Jab down at Wentworth

Guest SAJabiruflyer
No, It is 24 rego'd.. It can be done if Jabiru supply it for you. I think they caved under the pressure of me and the engineer abusing them about the quality of their fence paling props.

Ahhhh interesting, thanks for that. So it's REALLY made a big difference hey? Is it 2 or 3 bladed? Is the pitch the same or different? I ask of course because I have a keen interest in props as a friend makes them for a living!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Anyone who does a lot of flying knows the value of the right prop, matched to the aircraft and engine. You just know your getting the best out of everything when you get it right.

The difference between different prop types can be vast.

The ground -adjustable props give a wide range of flexability, and you can dial them into the type of performance you desire IE: max climb/takeoff performance or best cruise speed..The slippery streamlines Jabs should benifit well from the right prop...................................................................Maj...

No, It is 24 rego'd.. It can be done if Jabiru supply it for you. I think they caved under the pressure of me and the engineer abusing them about the quality of their fence paling props.

And it works ?..... keeping the LSA classification too ?... could you please give me some Jabiru part numbers please? The lack of "120 knots @ 2900 rpm" has always pissed me off 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif . It was raised on the handover flight with the test pilot at Jabiru for 24-7595. The "at 20 litres per hour" I gave up on when I bought 24-5083 in 2007 bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif ......

Marcus

Guest Andys@coffs

mlpinaus

In my opinion the only way to ensure this doesnt damage the certification in your case, in absense of anything on their website, is to ask J that question via a letter or email. You can then rely on the answer and have it to gointo the maintenance logbook where you document the action you took.

Andy

"In my opinion the only way to ensure this doesnt damage the certification in your case, in absense of anything on their website, is to ask J that question via a letter or email. You can then rely on the answer and have it to gointo the maintenance logbook where you document the action you took."

I agree. This is the start of a new dance..... from memory, the Senscich? prop was an option on the order form for 24-7595. At that stage I had just sold my company and the Dynon autopilot was the main aim ..... good for a man with a weakening bladder.. so the extra cost did not seem a good idea at the time. Wrong, Marcus. 24-7595 is very much better built than 24-5083, in all the many areas that it pissed me off in. Fit, finish, wiring crimping... particularly that crimping multi strand wires ffs , door pockets, glue everywhere, door locks, starting... lots of things.

Both aircraft fly well, but it would be nice to see " 120 knots at 20 litres per hour, rather than 115 knots a 24 litres, or 120 knots at 35 litres before I go off the boil...029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif ....

Marcus

"Yes, that's the best course of action. Go to the source."

I agree, but a starting point would be good. I'll do the leg work with Jabiru, but a reference point would be nice to start from. Yours is the first

comment about this "issue" that I have seen to date in years of looking. I wrote Jabiru a letter about the bad wiring methods they used in 2007,

for example. This is an area that I do know about.

Nothing seems to have changed. At least it seems that you might have a result here.

Marcus

motzartmerv, post: 230283, member: 836"]Sounds like you got a Friday arvo job aswel.

No, not so much Friday arvo, but a culture of ignorance and "cheap is best". My written advice at the time was to employ a quality manager who could stop an order

being shipped because it failed a written check list to internal standards.... At this stage, late 2007, Jabiru had an order board of A4 sheets that went for 25? meters floor to ceiling. This letter was never answered.

What did I know? This time there were 3 orders on the order board. 24-7595 is better finished than 24-5083 where you can see, although flying back through rain from Bundaberg caused a 30cm by 1 cm paint strip on the leading edge to de-laminate...... poor preparation on the gel coat according to the paint expert that fixed it. This repair was partly funded by Jabiru. Currently I am waiting to go up to Murray Bridge to find out why the autopilot is not talking to the EFIS. Probably a computer type connector adrift that needs a cable tie in an aircraft application. blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Marcus

We recently put a sysncanech...sinchnech...uumm...however you spell it, on our 230. I have to say, its now twice the aeroplane.Would that be a "Sensenich"?

Edit......just noticed Daz has got it.... I should read further.

Guest Maj Millard

It is always good to get a pilot report on the actual cause of the engine stoppage, for pilot educational purposes. I read the US reports posted daily on this forum, and they are always a good, and constaint reminder of how easy it is for any of us, to go off the rails if we get sloppy . (not that I'm saying it happened in this case).....Cheers .................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Aircraft was collected yesterday by the owner. I didn't go in the end 'cause they left Adelaide at 5am and there's no way I'm getting up that early!

The damage seems to be limited to a broken windshield, prop and badly bent nose gear. I'll know more once I get up there but that won't be 'til Saturday at this stage.

As soon as i get any more info I'll pass it on. I'll also post some pics over the weekend. If I can get the pilot to write a report I'll post that as well.

• Like 2

The Sensenich was introduced as option some time ago, it was much more expensive but now competitive. They have had some damage occuring to trailing edges and not proving very long lived but perform well. Jab still push their own version as the best.

I had 3 std props with fierce vibration and tracking problems every 50hrs. Jab did supply one of these free as warranty.

Went through 2x 3 blade adjustable composites, performance was not good except for climb, One didnt even fit correctly and had other problems too. It was Duc Helice, they now have my prop AND my money and wont refund. Second 3B was from Bolly. It was smooth and OK but after some complaining Bolly gave me a new 2 blade to try and performance is exceptional, J200, 2900rpm, 21" MAP, 27lph, 120kts indicated easily.

They did do some compliance/vibration work with Jabiru but Jab weren't very interested. Theres still a test prop in Bundy waiting to be fitted and hours flown so it can be approved. I doubt Jab will get around to it.

Other thing is I balanced prop using digital vibration gear. Results are remarkable, every Aircraft should have it done regularly.

I know some guys put a Lance down on a dry lake just near there, engine just stopped mid flight, 4 POB, all OK but a serious crash. What cant be!!!! an IO540 flame out, I thought only Jabirus failed :)

Wrong props aren't worth much, either

The sensenich composite is used on a few engines. On the 4 cyl Jab it apparently has had some degradation of the blades near the hubs in service. They are a good company with a good reputation. I believe this is to do with a torsional vibration issue which may be related to a particular engine rev setting. I can't understand why this hasn't been looked at. Many engines have this problem, in fact they all do to some extent. The safest prop on a Jab is a 2 blade wooden, one though the originals don't seem to be too accurate. Nev

Sorry been busy working on it! Damage is not quite as major as fi rst thought. Lh rear wing mounting point in wing was pulled out. Lh flap was damaged but repairable. Various stress marks on the lh wing and at various points on fuse, all repairable. Front windscreen and lh rear window gone, to be replaced. Nose gear is fine but due to the glass mount bolted to the firewall came away and was destroyed. Prop was destroyed.

That's about it. We'll be starting the glassing work tomorrow and should have it flying again in a few weeks.

The key information is what caused the engine to stop; doesn't matter if it was fuel exhaustion (and I'm not suggesting it was) because the lesson would be a good exercise for all of us.

Fuel exhaustion. There are extenuating circumstances but I'll check with the guy who was flying it before I blurt it all out on a public forum. I'll see him tomorrow.