NATFLY 2013 - REPORTS AND COMMENTS

Captain

They are factory built. It is because the prop is a CSU and not certified that it has to be ELSA rego. same thing happened to my Roko Aero Ng4.

There are a number of 24 registered aircraft around fitted with a CSU prop. They dont have an "E" in front of the registration.

I have seen nothing from RAAus re this....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of 24 registered aircraft around fitted with a CSU prop. They dont have an "E" in front of the registration.I have seen nothing from RAAus re this....

Check their website. Mine was 24 rego until recently also. The prop has to be certified or ground adjustable to comply with 24 rego.

http://www.raa.asn.au/2013/02/lsas-with-in-fligh-adjustable-prop/ this is from their website, far from saying factory built 24 rego planes can't have constant speed props, it says there is an acceptable pathway but no manufacturers have walked down the path yet. More paperwork($$$$) and everybody will be happy.

Notice for LSAs With in-flight Adjustable Prop

February 22, 2013 | RA-Aus Administrator

NOTICE TO ALL OWNERS AND OPERATORS OF LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT FITTED WITH IN-FLIGHT ADJUSTABLE PROPELLERS

During a recent CASA audit of RAAus aircraft files it was discovered that many Light Sport aircraft (LSA) are fitted with in-flight adjustable propellers that do not comply with elements of the certificate of compliance. At present there are standards acceptable to CASA for these propellers which allow them to be fitted to Light Sport aircraft but so far no manufacturer has listed an approved standard in the appropriate section of the signed statement of compliance required for LSA.

If you own or operate a Light Sport aircraft fitted with an in-flight adjustable propeller please contact the RAAus Technical Consultant on 0408 351 309 for further advice.

Dean Tompkins

Technical Manager

Check their website. Mine was 24 rego until recently also. The prop has to be certified or ground adjustable to comply with 24 rego.

This is something that should be challenged. If they want to apply the ASTMs to the letter they will have to ground alot of planes. The ASTMs say an LSA aircraft must have a stall speed below 45kts clean. Aussie LSA rules said 45kts in landing configuration. Aussie regs also said in-flight adjustable props are ok. They can't say we have to follow ASTMs in one area but we can make up our own rules in other areas.

• Agree 1

Stearman, where are you getting your 'Aussie' LSA rules from? Not to be confused with our normal 24 reg or 19 reg planes (Non-LSA).

Jim

And thanks Captain for the pics. Very disappointed Im not up there!

Stearman, After reading some I see what you are saying. Casa allowed some minor exceptions to stay aligned with our current rules prior to the introduction of the LSA. What they haven't allowed is changes to a plane that the manufacturer does not agree too. Yes you can order an LSA with a constant speed prop but my understanding is that it will not be listed on the Special Certificate of Airworthiness and at this time there are NO ASTM approved inflight or constant speed props available.

Jim.

Guest Maj Millard

Slarti, I see you more as the Paul Newman or Steve McQueen type, however neither rode small postal bikes as I recall. The thought of seeing you naked is repulsive in the extreme !.........................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

The CSU should not be a problem if the factory approve and support the installed unit on the type.

Oh Rank, I could fill a forum and then some if I was to go through all the issues with running variable pitch props on LSA RA aircraft at the moment.

Hopefully it will be resolved with an ICAO ASTM standard change soon....

Right now if you've got one, just hope that it's a while till your rego is due.

Oh Rank, I could fill a forum and then some if I was to go through all the issues with running variable pitch props on LSA RA aircraft at the moment.Hopefully it will be resolved with an ICAO ASTM standard change soon....

Right now if you've got one, just hope that it's a while till your rego is due.

19 rego is looking really good right now, then I can still have all the goodies, might be glad I missed out on the S-LSA one yet.

Guest Maj Millard

Don, you can go to the Lightwing website and read about that electric car......................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Is no one prepared to say what happened at the NATFLY meeting?Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Perhaps you need to allow those RAA Members that did make the effort to attend, time to travel home and onto a computer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Hey there guys, I was there Friday and departed Saturday morning... met a load of great people and saw some fantastic aircraft. I even had the "honour" of botching Matt Hall's landing; I couldn't get onto the taxiway quick enough without risking a nose-over on the wet ground and forced him into a go-around. The Spitty was fantastic and I really enjoyed seeing the Pitts Specials fly in and land - what I'd give to be able to fly one of those! There were some top aircraft all over the place and plenty flying around on short hops or wide circuits taking in the views.

I did get ramp checked by CASA but it wasn't a daunting experience at all. There were a few items on the list but main were not having a maintenance sign-out onboard (although I did have my maintenance and engine/airframe log book) and not having a demarcated flightplan (although I did have written magnetic heading and distance waypoints for my route). Overall it was a positive experience and gave me good feedback on procedures I could improve on.

I didn't attend the GM and haven't heard much about it either. I was also deeply unsatisfied with the way the CASA audits were handled and would very much like to hear from anyone at the GM if the situation has improved.

My departure was a tad embarrassing as the good old Minicab didn't appreciate being left out in the cold and subsequently did not want to start! I eventually got her going without incident (thanks to all who lent or offered a hand!) and left on my merry way. I had a short stop-over at Cootamundra to refuel and experience a new airstrip and then continued back to Goulburn via Yass and Gunning on Visual Freeway Reference.

Cheers again! - boingk

• Like 1

Perhaps you need to allow those RAA Members that did make the effort to attend, time to travel home and onto a computer.

I thought they would all be hankering at their iGadgets to share their impressions already. This meeting was going to offer so much after being so patient in February, I thought we as a whole had high expectations that this meeting would reveal that we had charted a new course and as an organisation we are on our way to healing and recovery. For those of us who couldn't get to Temora the total silence from all who attended leaves us feeling like the organisation has flown VMC into cloud and everone who attended the meeting is just holding their collective breath and mentally counting off 167 and 168 and 169 and 170 and 171 .........

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Boingk. You have me worried now. What maintenance sign out would we need as RAAus pilots / planes.

I know you can't fly GA without a current maintenance release, properly filled in, but I was not aware of similar for RAAus. I thought it was considered bad practice to carry the maintenance book in RAAus planes, because that is the only record of maintenance and could be lost in a crash.

The CASA rep detailed it for me, and actually said that yes, it was not necessary to take the maint log in the aircraft. He said that for his Jab 170 he does the following:

• Buy a small book

• Rule up a few columns

• Write headings: Date, Hours Logged, Oil Added, Fuel Added, Operator

• Fill in before all flights

• Keep in aircraft

Sounded pretty simple to me and was what I did in GA. I did not know it was a requirement but have now bought and ruled up a book as per his advice.

Cheers - boingk

For those of us who couldn't get to Temora the total silence from all who attended leaves us feeling like the organisation has flown VMC into cloud and everone who attended the meeting is just holding their collective breath and mentally counting off 167 and 168 and 169 and 170 and 171 .........

Total silence? Did you read the posts around #37?

Colourful language you use there about VMC, but there were 120 - 150 members who did attend, and you not being there doesn't mean that the organisation isn't on the way back to straight and level, but perhaps with a whisker'd plug and some crook fuel.

I attended the Board Meeting on the Thursday as an Alternate for Jim Tatlock. Only 1 or 2 members attended that meeting as observers.

I also spoke for 5 - 10 minutes at the GM on the "Restructuring" and a motion of thanks on that issue was kindly moved and approved by the meeting.

Having spoken for that long at the meeting, I want to allow others to comment here, if they wish, before I go through it again.

The GM went for almost 2 hours and many issues were discussed.

• Agree 1

Total silence? Did you read the posts around #37?

Post #37

G'day Ranky,I spoke from the front table at the GM so will allow others to state what they thought before I say it again here.

Regards Ratty

Kind of looks like "total silence" to me as well.

• Agree 3