PA-28 loses wheel - successful forced landing

yeah i saw this on my gliding club page. for an experienced pilot, very well handled, for a student, incredibly well handled, for the students mum......good luck getting the stains out of those pants!

• Like 1

Very well done!I am honestly curious - although no evidence of fire etc, would one tend to kill those mags/fuel and get the hell out of there??

Yeah thought the same, in fact I'm surprised he didn't shutdown the engine and glide her in with everything switched off beforehand.

I'm around the same tt as the pilot and fly pa28's too, so this was a real case of "what would I do" and how would I approach the landing. Quite a valuable exercise.

He certainly would have had a good deal of time to think through - 4 hrs to use up fuel. Pilot did a great job. Very lucky he wasn't departing from an uncontrolled field and knew about his problem.

• Like 1

He was Chinese and a long way from his mum, His instructor was telling him what to do through an interpreter, so all the more credit to everyone, and they had about four hours to plan things like the approach, door opening, engine cut, and fire truck action, and it was still a great effort for all this to happen in a text book finish.

4 hours to stew about it and get all tense and exhausted. He didn't close the throttle fully and should have cut the mags. A few other things make me think he was stressed. I don't put this as a criticism in a harsh manner, just mentioning it if anyone else is ever involved in something like this. Nev

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this one re cutting mags, etc. To be honest if I was in the same situation I would land with the engine still running - gives you the extra options for keeping wheel off as long as possible. Once down then off and out !!

• Like 1

A selection of crosswind would help that. In rough landing areas I would keep the engine going and active to have more landing control options . On a sealed runway things are more predictable so you want to be fairly slow and able to keep it on the runway and pull it up . ( directional control and braking) I can't see why you would need power and the fire aspect of it is pretty paramount.Nev

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this one re cutting mags, etc. To be honest if I was in the same situation I would land with the engine still running - gives you the extra options for keeping wheel off as long as possible. Once down then off and out !!

I agree. No need to switch off a perfectly good engine until you're absolutely certain that you have no use for it anymore, unless it's burning. You could perhaps argue that he should've switched it off a little sooner than he did, but that's all well and good to say while you're fighting to keep the plane under control on the runway!

in this senaro glide aproach out of the question as your speed would be 10 to 15 knts faster no control

as i have been in this situation in my plane when i removed the nose wheel on power wires at berrigan and flew 5 miles from wire strike

i did shut the motor down but restarted it as soon as i reliezed that on glide aprouch i would be flying at 65 knts

when i know that i can land safely at 45 knts with motor against 65 knts on glide aprouch

with motor going you have more control for that what if a wind gust floats you ore wind shear just gets in the way

as for cutting motor on touch down you would have buckleys as the ride would be to ruff neil

I would like to say "I hope that the flying school gives him a discount for the 4 hours of flying around buning off fuel ". But in reality these things can be picked up in preflights.Its just not him, but probably the guys before him as well who flew this aircraft. Cracks grow over time, really hard to spot when under paint. It is all ways good idea to grab a good hold of u/c parts during a preflight and give them a really good pull.(Males have good practise of this) Eyes are great but a good tug can also show you if there is a under lying problem.

PS- Maybe not a good idea to mention the above, since I dont know the full story.But I hope the above will get peeps to look with just not their eyes. Dont be afraid to yank on bits of aircraft when doing a pre flight.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

• Like 2

Watched a Cessna 182 bounce 7 times on landing recently, each time, nose wheel first, followed by a tail strike and then back to earth nose wheel first. The question I was thinking, other than "how on earth did that nose wheel survive 7 hits without breaking?" Was, I wonder if that solo student will report what happened and get the aircraft inspected, or will it just be parked, and used by the next unwitting poor student? I am expecting to hear of a Cessna losing a nose wheel in the near future.

• Like 1

With 4 hours of fuel to burn up before the emergency landing. He could have used that time wisely & gone on a NAV & then came back for the landing.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

He coud have gone on a nav elsewhere and done some touch and go's-what a waste.

• Like 2

I would like to say "I hope that the flying school gives him a discount for the 4 hours of flying around buning off fuel ". But in reality these things can be picked up in preflights.Its just not him, but probably the guys before him as well who flew this aircraft. Cracks grow over time, really hard to spot when under paint. It is all ways good idea to grab a good hold of u/c parts during a preflight and give them a really good pull.(Males have good practise of this) Eyes are great but a good tug can also show you if there is a under lying problem..025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

'Ang on Daz. . . . . . . if the poor guy had "Pulled" too hard on that U/C leg during the preflight. . . , he may well have ended up with a wing on the back of his neck ???????

• Like 1

"Scrape 'n Stay"

I dunno mate. . . . I once "Scraped" A Buccaneer ( Lake, not bloody great jet bomber ) after forgetting to do my usual " This is a hard landing, so my wheels are down and my floats are up. . . " check on downwind, after allowing myself to be distracted by my passenger throwing up her breakfast all over me new trousers and shirt. . . - I'm not offering this as an excuse, as there really ISN'T one for doing that, BUT, (of course) the touch down was an absolute Grease-SCRAPER, and realising what I'd committed, I changed me mind and went around again. ( ! ) They only charged me a small amount of my personal fortune to fix the floats and the scrape on the hull. . . . . . . . A Scrape 'N' STAY. . . . . might've been a lot more expensive ! ! ! ! ! !!

( Utterly and completely OFF TOPIC. . . . why oh why when someone has had only a boiled egg for breakfast, and they throw up all over you and your pristine instrument panel. . . . . . does it always look like diced carrots ? ? ? ? ? ? ? )