Weight-loss Goals

Those of you who have met me know that I look more like an overfed Christmas turkey than a lean mean Emu machine. So, after having reached the new Middle-Age, I've decided that I have to regain the svelte form of my early years. My goal is to get down to about 85-90 Kg, or 13.5 - 14 stone in real money.

All the diet books say that you need to set intermediate goals to maintain the effort. So far I have these goals:

115 kgs - I meet the seat-weight limit for a CTS

100 kgs - I can go for a decently long flight in a J-160.

85-90kgs - I can have a comfortable (?) flight in Economy class to England.

Can anyone suggest goals for 110 kgs; 105 kgs, and 95 kgs?

Old Man Emu

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest thing is knowing where you want to be, and you sound like you know what you want. Milestones along the way are good, but its best not to be too hung up on 'getting down' to the latest goal. Just change a few things and over time you'll find that you'll start losing weight. I'd suggest weighing yourself only one or two mornings a week - keep a log if you want so you can keep track of where you are and where you want to be. A good, acheiveable figure to lose is around 0.5~1kg a week. Some weeks will be better than others but so long as your weight keeps trending downwards then you're on the right track.

I'd also suggest just changing a few things to start off with; eating regular and enjoyable meals but perhaps of a smaller portion size for example. Don't rule out takeaway, but instead try and limit it to one night a week. Packing lunches helps a lot with this I reckon; I'm a serial convenience takeawayer if I don't.

The biggest thing is to be active. I don't mean the whole Biggest Loser 24/7 personal trainer crud either, just do something 'active' for 30min or more 3 times a week or more. Doesn't matter if its some hardy weed-pulling down the garden or walking the dog, it all adds up.

Lastly, I'll add that everyone is different. Part of this will govern what you can/can't do in terms of eating and excercise. For example, I'm an active young guy of 6'2" and roughly 90kg. If I ate the 'recommended' 8700kJ a day energy intake I'd starve to death! I need something around 13,000kJ a day to keep my body ticking over... or about 50% more than what is recommeded. Check out 8700.com.au for a better idea of what you need, it really does help put it into perspective.

Cheers - Enoch

Take off 1 kg/week as a target. it's a waste of time taking it off if you don't keep it off. You need a total change of attitude to nutrition. Eat no Sh8t Give up all processed crap. It's full of fats (some bad ones) salt and sugar. No fizzy drinks, If you are serious give up the grog, eat fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, lean meat, bran oats nuts beans etc no pastries cakes, most cheese sausages salami ice cream( You wouldn't want to know what goes in it). Look at all the labels carefully and study non FAD dietary possibilities.

Most say I would rather be dead than eat that stuff.( You may get your wish. western fast food is lethal, but very profitable). After a while you won't want to eat it anyhow. Good luck. Nev

I really want to fly in a Sports Star but have been told max weight is 100kg. I way 115kg. So I now cycle for 20 minutes every morning and have given up alcohol. we will see what happens. Cruel thing is I never eat take away I cant stand the stuff. I am currently flying a Jab 160.

• Like 1

Those of you who have met me know that I look more like an overfed Christmas turkey than a lean mean Emu machine. So, after having reached the new Middle-Age, I've decided that I have to regain the svelte form of my early years. My goal is to get down to about 85-90 Kg, or 13.5 - 14 stone in real money.All the diet books say that you need to set intermediate goals to maintain the effort. So far I have these goals:

115 kgs - I meet the seat-weight limit for a CTS

100 kgs - I can go for a decently long flight in a J-160.

85-90kgs - I can have a comfortable (?) flight in Economy class to England.

Can anyone suggest goals for 110 kgs; 105 kgs, and 95 kgs?

Old Man Emu

I know us men are reputed to be not as good as women at multitasking. But perhaps, this multitasking is just what we need? This way we lose weight as well as get to fly... simultaneously:

pedal-powered-aircraft_5.jpg.15da6cfc99a556d746d3f1c3fafe2101.jpg

• Like 3

I think I've been looking for the wrong kind of plane. The guy who went across the English Channel was a lightweight athlete and he was knackered at the end of his trip. However if the fabric wing covering was actually a solar cell.......

I've just made a real commitment to getting lighter ...I am carrying about 35kg more then I should ...Met

so it won't be long before both of us can get into a Std Decathlon together with enough fuel to do something useful .... then we give the Pitts a go ...
  • Like 2

Maybe 95kg would work for an Aerochute / PPC (guessing) OME?

For me activity makes little difference (already reasonably active at work) and if you do the math - exercise vs kj - it is easy to see why as most food is extremely energy dense and more exercise makes you hungrier to boot. If I tank out on fat and protein with very little carb (basically an all-meat diet with no bread, potatoes & sugar etc) I loose weight really fast with no hunger. So bacon & eggs for breakfast, some cream for smoko, fish & salad for lunch, big roast with veg for dinner. The most recent studies are inverting decades of dietary theory - a high fat diet including lots of saturated fat actually lowers cholesterol & blood pressure also for most people; saturated fat / butter / cream is high in vitamin K2 which in now known to reduce atherosclerosis. The folk in the old days that ate lard, dripping and cod liver oil turned out to be smarter than most no fat no salt dieticians today.

• Like 2

My wife, son and I were going to go the Lite & Easy way. We got the first week's lunches, snacks and dinners for the 1800 calorie intake. I quite liked everything, and wasn't feeling hungry, but the wife and son got stomach troubles when they ate the dinners, so we ditched L&E. I had one of the left-over meals recently and ended up as though I'd eaten a block of Laxettes. I've usually got cast iron guts, so there must be something in the food that doesn't agree with me.

The week on L&E did show us that we could survive on smaller portions, so that's what we are doing now. No fancy "diet food"; no "half a bullock" on a plate for dinner, and drastically reduced intake of biscuits and ice cream. Sometimes I get an empty feeling in my belly, but I can usually get over it with a cuppa and a pinch of will power. Mind you, seeing a smaller value on the scales each week is like scoring a Golden Point try, or kicking a winning six-pointer right on the siren.

So now I have suggestions for the 95kg goal (Drifter or Aerochute). What are some goals for 110 and 105 kg?

OME

• Like 1

Easiest way is to eat food... I mean proper food as provided by nature... stuff that actually grows in the ground rather than a laboratory... stop eating sugar and gluten ... which is rather tricky cause when you look into it 99% of the stuff they are selling us as food these days is loaded with it...

110kg - maximum safe load on any glider seat.

105kg - weight limit for tandem skydiving.

90kg suggestion - weight limit on many folding bicycles.

(I just bought a folding bike with the idea of not being restricted to the airport I fly into, seems like a good idea and fitness-promoting to boot!)

- Enoch

"Diets" are not the thing to go for, your body simply adapts to the suddenly new amount of energy input by slowing the metabolism leading to the plateau and yo-yo part of never ending energy input restrictions and weight gain, and feeling tired and exhausted all the time.

The KEY thing is to increase your energy expenditure by getting adequate exercise. This not only burns off energy (fat) while you are exercising, but also due to muscles higher resting energy needs, while you rest between exercising. Couple this with a slowly reducing calorific input so the body doesn't try to slow it's metabolism and you should get the best long term sustainable weight loss to "normal" levels. You will lose size initially, but may not actually lose weight until muscle growth and the extra energy requirements kick in fully.

Folks there is no other way, pure and simple. Energy in < energy out. Some things you can control, others you can't control easily. Work on the easy ones.

Before you ask, I'm definitely no gym junkie, but I do make sure to put aside time for some exercise most days when I'm not at work (walk 1-2 hrs). I too have the middle age spread, sitting at about the 100kg/178cm size, but have lowered this from about 110kg with no major changes in diet over the last year or so and I am slowly reducing portion sizes.

Gary R.N.

• Like 1

110kg - maximum safe load on any glider seat.105kg - weight limit for tandem skydiving.

90kg suggestion - weight limit on many folding bicycles.

(I just bought a folding bike with the idea of not being restricted to the airport I fly into, seems like a good idea and fitness-promoting to boot!)

- Enoch

190kg the weight required to make a folding bicycle:poke_tongue_out:

• Like 1

110kg - maximum safe load on any glider seat.

105kg - weight limit for tandem skydiving.

90kg suggestion - weight limit on many folding bicycles.- Enoch

The glider flying is OK, but I'm not stepping out of a functioning aircraft for anybody!

I did some calculations:

1 litre petrol = 0.72 kg

1kg = 1.39 litres petrol

10 kg = 13.9 litres petrol

13.9 litres petrol = 1 hour's petrol consumption of a Jabiru engine (plus 4 minutes reserve)

Therefore 10kg = 1 hour's range.

OME

The glider flying is OK, but I'm not stepping out of a functioning aircraft for anybody!I did some calculations:

1 litre petrol = 0.72 kg

1kg = 1.39 litres petrol

10 kg = 13.9 litres petrol

13.9 litres petrol = 1 hour's petrol consumption of a Jabiru engine (plus 4 minutes reserve)

Therefore 10kg = 1 hour's range.

OME

Now, if you put it like that, it looks pretty stark!

You've done well, Met, it would've been about four weeks ago that you asked me if I had stopped eating - I need to buy a new belt now too so you can have my current one - near new, or you can enjoy the shopping and trying to convince the sales lady that you want it at the last notch rather than the first.

[edited to note - time to get a new pic - the one at this time has the belt as of a year ago - perhaps a group photo with Met, Tomo and myself - it'll be hard to tell us apart in a few years]

My motivation was to retain my Class 1 medical and going to the gym so I could easily get in and out of the front hole of a Pitts.

If anyone is interested - iPhone/iPad app Tactio TargetWeight is good for me.

• Like 1

I have come too the conclusion that modern males are never going to be the 77Kg that the FAA and CASA think we are.Unless your name is Tomo.I was nearly rejected from the airforce at 18 because I had a weight of 52 Kg. Well under weight for my height.3 hot meals a day and fitness got me up to 56Kg when I finished recruit training back in Feb 1989.I peaked at about 58Kg at RAAF School Technical Training about four months in.I ran the 2.4 km run in 9 minutes 15.From their it was down hill.LOL I finished at Wagga a 12 month stint at 68Kg.12 months of classroom and beer.Still under weight for my height.Posted too Amberley 482 SQN 9th feb 1990. I left the RAAF in April 1998;I joined BAE as a crew cheif, Tornados lived in Kamis mushayt lived at 7200 Feet above sea level.No achohlol.I used to play cricket and run. I was 28 at the time.I was by far the fittest that I had ever been.Probably weight in at 78 KG That was my peak.I used to go to the gym 5 days a week and on a rowing machine row 10 kays plus weights.2 times a week row 20 kays.Now at 42 I weigh about 98Kg, and I am not fit.I could lose some weight.I am 179cm Tall.

Goody on you Matty,

You may remember I had some health issues that cost me my Class 2 about three years ago and it was a real wake up call. I eventually got the CASA clearance that as long as I can pass the medical they will remove my 'as or with co-pilot' restriction. But I knew iwas overweight. I was 72Kg when I got married and stayed that weight for many years, slowly it came up and I was having some health issues that I thought little of. My wife and daughters had been at me about the health risks my over weight represented for someone in my age bracket 56 at the time.

I think we seriously under estimate the effect of a few kilos over weight. I was shocked one morning weighing myself at 95 Kgs. Doesn't sound much to many big guys these days, but remember I was a skinny kid, ADHHHHD, and never stood still when I was young, so I burn't off everything I ate ... well that changed didn't it as it does for most of us. I am only 5ft 11.

Soooh ... I recognised that discipline and habit was an issue for me, I would get on a roll working and just not stop untill the blood sugar ran out and then what would I do ... eat anything I could get my hands on in a hurry ..., usually sugar laden ... and there is the MAJOR problem. So I too went to Jenny Craig to set up a patterm of 6 meals a day 3 main and 3 snacks, portion and kilojoule controlled.

I set a goal of 80Kgs before I would go for my medical and I got there, I took it slowly over 9 months. Now I monitor and control my own intake. I still have a goal to get to 75 Kgs ( a shorter version of Tomo ... LOL).

All my friends are saying "you have lost enough", that is how accustomed we are to being comfortable with overweight.

BTW ... all the health issues I was having have completely gone. YES GONE. Gone in just losing 15 Kgs. Amazing.

There are no secrets here.

Its energy in versus energy out as GG so ably put.

Nevs advice is also excellent.

Here are some good tips:

Avoid sugar at all costs ... sugar is white death. (natural fruit and veg sugars are OK)

All this BS about fats is BS if you cut out sugar. Nothing wrong with natural saturated fats if your diet is balanced. I eat butter, cream etc, although if I avoid dairy I do feel slightly better so there is some merit in avoiding dairy if you can.

Eats lots of good quality live food (Fruit and vegetables, raw is best) raw food is the best protection against cancer you could ever have. 51% of every meal should ideally be raw food. Yep RAW.

Discipline yourself to eat regularly to keep the metabolism up.

Limit the amount of bread and pastas (damn it, I like bread especially the sour dough I make ... LOL).

Exercise regularly, power walk ride bikes, swim, (non impact is best) but make sure you have peak and rest cycle in you exercise. Resistance exercise is good for older blokes as well.

Control meal portion sizes and that is easier if you eat regularly.

Jenny Craig food is crap really and it is not the best at controlling sugar intake, but it is designed to be easier for controlling cravings and establishing good habits in portions and regular eating. It is a good start to set up some discipline. It worked for me. I don't need it now, I can balance my food intake myself.

All power to you buddy and anyone else who is trying to lose weight.

Having an aviation related motive to lose weight works well for us guys ... don't knock it.

• Like 1

Variations of the CSIRO diet are not a bad place to start. You can do yourself harm by dieting incorrectly. there is no end to investigating the effects of food and lifestyle, on health. The need is demonstrated over and over. It's not hard once you make the decision to do it. You have to be fair dinkum. Your mates will "bag" you when you demonstrate will power. If you are prediabetic, puffing on steps, blood pressure high etc, as soon as the weight STARTS coming off the symptoms change, particularly the diabetic indications. Don't wait till you get diabetes. heed the warning signs, and if you are STILL smoking, the SINGLE best move for your future is stop right now. The addiction to nicotine, salt, sugar, caffeine, fats is strong. It's not easy. ( but necessary)

Incidently the safe intake of trans-fats is ZERO. Also nearly all elderly people will have an intolerance to lactose. ( Dairy farmers don't mention that) also the abundant calcium in it is not readily available to our bodies. There's a lot of good facts out there these days, ( with a bit of BS also but you guys/gals are smart, ( cause you can fly aeroplanes) so go to it. You need motivation. Make it flying for longer, seeing more of your grandkids, wanting to outlive someone you don't like.. ( whatever works) Nev

• Like 1

We have a Intensive Care Paramedic at work.When im on shift, standard operating procedure for the resource sector these days. Lindon realy researches and knows alot about dieting.(he doesnt have much else to do at work). He agrees with the above.Cut out sugar and you will lose weight and be alot heathier.

I like my sugar though.I have also been a non smoker for over 6 months now.Maybe I will cut out sugar as a new goal next year.029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif