Listen to your body

Hi Nev

I would love to be able to tell you that 100% absolutely but like any drug addict you are never really cured. I can tell you that coming home now it would have been easy to forget about the smokes as it really has only been a week and a half since I stopped 2 days before the operation but its not!!!! I find my mind wandering wanting a smoke but am fighting it off by drinking water (which still tastes like crap) and any other distractive method I can. I am sure I can't use any of the helper aids while on this drug regime so I am afraid it is cold turkey and I am not having a fun time with it at all. I just hope after another week or so it will get a bit easier.

Mark

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the current scarey pic

The red chest zipper is interesting 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif. I thank the Lord that you survived this ordeal though, and that you had an adequate (non-EFATO) warning so that something could still be done about it in time.

I also notice that you're not smiling just now. I hope that will change before long!

I trust your recovery goes well. And, along with Nev, I wish you well in keeping away from the cancer sticks. The first few weeks/months will be the worst but eventually a smoke-free life becomes a way of life even though this is hard to see right now.

• Like 2

Good to see you back in the workshop Mark even IF your back is to the radios.

Won't be long and you will be donning the headset and heading for the sky.

Talk soon on the other mode.

Cheers

No and I can tell you Steve I am missing her already. Trouble is until I can get a car licence medical clearance I cant fly. Even me to go for a fly within the next 6 to 8 weeks is a issue due to the harness and my sternum also getting in and out of the aircraft would be difficult and I can not afford to risk cracking the wire up joints they do on the sternam it has to try to set correctly in 6 to 8 weeks even then I can not lift any more than around 2 to 5 kgs until then even after that time it is only about 10kg for 3 to 4 months. If you crack the joint as it is now it is a minim 6 weeks in hospital and if that fails then you are in a real lot of trouble with them trying to fix it.

I have a mate of mine who will love to take here for a few circuits and short trips to make sure everything keeps going ok this is give me a excuse to go to the hangar and at least pat her and watch her fly. I even have to get a lift to the hangar how bad is that..can not go when ever I want

All the best anyhow Mark. The aneasthetists don't like smokers. Some of them won't touch them. You are right about the strength of the addiction. Cold turkey is the way to go. The "moments" of urge get less frequent but you will probably always have them. They pass quickly and your taste improves. Nev

All the best anyhow Mark. The aneasthetists don't like smokers. Some of them won't touch them. You are right about the strength of the addiction. Cold turkey is the way to go. The "moments" of urge get less frequent but you will probably always have them. They pass quickly and your taste improves. Nev

I agree, I stopped smoking a year ago (15 Jan last year) . I went cold turkey. I enjoy being a non smoker again. (I had stopped for 8 years previously, also by cold turkey). This time I found it easier. I read that Stop smoking book written by Alan Carr. I started reading it a few weeks after I already quit the smokes. I found that it made alot of sense.

• Like 1

Alan Carr's book is certainly a good read... I didn't complete it ... yet... and haven't quit... yet.

Isn't one of the ideas that we think a smoke calms our nerves... when in fact being a drug addict makes you constantly nervous. Getting a "hit" makes you feel as if you are calmer. Makes perfect sense having seen this with Heroine addicts... no different to Tobacco addicts.

• Like 1

The tobacco manufacturers know they are onto a good thing. It's extremely addictive. they also know that 78% of smokers die from a disease related to smoking so give up just to get back at the bastards. Or any other reason you can think of. More flying, spend time teaching your grandkids to fly , not smelling like an ashtray, skin less wrinkly, food tastes better more self esteem, kids don't have to put up with the smoke in the car, saves money etc Nev

• Like 2

MATE!!!- I figured we hadn't seen you round because you were both up at the farm- Well, that wasn't the half of it. All I can say mate is you got the Savvy's Cof G right so this is the perfect chance to get yours:thumb up: right. So glad you got on top of it- push bike laps around the airfield for both of us!!!020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

No and I can tell you Steve I am missing her already. Trouble is until I can get a car licence medical clearance I cant fly. Even me to go for a fly within the next 6 to 8 weeks is a issue due to the harness and my sternum also getting in and out of the aircraft would be difficult and I can not afford to risk cracking the wire up joints they do on the sternam it has to try to set correctly in 6 to 8 weeks even then I can not lift any more than around 2 to 5 kgs until then even after that time it is only about 10kg for 3 to 4 months. If you crack the joint as it is now it is a minim 6 weeks in hospital and if that fails then you are in a real lot of trouble with them trying to fix it.I have a mate of mine who will love to take here for a few circuits and short trips to make sure everything keeps going ok this is give me a excuse to go to the hangar and at least pat her and watch her fly. I even have to get a lift to the hangar how bad is that..can not go when ever I want

Let me know if I can help mate in ANY way....

Neil

Alan Carr's book is certainly a good read... I didn't complete it ... yet... and haven't quit... yet.Isn't one of the ideas that we think a smoke calms our nerves... when in fact being a drug addict makes you constantly nervous. Getting a "hit" makes you feel as if you are calmer. Makes perfect sense having seen this with Heroine addicts... no different to Tobacco addicts.

Hi Don, Yep it is the nicotine withdrawal.On average, most smokers "need a smoke about every hour (when awake) . Of course some smokers smoke more than one per hour & some less. It is because the body craves for another nicotine hit .The person then perceives to feel "calmer" after having the ciggy.

Let me know if I can help mate in ANY way....Neil

You might have to take his girfriend for a few laps , just so she doesn't get to feel unloved, you know how girls get when they don't get the attention they have come to expect.

The urge is getting less But I need to be sucking on a lolly or something occasionally I find...The trouble is everything I put in my mouth since waking up from the operation tastes like crap or close enough to it. I am told that will slowly go as they have stopped that drug but some of the others I am on will modify my taste buds a bit. It does seem to be getting easier though..it has been 10 days since the operation and 13 since I have stopped smoking.

I am actually feeling really well my chest doesnt hurt hardly at all its my leg that is the painful part. It just aches and is stiff its really hard to walk, you would think that the 2 broken ribs and the sawn sternum would be the issue but it isnt

The urge is getting less But I need to be sucking on a lolly or something occasionally I find...The trouble is everything I put in my mouth since waking up from the operation tastes like crap or close enough to it. I am told that will slowly go as they have stopped that drug but some of the others I am on will modify my taste buds a bit. It does seem to be getting easier though..it has been 10 days since the operation and 13 since I have stopped smoking.I am actually feeling really well my chest doesnt hurt hardly at all its my leg that is the painful part. It just aches and is stiff its really hard to walk, you would think that the 2 broken ribs and the sawn sternum would be the issue but it isnt

Thats great news Mark

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cold turkey is the best. No doubt. I did that once and kicked the habit for 4 years.

Had a bit of trouble repeating the feat in 2011, so I bought an e-cigarette. It worked a treat. You can even get e-juice for them with nicotine in it (from overseas).

We bought one for my father-in-law in November, he was going thru a 50g bag of Drum every 4 days. Now he goes thru a 30ml bottle of e-juice every 20 days ($6.50). Says he prefers the taste of the e-cig and has only smoked a rollie when he's forgotten to charge the e-cig.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea whether these things have adverse health effects. The government refuses to do studies on them so nobody really knows. I do know that if I've puffed away all afternoon at the pub, my throat feels the same the next day as if I'd been smoking. However I also know it's got about 4,000 less dangerous ingredients than tailor-mades. Whether there's something nasty in them that becomes apparent in the next few years, I don't know. I am by no means recommending them, if you're interested then do the research and come to your own conclusion.

You need to replace it with " something". A sip on a glass of water with a bit of lemon in it is perfect. Don't start eating or you will get fatter and that's no good for any of the things you have wrong with you. Keep telling yourself, "I am NOT a smoker" ( anymore).. Nev

Quiting smoking isnt that hard. Just have to stop shoving them in ya mouth.I have mentioned this before & I will mention it again. It only takes approx 21 days for all the residual nicotine to leave the body. Over half the battle is won IMO from my own experience. Nicotine replacement with nicotine patches , gum etc defeats the purpose, all though long term smokers do have to go down this path.It is successful as long as the people gradually reduce their intake of gum or use weaker niccotine patches over . Alot of people quit smoking but are still hooked on nicotine for years as they still chew the nicotine gum or they used patches.