Petition to do away with ASIC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent the link to all my flying friends plus a few others, if we all did the same it would no doubt increase the numbers, but we need thousands, not hundreds.

With an election coming up I have a list of questions for my local MP and this will be added to that list.

At the risk of putting a damper on an otherwise good idea...shouldn't the actual petition say something better than "Remove ASIC cards entirely." I know if I was a politician I wouldn't place much importance on a statement like that. A bit like saying "Remove speed limits entirely". Surely you need to make a case on the grounds of saving taxpayers money, public perceptions of safety, restrictions on rights etc etc.

It would be better to do a bit of research and to speak politicians language in terms of money, risk and public (or media) perceptions...such as:

• Country X has a lot higher risk of terrorism but they don't have an ID card

• 60 tonne B-Double semis pose a far greater threat to airport safety in terms of what a terrorist could do than a 600kg aircraft. Truck drivers don't need ASICS.

• The costs outweigh the benefits

• Studies show that......

• It's unconstitutional because it restrict trade between the states ( 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif )

• etc etc

In any case, in this day and age of interconnected information, I can't work out why a "background check" is needed any more. Surely if Joe Bloggs commits a suspicious act any law enforcement agency could look up a file and see that "Ah ha, Joe Bloggs has a heavy vehicle drivers license, he has a permit to use certain fertilizers, he has a firearms license, and horror of horrors, he has an RAAus CERTIFICATE!!....bring him in for questioning!!"

• Agree 2

Just got my ninth spam. This one called "Sexual Abuse in the Church" They are originating from change.org which is the mob that has the petition against ASIC. So, dunno why I am being bombarded and you're not! Cleared all my cookies, history, ran my virus scanner and even cleaned the toilet. Let's see what happens now, in the meantime, I'm off to do some flying....

Just got my ninth spam. This one called "Sexual Abuse in the Church" They are originating from change.org which is the mob that has the petition against ASIC. So, dunno why I am being bombarded and you're not! Cleared all my cookies, history, ran my virus scanner and even cleaned the toilet. Let's see what happens now, in the meantime, I'm off to do some flying....

I haven't, but I am pretty anal. I used CC cleaner and clear my cookies and everything else on a daily basis. As you do. I'm not sure why you are getting spam. I also run Norton 360.

just unsubscribe as Hongie said. I think its not so much spam as the attempt to harness the power of social media to advance these causes... remember, the Bishop probably got an email asking to support removal of ASIC cards... if a million people get that and only 1% think its worth a look, that's still 10,000 without even trying...

Like lightning, signed.Its ridiculous that at many airports now you can't even get back airside without a person being called, then giving you the gate pin while he checks your ASIC, if I was a serious national thread it would be so easy to arrive airside then hijack from there. The whole system is a result of knee jerk incompetence. Proven by the fact that now marathons are are an open target. If we follow the security logic, you'll need an ASIC to go to the toilet soon!

...." If we follow the security logic, you'll need an ASIC to go to the toilet soon!"

I flew into Moruya, wrote the code on my hand, went to the loo, washed my hands...bugger!!! A CPL helped out and i made it back to YOAS 20 mins before last light. a great flight on a great day but I will take an indelible marker with me next XC because sometimes you relly have to go to the loo.

• Haha 1
  • Caution 1

I flew into Moruya, wrote the code on my hand, went to the loo, washed my hands...bugger!!! A CPL helped out and i made it back to YOAS 20 mins before last light. a great flight on a great day but I will take an indelible marker with me next XC because sometimes you relly have to go to the loo.

camera phone mate :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

actually probably not. some low level staffer will be assigned to check if you can submit under a fake name, and once they discover you can it'll get ignored.

call me cynical. Mind you, it'll at least get them to think about it for a second or two.

• Caution 1