Jab down at Wentworth

Have there been any studies using total hours in operation showing that Jab engines are any more or less prone to failure. The old argument is there are a lot more jab engines in service so therefore more failures. But what is the reality when lined up by hours flown across all other engines? I am new to flying and all i hear is how bad Jabiru engines are. If this is the case then I will stop flying as I really Dont want to end up dead from a hobby.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have there been any studies using total hours in operation showing that Jab engines are any more or less prone to failure. The old argument is there are a lot more jab engines in service so therefore more failures. But what is the reality when lined up by hours flown across all other engines? I am new to flying and all i hear is how bad Jabiru engines are. If this is the case then I will stop flying as I really Dont want to end up dead from a hobby.

There's a warning plaque inside all Recreational Aircraft, but there should be the list of statistics you refer to so you can make an informed decision, and that's where the governing bodies are exposing themselves to future litigation.

Guest Crezzi
If this is the case then I will stop flying as I really Dont want to end up dead from a hobby.

Flying will never be a zero risk activity but an engine failure should NOT result in fatalities if you were properly taught & are flying safely.

Have there been any studies using total hours in operation showing that Jab engines are any more or less prone to failure. The old argument is there are a lot more jab engines in service so therefore more failures. But what is the reality when lined up by hours flown across all other engines?

I'd suggest doing some research & reaching your own conclusion. I went through 3+ years of classified adverts looking at the airframe & engine hours of various 2nd hand types of aircraft for sale. This doesn't of course eliminate the possibility of the owners of some types being more mechanically inept or spending a lot of time with their engine switched off but it did provide statistically large enough samples for a comparison of the most numerous engine types.

The RAAus adverts can be found here http://old.raa.asn.au/market/index.html

Cheers

John

On the other hand the rigid shell of a Landcruiser tranfering more decelleration force on to the passengers is often attributed to the poorer outcome for passengers when they come to grief. No sustitute for arriving slower.

Thats quite true what you say rankamateur. Back in the early 60's, the 3 1/2litre Rover was built with a strong passenger compartment, and the front and rear sections were designed to crumple and minimise impact. All these features are fairly commonplace in todays designs, but do not work as a miracle cure for all situations.

There is a risk factor in most things undertaken in life, and all we can wish for, is to keep the risks involved to a minimum.

However, if we partake in some of these activities fully aware that there is some risk involved, surely the onus is in our camp also, but we are getting more like our American friends who want to blame and litigate, even though it might have been our own choice to partake in the activity.

When I was a kid and broke my leg when I fell out of a tree that I had been climbing, knowing that it could possibly be a bit dangerous, the modern way seems to be that I should sue the ass of the poor bugger that planted the tree.

• Like 1

... I am new to flying and all i hear is how bad Jabiru engines are. If this is the case then I will stop flying as I really Dont want to end up dead from a hobby.

The long term prognosis is that we're all gunna end up dead anyway. 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

• Like 2

Hi Thirsty, Please keep us up to date. I was the previous owner of 5678 ( originally with pink striping and known as "Priscilla" - queen of the air) and sold it to James. The original owner flew her around Australia, literally, and also won a section of the Brisbane air race in her I believe. I flew her Noosa - bundaberg - MBD, and all over south Australia, never missed a beat, she was fabulous.

Very sad to hear this, please let us know the eventual outcome,

cheers Peter

• Winner 1

you have more chance of getting killed driveing to the airport or crossing the road.

That's called whistling and jigging past the graveyard.

You have a lot of choices over the length of your life, whether crossing the road, driving to the airport, or flying from it.

I spent years racing Yachts including Melbourne to Hobart and Sydney to Hobart's. I figure I have survived through a lot of oceans in some horrendous weather so flying should be easy. Like has been said we all have to go one day and i would rather go out doing something I am passionate about than the big C.

We'll be collecting the plane on Wednesday so should know more then. The engine was running very, very nicely so yes, it's a pity. More questioning of the pilot leads me to think there isn't as much damage as first thought but time will tell.

The trouble with these lsa 55's is that we can only use the prop that jab supply and running any more than about 2700 rpm gives more an 90 knots so we really have to run them slow, no choice.

"The trouble with these lsa 55's is that we can only use the prop that jab supply and running any more than about 2700 rpm gives more an 90 knots so we really have to run them slow, no choice.

"

Pardon my ignorance; why is higher than 90Kt so........hmmm, ( long time ago flew several 55's and too lazy to look up a handbook) If I recall they were twitchey,bumpy :bounce:and slippery little buggers! Great fun 1 up!

It gives me the shits to hear bagging of Jabiru engines, especially from folks who are not qualified or do not have the data to support their claims. I OWN a Jabiru and it has never missed a beat. I used to fly Warriors and have had 'scary incidents' with their engines coughing up blood. Keep flying, it is still safer than driving to the airstrip, and remember, an engine failure in itself is not the problem, it is the landing that follows. Just get that right and everything will be peachy-keen.

• Like 5

Cherk, the yellow arc on these aircraft start at 90 knots and that speed is achieved at about 2600 to 2700 rpm. All good in smooth air to run higher than that but in bumpy air ( which is most of the time in my experience) you should stay below the yellow. That's the problem with the lsa.

It gives me the ***** to hear bagging of Jabiru engines, especially from folks who are not qualified or do not have the data to support their claims. I OWN a Jabiru and it has never missed a beat. I.

Good to hear that your Jab is going well . How many hours now and what fuel do you use .?

Bob

Cherk, the yellow arc on these aircraft start at 90 knots and that speed is achieved at about 2600 to 2700 rpm. All good in smooth air to run higher than that but in bumpy air ( which is most of the time in my experience) you should stay below the yellow. That's the problem with the lsa.

Thanks for the clarification Thirsty .Sounds like a case for ground adjustable props .................:whistling:and pigs will fly!

We recently put a sysncanech...sinchnech...uumm...however you spell it, on our 230. I have to say, its now twice the aeroplane.

All flight conditions are improved, take-off, climb and cruise all markedly improved. We are actually achieving Jabs quoted figures now of 120 kts IAS at 2900 rpm, at MTOW. And its quieter...:)..

Back to topic, glad to hear everyone's ok.

• Like 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer
We recently put a sysncanech...sinchnech...uumm...however you spell it, on our 230. I have to say, its now twice the aeroplane.All flight conditions are improved, take-off, climb and cruise all markedly improved. We are actually achieving Jabs quoted figures now of 120 kts IAS at 2900 rpm, at MTOW. And its quieter...:)..

Back to topic, glad to hear everyone's ok.

How did you manage that, I didnt know it was allowed?? Or is not 24 rego?? Or should I go back to my single malt and stop asking silly questions? 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif