WTF!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha...ok, just remove this thread if you like Ian..sorry

That's ok Motz...I know that what I put on the home page often gets circulated around the industry as I often get emails back to me on things I put there a few days later...not saying that's how you got it but it does happen

not really sure to be honest, at the very least it looks like a move that would take every other aircraft that may be in the circuit completely unawares. not to mention a gust or windshear away from setting that small foresty bit aflame... Legal? dunno... irresponsible? Most likely, but full context is needed - maybe it was part of a display.

Driving down the road and someone in front is going 5km/hr too slow they'll be called a moron, if someone overtakes they'll be called a maniac, if someone gets really practiced and familiar with his craft and flies it more impressively than others he's dangerous and if someone flies once a month and does really large and conservative circuits because he's way behind the aircraft then he'll be called sensible and safe...

I can't see what could be legally wrong with it provided his radio calls were correct, low and tight circuits are permitted, there are no speed requirements, he completed three legs and proximity isn't an issue during take-off and landing... nice bit of flying. If his name was Bob Hoover no-one would bat an eyelid.

Just my 2c

• Like 7

Driving down the road and someone in front is going 5km/hr too slow they'll be called a moron, if someone overtakes they'll be called a maniac, if someone gets really practiced and familiar with his craft and flies it more impressively than others he's dangerous and if someone flies once a month and does really large and conservative circuits because he's way behind the aircraft then he'll be called sensible and safe...I can't see what could be legally wrong with it provided his radio calls were correct, low and tight circuits are permitted, there are no speed requirements, he completed three legs and proximity isn't an issue during take-off and landing... nice bit of flying. If his name was Bob Hoover no-one would bat an eyelid.

Just my 2c

That sort of flying keeps you in shape. The pilot who can't handle more than 30 deg angle on bank will be a gonner doing a tight turn around after engine failure.

Gotta admit that was impressive. The gent obviously can fly. The accuracy of that final turn then wings level to flare was amazing. There is a fine line between being a cowboy and having a natural flair for aviating.

....There is a fine line between being a cowboy and having a natural flair for aviating.

It probably doesn't even need to be a natural flair, just lots of practice will do it, and flying jump planes means you get lots of practice. It's a bit like when you're instructing, you can let a student make a right mess of it (a landing for example) and leave it 'til observers would say the crash seems certain, then you can fix the situation with what appears to be little more than a nudge on the stick.

Leave off that kind of flying for a year or two and you're back to having to concentrate on the circuit and landing a lot more.

He's obviously a concientious pilot who wants to fly as economically as possible, no point wasting fuel eh ?

Seriously though, as it's a jump plane, he must have flown that same pattern hundreds of times.

• Like 1

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I thought CAR166 said to complete turn onto final by 500feet, not 50 and he let down on the downwind leg. Yes spectatcular control - this time...... Just one thread away has a cpl pilot dead from what some reports have as flying a low pass to wave at spectators. Wonder what might happen to this pilot if those unexpected threats come along, birds, gusts, windshear? By nature I am very conservative and I get that not everyone is like me and that jump pilots would do the same sortie many times a day, but I'm a bit surprised that people would think this exhibitioning is acceptable and praiseworthy.

Nev

• Like 4

With respect Neville, I don't think CAR166 applies in Germany which I understand is where that video was shot.

I'm also not sure that it's fair to draw parallels with the recent accident, as that appears to have happened away from an airfield.

Those videos were shot at an airfield where there are no power lines around the field.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I thought CAR166 said to complete turn onto final by 500feet, not 50 and he let down on the downwind leg. Yes spectatcular control - this time...... Just one thread away has a cpl pilot dead from what some reports have as flying a low pass to wave at spectators. Wonder what might happen to this pilot if those unexpected threats come along, birds, gusts, windshear? By nature I am very conservative and I get that not everyone is like me and that jump pilots would do the same sortie many times a day, but I'm a bit surprised that people would think this exhibitioning is acceptable and praiseworthy.Nev

Nev: To follow on from what you said: How many times have we heard the phrase "He was a very experienced pilot" of a recently deceased? It was the case with Des, it's now the case with the guy at Burrum, etc etc ad nauseum.

• Like 1

In this particular case, he doesn't appear to need his engines, they are idling.

Look at the speed he carries into the baseleg/final turn.

Bob Hoover did this sort of thing all the time and he's called a hero !

• Like 2