Weight-loss Goals

This thread has made me feel grateful. Sometimes you forget how lucky you are. Thanks.

My line of work is far from stress free, but at least my battles are with nature and the weather rather than with people intent on playing the corporate game with $ signs in their eyes and the greasy pole firmly in their grasp. True, I have to deal with fickle world markets, wet and dry, and prices for inputs and machinery that would make an aviation dealer blush. But it all pales into insignificance when you see your crops growing strong, or when the calf you just helped a cow to give birth to draws its first breath and opens its eyes.

My turn to cook tonight, and it was T-bone steaks on the barbie, grown here on the farm, and 4 fresh veg. At 48 years I have a bit of a middle age spread going on, and I'm short, but not going too bad at 71kg. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 3

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody Hell! The Carbon Tax starts today, and I've just realised that now they are taxing weight loss.

Up until I decided to lose weight, I was doing my bit for the environment by sequestering carbon as body fat. Now that I am losing weight, I'm releasing that stored carbon into the atmosphere, so I am a Nett Carbon Producer, and will have to pay the Carbon Tax.

This is how I figured out how much tax I have to pay:

The average animal fat molecule has Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen in the ratios of C (75%):Hydrogen (12.5%):Oxygen(12.5%) by weight

That means that for every kilo of fat, there are 750gms of Carbon.

The price of Carbon is $24.00 per tonne, which is 2.3 cents per kg.

Since 1 kg of fat is 75% Carbon, the of Carbon Tax value of a kg of fat is 1.725 cents.

For each 10 kgs of weight I lose, I will owe 17.25 cents, and if I lose the 40 kgs I want to, I've got yo give Julia a $0.69-er.

OME

hi i have battled for 25 years but have cut out bread'butter'cheese 'suger and am finally losing the weight 10 kilos so far my goal is 95 kilos and if i get there before the morgan is finished i will try for 90 kilos i am 5ft 8 inches 64 old and my wife is very happy that this flying has motivated me , Ome keep at it you will get there cheers Gareth

• Like 3

Guest turk182

I'm on the first hole in my belt , just today, it feels good to be thinking about getting a new belt for the right reasons. Keep going fellas ,think of the rate of climb we'll see !

Guest Howard Hughes
and if I lose the 40 kgs I want to, I've got yo give Julia a $0.69-er.

Is that meant to be an incentive?022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Old man, I've lost 100kg, kept it off and in October will be riding my pushbike from Sydney to Brisbane in the 1200kms for kids to raise money for the Childrens Hospitals, pm me if you want some more info!

• Like 4

Thanks guys, bum is slowly getting there! Lots of Chamois Creme into my knicks and I'm riding about 50-75km a day with a 150-200km ride on a Sunday at the moment, 30kg in about 3 mths is doable compulsion, but unless you have a reason to drop so much weight so soon I wouldn't. PM me if you want to discuss further.

My congratulations, Crazy. With that display of will power, a bike ride to Brisbane and back will be a cake walk for you. Makes my desired weight loss a mere drop in the bucket, but I guess that reaching one's goal is equally important to everyone, no matter how far away that goal was at the beginning.

OME

OME, mate only riding up, 1200 kms is far enough :-) Not silly enough to ride home too! It was just that I had more to lose, no more or less important, we each value our own struggles, challenges, goals etc the same I think, you'll be right, pm me and we can have a chat about it, if you're at Mount Annan I ride there every Sunday morning out to old Razorback!

Thats the way, Crazy D! All the best on the bicycle journey!

On losing weight, yeah, I might not be one to talk about it... what with me being young and fit and all that, but the best diet I was ever on was at university.

• I had a very limited food budget ($50~70/wk)

• I bought mainly fresh veggies and meat

• I ate little carbohydrate

• I excercised often (2km bike ride to and from campus daily)

Main meals were mostly steak (blade cut; lean and cheap) with veg, burritos, home-made pizza or vegetarian tortellini (spinach/fetta type). Sometimes I would treat myself takeaway, but that was rare.

My burrito recipe is really got me through as it was cheap, nutritios and easy to make in bulk which enabled me to shop efficiently.

500g lamb or lean beef mince

1 largish onion (diced)

1 can three-bean mix

1 large clove garlic (2 small)

Raguletto pasta sauce (garlic & red wine, from woolies)

cummin & chilli flakes, or half a small packet of 'Burrito Seasoning'

Brown the onion with a bit of olive oil, throw in the mince and break up with spatula, throw in sauce, beans and garlic and stir well. Simmer for a bit and throw in the cummin and chilli flakes to taste. You'll want a largish pinch of chilli and maybe half a teaspoon of cummin to start with.

Simmer to reduce the sauce for a bit (15min) and then serve with burrito wraps (best I ever found were Woolies Homebrand), red capsicum, tomato and lettuce. Add a small amount of vintage cheese if you want (vintage tastes better so dont have to use much).

Unused mix can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to a week, and if you ommit the spices & beans and add a can of crushed tomatoes then you have the begginning of a good pasta sauce! Add some basil and olives, perhaps a tad of grated carrot, you'll love it.

Anyway enough from me, I'm off to bed. Havagoodone!

- Enoch

• Like 1

everybodey's shouting about artificial food but sugar IS natural as its grows/ crushed, and solidified, no chemicals like Esparamine (poisen when heated) or Sacherine (cancer causing)

• Like 1

Sugar, fat, whatever... if you eat more then you should in terms of energy value then you will gain weight no matter what you eat.

The big thing is to check out how much you're eating vs how much you're burning. This varies widely from person to person - I burn around 13,000kJ/day and therefore need to eat about half as much again as the 'average person' just to keep ticking over.

Again, 8700.com.au is a useful site for finding that figure out. Just plug in your age, sex, height, weight and activity level (low/med/hi @ work/rest) and it'll figure out a rough guide for you.

Cheers - Enoch.

boingk spot on really, energy in vs energy out, simple calculation, we get so wrong!

Sugar in itself is a hot topic in weightloss and general health at the moment, there are a lot of camps saying that we're eating way too much of the stuff in its processed form (not in say its natural form found in bananas etc) and that the avg adult today has in their kitchen something like as much sugar as say our great grandparents saw in their lifetime...

Personally I haven't been tested but would like to be to see if I am yeast intolerant (celiacs disease), if I eat bread, or quite starchy carb products I often literally bloat out, some people get violently ill. I'd say eat whatever you want, in moderation, move your body and you should be ok!

• Like 1

Hi guys

I haven't lost anywhere near as much weight as crazy diamond thats just a wicked effort 100kg, But I've been using optifast shakes to lose weight over the past month I have lost over 10kgs and feeling great. Im not sure how healthy it is but it works and im eating more fruit and vege than I have ever eaten, Substitute two meals a day with the shakes and then I just eat fruit and vege to keep full, and get to have a prober meal for tea nice simple low calorie dinner. I've tried many things to lose weight this is the first to work, but it all comes back to put less in than you burn and you will lose weight its simple. Simple but can be hard to achieve takes lots of will power,

good luck everyone with there weight loss its a great feeling once you start losing it.

Also I found the other day I took the drifter up, climbed up nice and high and practiced some stalls and noticed that the nose didnt won't to drop in the stall anymore might have to look at putting some ballast up front 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif.