9th Feb Meeting feedback

cooperplace

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If cheap airfares come to play then a non hub but centrally serviced location would be required. Holiday destination would be an advantage as well due to low season fares.

Canberra is one of the most expensive places in the world to do business. Hell, you cant get a direct International flight from our capital city unless your a Minister or above.

How about the Gold Coast with the office located in Tweed heads?? Most Capital cities have direct flights and even international if needed. Plenty of cheap rooms unlike Canberra although the Gold Coast doesn't have the overnight atractions that Fyshwick has, We are pilots afterall. Weather is a heap better except for a little rain around Christmas every year.

Why must RaAus have a commerical building.. Converted Hanger (This gets my juices going!) / Small Warehouse or Factory (views aren't that great!) or Residental block. There's Plenty of old schools up for Sale.

What would be the nearest RaAus field to the Gold Coast? (Evans Head by any chance).

There are a myriad of regional fields, Warnervale, Mainland, Cessnock and all the others, the trick is to select a place with easy public transport access. Temora is too isolated ... no RPT and you would need to fly to Canberra or Wagga and then drive anyway. We need an airfield that has RA Aus access and reasonable cost RPT or bus access otherwise we end up with the same problem. Maitland is close to Williamtown, so is Warnervale, but you still need transport from the Primary to the regional location. There are no simple answers. We don't need to own an airfield either, just make use of a good airfield facility and bring business to it.

• Like 2

Any RA Aus field close to a major airfield with low cost RPT and with good transport to the RA Aus field. ... that us the key.

Heck Field is close to Brisbane right? If so it would work, Brisbane has the cheapest airfares in Australia with one of the the biggest flight numbers and airlines to choose from.

• Agree 1

An ultralight is not for predictable transportation. It's for fun and fair weather. If you want to get there drive or fly airlines. RAAus get cheap bulk accomodation in Canberra, but I support going somewhere else. No rush just a longer term aim. nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

The only way that would get fixed is if people with those skills nominate themselves for the board. That isn't happening. Or we can change the constitution to allow non-members as board members. Should we have a CASA representative on the board? I would say not, but it is food for thought.Cheers.

as a former, and prospective, candidate we need to be elected, although running against Paul Middleton, Michael Apps and Don Ramsay seems to be a hard ask. I don't believe we need to go beyond the membership although we need to balance off sentiment with capability and get the non NSW/ACT and Vic regions to step up to the plate a bit more with quality candidates more often and a need to convince electors to get beyond the attitude "I don't know these people therefore I can't vote" or "he is my CFI - I will therefore trust him" (sorry Michael, that was a total crock)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I'd really like to be able to fly my Jab into where the RAAus headquarters are. Bugger the pollies and the officials.

Yes, I almost agree but RAA has to be at Bond Springs so I can have a side trip to Alice Springs and Uluru

as a former, and prospective, candidate we need to be elected, although running against Paul Middleton, Michael Apps and Don Ramsay seems to be a hard ask. I don't believe we need to go beyond the membership although we need to balance off sentiment with capability and get the non NSW/ACT and Vic regions to step up to the plate a bit more with quality candidates more often and a need to convince electors to get beyond the attitude "I don't know these people therefore I can't vote" or "he is my CFI - I will therefore trust him" (sorry Michael, that was a total crock)

........"as a former, and prospective candidate"........ I like that statement Col. Very pleased to hear that you plan to continue to work towards getting things turned around at Board level. Sincere regards and best wishes from the West. Riley

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

How about Esperance.

No CTA, no big hills, very few pollies (and some are pilots), good weather, quite a long way from most places but a lot closer to REALITY than Canberra. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 3

The reality is things are very bad for RAAus members, not sure about the hope. To me it looks like things are going to have to get worse to the point when the penny will drop and people will stop giving their proxies to PM.

• Agree 4

Regarding the prez's status, has anyone thought about seeking a legal "discovery" of said documents?HI Damkia

There has to be an action on foot in order to subpoena documents or obtain an order for discovery. And that was the problem with Mr Runciman's obstinate reiteration that he remains President.

He remains because someone would have to mount a challenge in Court to have him turfed out. His legal adviser spoke of us taking it to the Supreme Court (great tactic to scare thew plebs into submission but the matter can be heard in the Magistrates' Court as well). And that's what it amounts to... the President is using our funds (2 legal advisers at the meeting) to keep himself there and thinks himself secure in the knowledge that his court costs would probably also be covered in the event a challenge did occur.

Of course, a court might also find such use of the Associations funds for personal gain quite unreasonable and disallow it.

kaz

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

What was really achieved by the GM/EGM?

My intention was to attend the GM/EGM with some very fixed views seeking some answers.

I must say I was very impressed with the quality and civility of members at the meeting that were seeking answers to the most pressing issues affecting all members.

I had signalled my intention to attend the GM/EGM and requested proxies from those that had not made up their mind at the ninth hour in how they were going to award their proxies. The end result was that proxies were never called for, but nevertheless important to have and be aware oftheir importance.

Virtually at the last minute, Dave Caban, one of the members for NSW contacted me saying that he was unable to attend the meeting due to work commitments in Darwin and asked me if I was intersted in attending the GM/AGM and the subsequent Board meeting as his proxy. Mmm, given my previous history with many of the encumbents on the board it was going to be an interesting situation and a bit of a dilemma for some; not to mention myself included.

Having previously chaired a number of AGMs with 10-20 members maximum in attendance it was a revealing transformation. Personally I'd like to see several thousand turn up as an indication of their interest in the organisation. That is not going to happen; but to see some 160-180 folks participating was heartening to some extent ( even though it was in negative circumstances). NSW traditionally has some 2300 members; and yet, the maximum vote for Board member positions, given that voting forms and pre-paid envelopes are supplied: we are lucky to get 200 members exercising their vote. That abysmal voting trend is replicated throughout the rest of the states in Australia. In other words, we are an apethetic mob not intersted in getting of our arse unless it really affects us personally. Hard to expect Board members to get motivated or responsive to ocassional bitches with stats like those.

At the Board meeting afterwards I was under the firm impression that the Board had heard the call from members and that they would be more responsive and address the issues raised. The Treasurer resigned, allowing many of the issues complained about to be tested and rectified. All of the resolutions raised at the GM/AGM were discussed at the Board meeting and a resolution taken to address the issues raised. I believe the President will report seperately on the out come of the Board meeting.

Having been an interloper with some history, and expecting to be given short shrift at the Board meeting; I came away with the distinct impression that the Board has heeded the Members' concern and have resolved to do better into the future.

JG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I agree, but if you are bringing in small stuff you might be caught by weather. Canberra gets some interesting weather. Good storms over the Cullerin ranges. Nev

That's why I came by car in the end, Nev. I was kicking myself on Friday and Saturday morning but those TS Saturday afternoon changed my mind.

kaz

• Caution 1

What was really achieved by the GM/EGM?The Treasurer resigned, allowing many of the issues complained about to be tested and rectified.

I came away with the distinct impression that the Board has heeded the Members' concern and have resolved to do better into the future.

JG

The first comment sounds like there was a positive process occurring on the board for the first time in many years.

I will give them some time to get their house in order but I expect a frank and truthful conversation to start occurring between the membership (owners) and the board of representitve's. We are meant to be SELF regulating and Self meaning the whole group not just a small group controlling the rest.

• Agree 4

What was really achieved by the GM/EGM?All of the resolutions raised at the GM/AGM were discussed at the Board meeting and a resolution taken to address the issues raised.

JG

John,

what was the bit about "and a resolution taken to address the issues raised."? Does that mean that the board could have voted to ignore the meeting? I thought the vote on a motion at a GM was binding on the association, regardless of the various opinions of the board members.

I appreciate your recollections of the meeting, and that you agreed to join Daniel in the lions den. It must have been interesting (or daunting) to be representing another board member at a meeting that was full of passionate opinions, without knowing what you might be asked.

I very much respected a number of people at that meeting for representing opinions I disagreed with, or for standing up for what they thought, or simply being accountable for their actions. Eugene Reid, for one...also, the gentleman who called "Enough, Mr Chairman" and told the the chair he should have stopped himself from speaking 20 minutes before... Geoff (Captain/ the Rat) for consistency and constancy in his approach and actions... Howie Hughes for his defense of the board.

best wishes,

dodo

• Like 1

Why must RaAus have a commerical building.. Converted Hanger (This gets my juices going!) / Small Warehouse or Factory (views aren't that great!) or Residental block. There's Plenty of old schools up for Sale.

Ra-Aus needs to have its HQ somewhere where they can attract good quality staff to manage the business. It needs to have quality facilities, fittings and business equipment. Not many people would be impressed if they had to work in an old converted hangar that took them an hour to get to from home given the locations of many airfields. Modern business and communications systems have overcome the tyranny of time and distance so people are the major consideration. I imagine most of the communication with CASA officials is via Email & phone & if you need to see one another's faces use a video link. The only thing missing is the corporate lunch.

GMs & AGMs do not have to be where the HQ is. That was just traditional and hardly anyone came. Heck Field was a milestone. Major meetings could be held even in 2 or 3 locations with a quality video conference link. I was using this technology in a company with revenues exceeding 1/2 a billion more than 8 years ago and it worked well. It requires strict rules and good management though something we seem to lack at present.

• Agree 1

I agree there is no need for the RAA to have offices in Canberra and it may be more cost effective if the office was at a regional aerodrome with local govt support/subsidy. It might of made sense in the past when the AUF was actively lobbying the fed govt to get flying benefits for members, but it is different now that the RAA has become captured by CASA & is now CASA's toady. Having the office away from CASA may encourage the RAA to be more responsive & transparent to members, and less like an unresponsive & protect itself bureaucracy which are not rare entities here in Canberra.

My wife (an economist) has also suggested that we should look very carefully at the funding deed of agreement with CASA. While the RAA may get a $100k, it may well be more costly to members....she calculated the cost to members of taking useless rego number photos and sending them in would easily exceed that amount.. And she was also a board member of a large Australian nfp association (much larger membership, similiar revenues & staff numbers). They also had some 'president' issues, with their president thinking she had the power to make decisions for the org, rather than just a casting vote at board meetings. My wife is gobsmacked at what we pay for staff. They have an 'executive officer' who runs their head office and manages around 15 staff at salary of around $80k. The eo reports to the board. When recruiting, they were told by hr consultants that referring to the eo as the 'chief exec officer' would add more than $50k pa to the salary cost with no change in responsibilities. Their head office is not in canberra.

• Agree 4
  • Haha 1

Hello to all the forumites.

Sorry for the delay getting a response up but I have been extremely busy with work and family.

I would like to share my opinion of the Feb 9th meeting and subsequent board meeting. Firstly I would like to correct a slight mis-representation. It has been stated on this thread that three board members were not invited to a meeting on Friday the 8th (board get together). This is not an accurate comment. I was not excluded from that meeting but more so chose not to attend. I had clarified that the meeting was not formal and would not be minuted. With that in mind I decided I did not want make that my first interaction with other board members.

As to the Saturday meeting I can say I was impressed with the membership and the concerns/comments made from the floor. It was clear to see that RAA members care about the organization and want it to succeed. The motions from the floor are exactly what is needed to begin to get everything back on track.

As to the board meeting I attended the next few days there was good and bad. As expected. I do not want to get bogged down on the bad and have chosen to talk about the good. What was apparent is all the board members share the same vision. To make and create a great RAA. The lack of sharing information was discussed and agreement by all to endeavor to open up lines of communications between the board and the board to members. This is clearly a step in the right direction. Further discussion was had around the future and many times the term ‘what the membership wants or expects’ was implemented into conversations. This I found to be very positive.

One thing that was lacking at this particular meeting was governance for the future. But again with all that is currently occurring that was not surprising. My honest opinion is we have a long way to go. We need to get a competent General Manager to get the office functioning as an office should. If we get that right then we can begin to work on the future of the RAA and not just looking at the day to day and being responsive.

What I would urge all members to do is talk. Talk to your elected reps, other club members and instructors. Get your opinion out there. If you can identify members that can assist (which the current board has begun to do) get them involved. The board needs certain skill sets to grow and grow the organization. I hope after all the negativity this Feb 9 meeting created that at the next elections we have several great candidates running for every state. That to me would be a sign of an organization going somewhere great.

Best wishes and please please please fly safe. We have already had too many incidents this year!

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

Victorian Board Member.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 4
  • Caution 2