J230 engine failure weipa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a Jab, isn't that the reason ! ( sorry, not a big fan of the engine or nose wheel ) give me a rag-n-tube any day !

Yes Pat. Everybody is entitled to their own stupid opinion, but no hard feelings

Phil

• Agree 6
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Yes Pat. Everybody is entitled to their own stupid opinion, but no hard feelingsPhil

Going by Jabiru's reliability record, I wouldn't call Pat's opinion stupid. I would call in a informed opinion based on the engines history.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is there any word on what caused the engine failure / forced landing up near weipa.?

Sensible question looking for INFORMATION. PN and Dazza if you have no information why don't you stick your finger elsewhere then the post button otherwise this post will be turned into crap as usual. If you think you are being funny then why not post in the comedy section.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Sensible question looking for INFORMATION. PN and Dazza if you have no information why don't you stick your finger elsewhere then the post button otherwise this post will be turned into crap as usual. If you think you are being funny then why not post in the comedy section.

Not being funny at all, it is obvious that Jabiru have more than there fair share of engine failures.

• Agree 3

Here are the facts of this incident.

The pilot in command landed the aircraft as a precautionary to inspect a suspected problem, the aircraft had a lot of non standard aftermarket parts fitted. The suspected problem was repaired easily and the aircraft was flown out without further incident to the aircraft or pilot.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3
  • Informative 4

Not being funny at all, it is obvious that Jabiru have more than there fair share of engine failures.

Ah yes Dazza , some Jab. owners have had engine failures, and for a variety of reported reasons , however the facts regarding those failures , are often either highly questionable , misreported or not reported at all . There are also many success stories , but we don't often hear about those , like the flying school at Moree I visited recently , who were generous in their praise for the Jab engines , and how they change their engines over at 1000 , usually trouble free hours , receiving a very attractive change over price from the factory . I am also personally aware of an instance ,where a big end bearing on a Jab 2200 ' ran ' after 100 hours on a reco. engine . The pilot kept the engine running , and returned some 5 miles back to the airstrip , landing without incident . When I checked the engine the oil level barely registered on the stick , and the bearing had all but disappeared . I believe the pilot was doing practicing forced landings with steep climb outs . If there is a fault with the Jab engines it is their minimal oil capacity , and all prudent owners check the level prior to each departure . Interestingly , in this instance , the factory agreed to cover the damage under warranty with some small contribution by the owner .

Bob

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

We seem to have a difficulty when Jab engines are mentioned. In the absence of facts why do some jump in and bag them? Probably 1/3rd of the active flying is done by jab engined aircraft. I don't own one but I would be highly disappointed by the comments, and be inclined to walk away from this forum They do fail sometimes but not for the same reasons. It's not constructive to just write them off. Some do get a good run and others don't there are a lot of variables in the way they are operated and installed and heat and mixture are usually at the cause. Nev

• Agree 6
  • Helpful 1

We seem to have a difficulty when Jab engines are mentioned. In the absence of facts why do some jump in and bag them? Probably 1/3rd of the active flying is done by jab engined aircraft. I don't own one but I would be highly disappointed by the comments, and be inclined to walk away from this forum They do fail sometimes but not for the same reasons. It's not constructive to just write them off. Some do get a good run and others don't there are a lot of variables in the way they are operated and installed and heat and mixture are usually at the cause. Nev

I was not bagging the engine I was merely pointing out that I don't think it was necessary for Pat's opinion to be referred to a "Stupid". Like I said in post 6. I think that PN has made a opinion based on the engine failure reports and /or the quantity of those reports.

• Agree 1

Dazza ,

I read recently on this forum a post that stated , from memory ,that Jabiru are going / have gone ,back to solid lifters . Nothing further than the truth ,and why on earth would they ? Nothing wrong with the hydraulic lifters . In fact they have only recently changed to installing roller lifters .I am aware however of individuals reverting to solid lifters ,for reasons best known to themselves ,but certainly it is not being done by the Jabiru factory . Unfortunately this is how rumours commence .

Bob

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Here are the facts of this incident.The pilot in command landed the aircraft as a precautionary to inspect a suspected problem, the aircraft had a lot of non standard aftermarket parts fitted. The suspected problem was repaired easily and the aircraft was flown out without further incident to the aircraft or pilot.

Brian

Not what was quoted by the pilot to the Courier Mail? http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pilot-tells-of-jabiru-emergency-landing-after-takeoff-from-weipa/story-fnihsrf2-1226662748272

• Haha 1

If the quotes and report is correct, then that sounds exactly like what happened to me in our J230 (except for the abandoned airfield). Run rough for 5-10 seconds, then complete failure with engine locked. I am very interested to find out what the cause was in this case as we were never told what happened to ours. Ours was picked up from the site and sent directly to Jabiru in Bundaberg by the insurance company. Jabiru refused to tell us what the cause was.

Hi Biggles,

I am and have been seriously considering buying J230 in approx. 3 years time. I can't think of another aircraft out there that can be RAA registered with the same huge cargo area and great cruise speed as a J230. It will be great to see how the roller rockers go.

• Like 1

Hi Biggles,I am and have been seriously considering buying J230 in approx. 3 years time. I can't think of another aircraft out there that can be RAA registered with the same huge cargo area and great cruise speed as a J230. It will be great to see how the roller rockers go.

Dazza ,

I called into the factory last week . It appears , and I stand corrected on this , but so far results are all positive . Difficult to tell the difference when flying ,but it seems that vibration is noticeably reduced on test bench. But of course that is not the main reason for the change .Best to go into Jabiru site , check their latest Jabbachat , not that it necessarily reflects all the recent changes ,or speak to one of the engineers about recent and future mods . I am convinced however ,that they are determined to sort out any problems , whether real or perceived , and end up with a very robust engine . I think the J230 is a good choice for a touring aircraft and the engine should give good service if properly maintained , and operated as recommended .As much as I love my J160 , it would be nice to have the extra space for us both during long hauls ,but then again I guess some people are never happy !

Bob

• Like 1

Jabiru refused to tell us what the cause was.

Not good!...I`ve never had a Jabiru engine but I have had enough total engine failures to know we can`t fix the cause of the failure if we don`t know what the cause was/is.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't indulge in calling people stupid etc ( I hope) but one might say that certain actions are stupid or ill conceived, or perhaps unwise, in some instances. We shouldn't get personal ( as sometimes happens), because things go off the rails quickly, once that happens

. You ARE entitled to have an opinion, and where necessary be prepared to justify it, if asked.. Isn't that the way conversation is carried out? A lot of information is passed on here. Not always is agreement attained. That is fair enough, and the way it will always be. Nev

• Agree 1

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif-Linda

The whole story either makes no sense or paints a very bad picture of the pilot:

- 15 minutes after takeoff from Weipa doesn't get you anywhere near Aurukun or Coen, it doesn't even get you between the two.

- 1500 feet flying over swamps in the middles of no-where?

With only seconds to make a decision, the pilot of 38 years and his passenger Ivan Nunn grabbed a map to find land as they flew over wetlands.

If you still need a map to find a suitable landing spot when you're already gliding from 1500 feet, you're most likely not going to make it...

The pair scrapped their original location because it was too dangerous but found a piece of land, surrounded by a swamp, and attempted the landing at an outstation in an area between Aurukun and Coen.

"There were no other options at all," Mr Knowles said.

So was there other option that they've picked first or wasn't there any?

Also some more links with the rescuers side of the story:

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/cairns/2013/06/12/pilot-and-passenger-located-safe-and-well-coen-area/

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/cairns/2013/06/13/emergent-aircraft-landing-sees-coen-police-to-the-rescue/

And looks like the Jab didn't fly off on its own after all:

Jabiru SHOULD pass on their assessment of the cause of the failure. I guess they have been advised this may expose them to legal action (whether justified or not). A lot of warrantee rectification is done without telling why the part was replaced, probably for the same reason, with cars. You pick up the vehicle and notice the shiny new part fitted. Nothing said. Nev

• Agree 2

Brilin air, are you talking about the same incident ? As the pilot reported to the news mob " the prop stopped spinning" that's not a precautionary anything !

Jab Phil, no offence intended, I think the Jab is a great aircraft fr others to fly, I have spoken at length with the sales reps on two occasions regarding their engines and they tend to place the blame solely on the operators and take no responsibility for the apparent large number of failures.

Dazza, thanks for the support, my stupid opinion was just that MINE, and I hold it firmly next to my bottom which will never be seen in a Jab ( I do have 26 hours in a J170 ) from many years ago.

I don't see what's wrong with not liking an aircraft type or manufacturer, it's just like food, I don't like Brussel sprouts, that's not to say the farmers are stupid for growing them or that those that do like them are stupid.

I guess I'm lucky in that the four engine failures I've had in my 3300 flying hours have been one partial failure in a rotax 582 due to carbi icing ( my fault for flying my drifter at 7500 ft in minus 4 dec C ), one engine seize in a Jab 170 at a flying school, successful forced landing in Farmer Joe's paddock, an interesting beach landing in a C172 when the engine ran very rough and then failed and a Baron 58 starboard engine that failed enroute to banks town from Archerfield.

• Agree 1