9th Feb Meeting feedback

cooperplace

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for photos of markings etc, is just to show compliance with regs. When we build there is a final inspection witnessed by someone who RAAus considers trustworthy. Obviously not trustworthy enough.

SAAA does not do inspections before a build starts, that all went years ago.

The requirement for a max weight placard is meaningless when ou think about it. To work out the weight you need the pilots handbook to know the empty eight, then add fuel, luggage, passenger, pilot weight and see what you get. You havn't got this ability without the pilots handbook an if you have the handbooh, the max weight is there in it.

The most stupid rule I can think of is the need for older pilots to have a medical before they can carry a passenger. Older pilots seem to be safer than young hoons but I don't have any figures to back that up.

Could be that we are now out of the frying pan. Does anyone know the new treasurer's prior experience with other peoples' money??

From hearing him talk at the meeting and reading his intro when he became a board nominee, I am more than happy with him taking over as Acting Treasurer.

Well, I've been out of touch for a few day & have just waded through the 132 posts. Comments about the meeting confirm a few things for me.

1. The current board is 100% dysfunctional (as stated by many in various pre 9/2 meeting posts).

2. A number of board members and all of the executive do not have the required skills to manage our (or probably any) organisation.

3. Those mentioned in 2 above are so seriously trying to protect their collective derrieres the wood and the trees are totally merged.

4. Again those mentioned in 2 above were taken completely by surprise that the movers for positive change were not after blood but a way forward.

Roll on Temora and the AGM. Lets hope that the item 2 mob can get their collective heads out of the sand, realise that they are human after all with all it's failings and clear the way for those who have a professional as well as practical approach to managing an organisation that has completely outgrown the capabilities of the existing board.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

A treasurer who on what he said at the meeting does not read the legal advice but takes what others say on trust (ie doesnt diligently perform their responsibilities) does not bode well. Happy to be proved wrong. Also happy to hear views of clubs he has been involved in the past, say Temora??

My point is that you should not have to prove compliance, you should just comply or risk being fined. Proving at one point of time is pretty meaningless, as planes are changed & modified from year to year. I agree about older pilots. How about this for another absolutely STUPID rule. If you are over 75yo you need to have a medical....perhaps ok, but guess what, evidently over 75yo are more likely to lie than younger people according to RAA OPS MANUAL. Instead of simply stating they have had the medical, like the under 75s do to say they are fit to drive, the over 75s have to PROVE they have had the medical by supplying a copy. Those untrustworthy older people, you really need to keep a closer eye on them. A 17 yo would never lie about being fit to drive.

• Like 1

Well, I've been out of touch for a few day & have just waded through the 132 posts. Lets hope that the item 2 mob can get their collective heads out of the sand, realise that they are human after all with all it's failings and clear the way for those who have a professional as well as practical approach to managing an organisation that has completely outgrown the capabilities of the existing board.

The only way that would get fixed is if people with those skills nominate themselves for the board. That isn't happening. Or we can change the constitution to allow non-members as board members. Should we have a CASA representative on the board? I would say not, but it is food for thought.

Cheers.

I definately think that if the membership can not supply suitably qualified personal to run our business effectively then YES lets change the constitution to allow non members be employed, why can't we give them membership automaticly if they are the successful applicant?

David

• Agree 1

You have to have member representation at some point to have the direction and purpose of the organisation where you collectively want it. The board of BSA had no motorcycle riders on it and see where it went.

Skilled permanent staff should do the detail work. Eugene is out of his depth rather than a bad guy. You should maybe have an economics/accountant person on the staff. The finances are one of the simple fixes. It's not rocket science . .

The technical/ admin side will be harder to fill..

Proxies weren't wasted. They indicated enough of us were fair dinkum, but if it came down to it Middo trumped us, but the move he made is contentious, and an improper use of member's funds. That may bite him in the bum in the future.

Your reps made the right move. A contestable outcome is close to no outcome. Many people who made the trip to Canberra, ( and I think them here and now) spent money and time but they have a first hand knowledge of the way things are done. We have to support the "good" reps who may feel like tossing it in. It's not a fight against the RAAus. It's a fight to make the RAAus right. Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

The problem for the board is that the members turn up to the AGM with their proxy votes, maybe with a few more in hand, where as if middo pulls the same stunt again he won't get the same result.

Runciman, Reid and Middleton will be names always associated with the CASA audit and the RAA cover up that ensued.

• Agree 2

There is a wealth of skill, experience and expertise within the RA Aus member ranks.

We need to inspire some of them to come out of the woodwork, out of retirement and help us get this great organisation back on its feet and to be the bench mark of sport aviation operations it should be.

We need to inspire them to do so and prove to them that we are not the apathetic followers we have previously demonstrated to be.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

As a general rule, the way to get members involved is through social events. The problem for the RAA is that the exec has squashed development of any social events due to the fear the events would be an avenue for the word of their misadventures getting around.

The problem for the RAA is that the exec has squashed development of any social events due to the fear the events would be an avenue for the word of their misadventures getting around.

Now that's being a bit harsh towards them FT, you don't think they would of actually thought of that tactic..do you? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

David

Well Markdun, you sure spoke for me. If nobody can point to fatalities, then the rules are not necessary and they just amount to bullying.

This country has far more pressing needs for public money than having nitpicking fools examine files in some Canberra office. For example, there are many thousands of homeless mentally ill people, some potentially dangerous, and not enough money to look after them.

So we should at least try to minimise the red-tape and try to avoid making RAAus a policing authority.

... Bruce

• Agree 2

That is not the only alternative FT. I have been talking of the difficulty of representing the members and being the "authority" for yonks.

Our type of flying should be kept simple and cheap. McCormick doesn't like the idea of "cheap" flying, unless he's changed his view somewhat.

By any measure the RAAus has done a poor job of management in the last few years. If it is able to find it's SOUL and be allowed to operate with minimum red tape, then all will be fine. Our relationship with CASA has to be worked out and accepted and understood by all parties so there is no confusion by anybody as to what our aims are. We are NOT an airline, We are a sport/pastime/education tool/ aviation community/enthusiasts etc etc. Nev

• Agree 9

Well we attended the meeting (20 hours driving all up) and watched with interest the meeting as it unfolded. Had to feel sorry for a couple of long standing executive members who were clearly out of their depth with regard to finance and administration. The President presented more like a Managing Director complete with legal council and it was evident from the start who was in control.....even though this was challenged.

The responsible responses from members ( on a range of topics) put beyond doubt the concern by members for the future of RAAus. The motion by Geoff Kidd just prior to lunch set the tone of the meeting from that point on.

I guess some members of this forum might say that the interrogation did not go far enough however I feel that of the members present most were satisfied with the outcomes..

Where to from here?

The last motion of the day gave instructions to the Board to report back to the next general meeting.....essentially a score card on what is being achieved with the reform agenda. This will be the litmus test of what this meeting was all about. In reality the real work has just started and it will be up to the membership to drive the process.

The proposed sub-committee structure will have an important role to play in consolidating a proper strategic plan....not an operational plan but one that gathers in the strategic thoughts of the membership. A good CEO will then convert those to the various actions required.

What are the wishes of the membership, where is the innovation and bugger me why are we in Canberra?

We are in Canberra because (supposedly) that place gives us access to CASA. Capital cities might give us cheaper airfares. Well actually, Sydney or Melbourne, but costs might be higher when you get there .Sydney especially. Nev