RAAus W.A. representative resigns

Admin

On Monday June 17th Gavin Thobaven tendered his resignation as Board representative for the West Australia region, requesting that this take immediate effect. This was reluctantly accepted by the President, who acknowledged and thanked Mr Thobaven for his significant contribution since first joining the Board in 2011.

In accord with Section 16 of the Association’s Constitution, nominations (closing 4.00 p.m. EST Friday, 30th August 2013) are now being called for to fill the Board’s West Australian vacancy. Nomination forms can be obtained by contacting the RAAus office

Mark Clayton

General Manager

I would be and am very confused about this election announcement also. Under our constitution I believe if a vacancy occurs within 6 months of a due election, then there is no need to call an election. No by election has been called for the Qld position, declared vacant about 10 days ago, but now we have one called for WA.

In this case we now have two board members who have stood down within the 6 months and in both cases it has already been announced by RAA that the nominations for these respective positions has already closed on 31st May for the respective positions. Both positions have already been announced that they have been filled already, unapposed.

How do you have an election for someone who does not exist any more. Ed Smith has already been elected unopposed to WA and in Qld you have Tony King and Trevor Bange elected unopposed.

The Executive cannot even get the holding of elections correct now. That is the way I understand the election process.

Perhaps someone out there more up on the constitution could advise me if I am incorrect.

• Agree 1

One bright spot on the horizon... The fewer Board members right now means each of those left share a bigger slice of the directors liability insurance pie :-)

Kaz

With tongue very firmly planted in cheek

• Haha 1

Just had a look at the RAAus website. Perhaps we can have the website changed from having a section on registration updates, and replace it with resignation updates? Might be more information provided to the members under that heading.

Kev

• Haha 6

Why would anyone want to serve on the RAAus Board with all the crap that comes from the members? 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Yup, everyones an expert.

I was El Prezedente of a motorcycle racing club for 7 years and now I look back and ask myself why the hell I put myself through that.

Why would anyone want to serve on the RAAus Board with all the crap that comes from the members? 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Crap from the Members?

30 dead...no safety system...an in-place safety system has been the responsibility of RAA board members (NOT staff) for YEARS....failure to have a safety system in place is a breach of the CASA Deed of Agreement....CASA issue $60,000 sanctions warning, withdraw it when RAA President acts..... dissident board members very publicly defy the President by issuing Censure motion, CASA get more serious.....total silence of the board to members and thousands of people affected by this impasse......no safety system in place opens RAA and CASA to multi million dollar claim losses......on the present trend one among us on this site will die within the next 12 months.

Just join the dots and you'll see where this has been heading and why there will be a change regardless of the puffery and egos.

Silence from the people who have not only failed to comply with the day to day requirement of something most companies have in place around Australia, but have failed to comply with the direct communication of a SAFETY AUTHORITY - and you call the responsible reactions from members crap?

While Gavin might not have won an interpersonal skills award, it's my understanding that he didn't resign because of comments from members, but utter frustration with constant blocking from some board members. He probably would be a good person to talk to.

• Like 4

Gavin might have resigned in frustration, then again he might have had other reasons. The fact is until he lets people know his reasons we can only guess. I have been following this RAAus debacle for quite some time and have trying to figure out what one action could have avoided all the problems we now face. I think the answer is simply ACCOUNTABILITY. The Executive/Board members have not been accountable for their actions because they simply did not tell anyone what was happening or how they responded to any challenges.

When I read any minutes of their meeting it is filled with such useless information such as ""motion to XXXXX short discussion ensued, CARRIED" or similar. No information as to why that item is being discussed, what issues were brought up in discussion or the results of any voting. The board need to provide to the members full disclosure of any issues, the discussion surrounding that issue AND how they voted. This needs to be in the format of proper minutes of any meeting being available on the Members section of the website. (And a proper Agenda so we know what may be coming up at a meeting if we wish to have any input). That way if any members can see that a particular Board member was not acting in the best interest of the membership, there is the possibility he/she can be given direction from those he/she represents.

Can anyone honestly say that if such a system was in place we would still be in the mess we are currently in?

Kev

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Gavin might have resigned in frustration, then again he might have had other reasons. The fact is until he lets people know his reasons we can only guess. I have been following this RAAus debacle for quite some time and have trying to figure out what one action could have avoided all the problems we now face. I think the answer is simply ACCOUNTABILITY. The Executive/Board members have not been accountable for their actions because they simply did not tell anyone what was happening or how they responded to any challenges.When I read any minutes of their meeting it is filled with such useless information such as ""motion to XXXXX short discussion ensued, CARRIED" or similar. No information as to why that item is being discussed, what issues were brought up in discussion or the results of any voting. The board need to provide to the members full disclosure of any issues, the discussion surrounding that issue AND how they voted. This needs to be in the format of proper minutes of any meeting being available on the Members section of the website. (And a proper Agenda so we know what may be coming up at a meeting if we wish to have any input). That way if any members can see that a particular Board member was not acting in the best interest of the membership, there is the possibility he/she can be given direction from those he/she represents.

Can anyone honestly say that if such a system was in place we would still be in the mess we are currently in?

Kev

There very definitely is a need for open and transparent performance metrics for Board members and, as an incoming Board member, I'd be happy to see each member's voting record be a part of that. This is something I and at least a couple of others intend to pursue, assuming we have the numbers in the new Board come September.

• Like 6

The mark of a true leader is the ability to be judged by his peers.

Very romantic but it's a fact that most people don't know what they want and it takes a decisive stronger person to lead, take command and take responsibilty for making the hard decisions - all the while being savaged by his peers.

• Caution 1

Crap from the Members?30 dead...no safety system...an in-place safety system has been the responsibility of RAA board members (NOT staff) for YEARS....failure to have a safety system in place is a breach of the CASA Deed of Agreement....CASA issue $60,000 sanctions warning, withdraw it when RAA President acts..... dissident board members very publicly defy the President by issuing Censure motion, CASA get more serious.....total silence of the board to members and thousands of people affected by this impasse......no safety system in place opens RAA and CASA to multi million dollar claim losses......on the present trend one among us on this site will die within the next 12 months.

Just join the dots and you'll see where this has been heading and why there will be a change regardless of the puffery and egos.

Silence from the people who have not only failed to comply with the day to day requirement of something most companies have in place around Australia, but have failed to comply with the direct communication of a SAFETY AUTHORITY - and you call the responsible reactions from members crap?

While Gavin might not have won an interpersonal skills award, it's my understanding that he didn't resign because of comments from members, but utter frustration with constant blocking from some board members. He probably would be a good person to talk to.

Hear Hear Tubs- couldn't have said it better myself. We are now at the point that even GOOD people are being overwhelmed by the chasm of incompetence that has been dug by the current board.Change is inevitable and change comes with pain- let's hope it also comes with promise and a future......

• Like 1

Very romantic but it's a fact that most people don't know what they want and it takes a decisive stronger person to lead, take command and take responsibilty for making the hard decisions - all the while being savaged by his peers.

You've actually quoted what it does mean; I think the wording of the saying is 19th century.

As a leader you have keep momentum rolling to get things done despite the complexity, while all those doing nothing to help loudly criticise you. It can be devastating at times if you've worked extremely hard and had a success only to have people why you haven't achieved next week's goal. the good ones just get it all done with a smile.

• Agree 1

. . . no safety system

True that a Safety System is more than a document signed, sealed and delivered but for those who like you doubted my word, following is a direct quote from my former ally and ex President Runciman:

"

The SMS . . . is in existence in RA-Aus now and it was accepted by the board at the Sep 11 board meeting and since that board meeting it has been gathering dust, despite the best efforts of some of us to get this thing moving!

"

Is that sufficient evidence for you to now accept my many, many, many times assertion of this fact?Steve's memory is correct. I've checked the Board Minutes for Sep 2011 and it is all there.

The SMS represented the single most important Policy decision taken by any RA-Aus Board in many years - if not ever! So, whose job was it between Sep 2011 when it received Board approval and June 2013 when the roll out of the SMS to the to the FTF's commenced? Let me assure you that no part-time, geographically-challenged Board Member was going to be actually doing this work. It was not the job of Board Members to carry out this Policy, it was the job of the CEO to GET IT DONE.

So, if after a couple of months the President checked up with the CEO and asked where it's up to and got the reply "not started" what should the President (Runciman) have done? Perhaps ask what extra resources were needed to get the job done? Report back to the Board that there had been a delay? Should the President have included a progress statement to the Members in the RA-Aus magazine?

So, after 6 months, still nothing is done. The response from the CEO as I recall it was "other priorities have prevented me getting to this work and I'll report back to the Board in 6 months from now". Would you then vote in favour of an extraordinary pay rise of 15% for the CEO? I didn't but the Board majority including Ed Herring did vote in favour and it was carried and paid. Can anyone imagine such a thing happening in the business world? Immediately prior to the Feb 2012 Board Meeting, Aerosafe (a firm recommended by CASA) facilitated an excellent Risk Assurance Workshop for the Board and the CEO. It was attended by all Board Members as I recall, except for Myles Breitkreutz. From that workshop a number of Actions were recorded and most naturally fell to the CEO to GET DONE. I doubt that any of them were done before he eventually "resigned".

So, if after 12 months, the President was still reporting "not done" and "we are failing CASA audits" would not the members be wondering what the hell was going on? CASA clearly were wondering but the members were perhaps, blissfully unaware.

. . . an in-place safety system has been the responsibility of RAA board members (NOT staff) . . .

True. Absolutely true. The buck stops with the Board. It was the CEO's job to get it done and the Board's job, through the President to see that it was being done. Between Board Meetings the Executive is charged with getting Board approved policy executed. Runciman and Middleton were the majority vote on the the Executive for all of the time from when the SMS was signed off until quite recently when Ed Herring joined Middleton. The latter two omitted involving the Treasurer (Michael Apps) in their STCC scheming, probably for the same reason as they didn't consult the rest of the Board - they didn't think that their unsavoury approach would be supported.

. . . dissident board members very publicly defy the President by issuing Censure motion . . .

"defy" OMG! The hide of the Board to have an opinion on whether the President's illegal conduct was worthy of censure. For just about the first time in years, the Board has stood up to the bully boy tactics of a runaway President/Executive. They are to be congratulated for showing real backbone and requiring an end to poor governance and demanding the Board live up to the unqualified assurances given to the members at the Queanbeyan EGM.

. . . total silence of the board to members

This has been the problem all along - unwarranted secrecy. Secretary Middleotn, the person you would think would be publishing information to the members, has been Secretary for all this time. In my view, Middleton is one of the prime architects of the Mushroom policy. This is the person who was asked at the Feb EGM if he was aware of any other legal actions against RA-Aus and answered NO. That was hard enough to swallow on the day and since then we have found out there were several actions commenced on behalf of grounded aircraft owners and importer(s).

Hopefully this change will be a Board who holds the Chief Exec (GM) accountable and respects the Constitution and starts to communicate effectively with the membership. If those things were happening for the last two years we would never have arrived at the awful situation we find ourselves in now.

While Gavin might not have won an interpersonal skills award, it's my understanding that he didn't resign because of comments from members, but utter frustration with constant blocking from some board members.

Perhaps Gavin could have included in his resignation statement exactly why he felt the need to bail out with just 3 months to go. Guessing is pointless - unless we hear it from the source we will never know. Gavin will be remembered for his curious posts here and for having supported from day one to his last day, a Board Executive that has overseen all but the destruction of RA-Aus.

• Agree 2

That would be a pretty scary document. I have urged incoming Board Members to do two things in this regard

1. Get a thorough briefing on the cover provided by the Office Bearers Liability Policy; and,

2. Get a written paper from Senior Counsel on the liabilities of volunteer, unpaid Board Members of a not-for-profit Association.

In that way they can make a judgement as to what they are risking by being on the Board and whether the cover should be enhanced.

The Constitution Rule 36 allows any member to inspect any document on the following basis:

"The records, books and other documents of the Association shall be open to inspection at a place

in the ACT, free of charge, by a Member of the Association on request at any reasonable hour."

The "place" is Pirie Street, Fyshwick.

There very definitely is a need for open and transparent performance metrics for Board members and, as an incoming Board member, I'd be happy to see each member's voting record be a part of that. This is something I and at least a couple of others intend to pursue, assuming we have the numbers in the new Board come September.

TK58 you will have my absolute support on that issue.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

The announcement of Gavin's resignation has now been amended, as it needed to be, to exclude the by-election for WA.

Ed Smith, a fellow with a good reputation, will take up the WA representative position on the Board at the AGM in September.