Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

Guest Maj Millard

For anyone not familiar, that's tomos' neighbors strip underneath the fresh air vent in the last photo, with his house off to the left, and no doubt Tomos' familiar with those cotton fields to the South !............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maj Millard said;

Yes Tomo I'd probabily put in a facet cube pump

Tomo, if I remember right, I think there was a facet pump in one of the assorted boxes in the trailer....?

Arthur.

• Like 1

What a fantastic aircraft Tomo,it reminds me so much of my Winton Swing Wing.

Congratulations on your very successful test flight....I wonder if Gary Morgan still has the moulds for this aircraft??? we could do with some more 'Light' aircraft in the skies.

Alan.

• Like 2

What a fantastic aircraft Tomo,it reminds me so much of my Winton Swing Wing.Congratulations on your very successful test flight....I wonder if Gary Morgan still has the moulds for this aircraft??? we could do with some more 'Light' aircraft in the skies.

Alan.

I agree Alan,

If it flys as good as it looks, it would be a fantastic little fun machine and commuter. We need some of these 95-10 low cost types again and I believe the Sapphire is out of production again. Maybe Gary could could pick up on these as well.

Yep I pretty sure the Sapphire is out of production.Great aircraft, but I think the sticker price was pretty expensive, compared to already built 2nd hand Sapphires.The whole business was forsale for a long time.

My Son-in-law Kevin has just (in the last hour) landed at Taree in the Morgan Sierra so I have asked him to mention it to Gary.

Not sure which engine would now be suitable but there must be something around.

What do other Forumites think of the idea???

Alan.

• Like 2

My Son-in-law Kevin has just (in the last hour) landed at Taree in the Morgan Sierra so I have asked him to mention it to Gary.Not sure which engine would now be suitable but there must be something around.

What do other Forumites think of the idea???

Alan.

I reckon let Tomo do some more flying in it and see if there was any reason it was not flown for some time.

• Like 2

Good to hear the first flights went well and that you were able to take a pic or two, too! Very nice indeed.

I'd love to have my own aircraft and am heavily considering the Rans S10 in the classifieds... I need something with dual control for my RA-Aus Instructor rating, tailwheel and future endeavors and particularly like the efficiency of the Rans designs. Very jealous of you at the moment, as I'm sure more than a few are.

Loving it mate, hope you really enjoy her.

All the best - boingk

Was thinking that nose looks like it needs something then it came to me - the fuse is missing!Don't try any kamikaze stuff Tomo....

Would be handy with a .308 self-loader, be good for doing porkers.

• Like 2

Here's a short video of a flight I did yesterday around Dalby - had to trailer it in there and take off from there as the runway I was using here at home is all mud at the moment from some rain! Flew if for about 45minutes, and so far the only things I want to change are the propeller... the harmonic frequency is terrible, and it's not getting full RPM either, so once we rectify that just imagine how much more performance this thing will get! Want to make the rudder travel a bit further too, rudder pedal adjust issue as there's plenty of room at the rudder itself.

Home you enjoy

• Like 6

How good it must feel to be flying and trailering your own plane? jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif Looks like a bit of work to do on landing. I look forward to seeing it in person gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

Looks like you're getting used to it there Tomo, so when we meeting up at pittsworth?Also how was the stall, looks like it has a bit of wing drop there?

I hope I'm getting used to it! Though that was my second landing I'd done in it, so it's not that hard if I can do it! Yeah stall was really interesting, I was still a little unsure if I had enough weight up front so was being careful how hard I stall it. I kept a little bit of power on which is probably why it dropped to the right, then I put some left rudder in to stop it and then it flicked to the left, so it's pretty sensitive. Recovery is good though... but it's quick at rolling over! Flicks over and down very fast! Was going to go flying today too, but it's raining here now... 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

How good it must feel to be flying and trailering your own plane? jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif Looks like a bit of work to do on landing. I look forward to seeing it in person gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

Yes it's pretty cool! Smokey took it for a run yesterday while I went for a blast in his Drifter! It's actually quite easy to land, very pitch sensitive as to be expected with the all flying elevator, but three points just like a drifter. Actually wheelers pretty well too, though gotta be patient to get the tail down otherwise it just flies again! It was quite windy yesterday and had a fair cross wind which is why it probably looks harder, and I came in way to fast!

• Like 1

The wing drop is probably caused by having little or no washout. I thought the elevators would be sensitive. Some keep the stick held between thumb and finger and have the arm resting on a leg to steady it. You're game using tarmac for your first circuits. Grass is more forgiving ( but you know that and were just showing us how good you are) Regards Nev

• Like 4

That looks brilliant Tomo, feeling very green with envy 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif. So happy for you.

As you rightly say, once you iron the harmonics with a different prop it'll probably quite a slippery little aircraft, and with a few more hours under the belt, you'll probably feel even more comfortable with it.

I'm sure we can all hear your "Ye Haaaa's"

The wing drop is probably caused by having little or no washout. I thought the elevators would be sensitive. Some keep the stick held between thumb and finger and have the arm resting on a leg to steady it. You're game using tarmac for your first circuits. Grass is more forgiving ( but you know that and were just showing us how good you are) Regards Nev

Yes that's probably true, not overly concerned, stall symptoms are very obvious before it actually 'lets' go so that's good. (stick shakes quite a lot)

Can't say I'm that good Nev! But it's not that bad on the ground, grass would be nice, or gravel, but my strip near home is all wet and the gravel one had black soil up the edges which I decided wasn't a good move to use when I'm not used to the aircraft, be a bit sad running off the gravel and hit the soft stuff! Which is why I headed into Dalby.

Holding the stick lightly is certainly the way to go for a smooth flight.

Was it purely by chance that the singer sang "we don't really have control" just as the wing dropped...

Haha, I was still figuring if I had control, seems I did 'cause I'm still here!! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

The red is the heat resistant stuff its very expensive but can take exhaust temperatures....I have done exactly the same on the springs on my 912 on the Sav after advice from others about the springs breakingMark

Hi absolutely, top advice.

Cheers

Mike