are not so critical in a tractor configuration, but lose an exhaust system on a two stroke and all the performance goes out the window not to mention the other hazards and damage that flaming exhaust ports can create. The exhaust and induction system on two strokes are a critical design that ensures the correct crankcase 'pulse' which is effectively the 'heartbeat' of the two stroke. As long as there is a healthy 'pulse', fuel and spark they are remarkably reliable. If you understand two strokes and carry out regular checks and maintenance, the good old points single ignition 447 is quite reliable.

• Like 1

I used black on my 582 and haven't had any problems with heat.If you wrap a piece of tape around the outside of the spring, and pump the goo up the middle it looks a little neater.

Regards Bill

Thanks for that Bill,

I've seen heat shrink put around the spring, but I hadn't thought of putting the silastic up inside it. It'd definately look neater, and hey, it might work better too.

On one engine that has been brought to me, there was no silastic on the springs. Two springs were missing, the rest were rusty, and worn where they'd been rubbing against the exhaust's attachment "hooks", causing an indentation in the "hooks" as well. It wasn't expensive to buy replacement springs from Bert Flood's, nor was it a big job to put them on. But replacing the "Hooks" on the exhaust will be a bigger job when it becomes neccessary. For the moment, I have put silastic on and am monitoring it in the hope that it'll slow down the "rubbing", and therefor the wear rate. Eventually though, I expect we're going to have to take the exhaust off, grind off the old "Hooks" and have new ones welded on. The question is: when?

I used black on my 582 and haven't had any problems with heat.If you wrap a piece of tape around the outside of the spring, and pump the goo up the middle it looks a little neater.

Regards Bill

The beauty about doing this is it takes the harmonic vibrations out of the springs as the silicone absorbs it and they will last for years.

Well it flys!! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Did some work on it this morning before work and decided to do some high speed taxi runs again, with the wings on this time!! And since my rego had all come through this morning I didn't need any excuse to not see how it went. After a couple runs, I lifted it off the deck about a foot for a 100mtrs or so, and put it back down gently. Happy how it felt, backtracked and did it again but this time keeping a good ear on the engine and an eye on the egt temps I lifted it off and climbed away at about 65kts, which was about 800fpm from memory. Did a gentle left turn and kept climbing above the runway in an orbit to about 2000ft above ground. Throttled back and just cruised along for a minute or so, then gently pulled off power and held about 55kts which seemed a comfortable speed for glide at the time. Did a couple more orbits overhead and did a bit of a circuit pattern and come in for a fly down the strip. Levelled off at about 2ft and power back to full. I should add I have a low level endorsement, and owners permission for low flying!

Went around the circuit again and pulled up for a landing, which was pretty much a non event, three pointed very smoothly, remarkably easy to land and handle on the ground.

Here's a couple photos. Will get a video made up tomorrow or the next day when I get a chance, of the flight.

Getting ready...

All clear?!

In the air

Cruising along, once settled down it cruises about 70kts at 5800 or so

• Like 12

Guest Maj Millard

Well done Tomo.clap.gif..looks great, happy you had a safe and enjoyable flight...boy lot of cotton to the South there Huh.........looking foward to that video !.....jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif..keep it safe.............................................Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif