RAAus Members portal

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Wrote to the board this evening saying that I'm seriously impressed with the direction that the members portal is taking. Having the CASA Deed of Agreement and similar fundamental documents available to members is, IMHO a significant step forward and away from the historical lack of transparency!

Have you guys had a look around inside it?

Andy

I sent an email to the manager suggesting the magazine be supplied in electronic format via the portal as an option.

Knocking a few dollars off my membership would be a bonus.....

Guest Andys@coffs
I sent an email to the manager suggesting the magazine be supplied in electronic format via the portal as an option.Knocking a few dollars off my membership would be a bonus.....

I agree....and the benefit would be that we can get it as soon as its released rather than at some vague time that varies month to month after posting

Andy

Wrote to the board this evening saying that I'm seriously impressed with the direction that the members portal is taking. Having the CASA Deed of Agreement and similar fundamental documents available to members is, IMHO a significant step forward and away from the historical lack of transparency!Have you guys had a look around inside it?

Andy

members portal? not obvious to me on the website.

I sent an email to the manager suggesting the magazine be supplied in electronic format via the portal as an option.Knocking a few dollars off my membership would be a bonus.....

I kinda like the magazine, since CASA dropped the paper edition of Flight Safety I've never bothered to go on line for it, it was always a good one to have beside the throne hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

• Like 1

Had a look and there is actually information there now. When it was first announced I went for a look and it was completely empty. Definitely progress and the promise of lots of stuff to come.

• Agree 1

I kinda like the magazine, since CASA dropped the paper edition of Flight Safety I've never bothered to go on line for it, it was always a good one to have beside the throne hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Yup, same here. I haven't bothered to go online either for the Flight safety Mag. Plus not everybody has the internet.

Yup, same here. I haven't bothered to go online either for the Flight safety Mag. Plus not everybody has the internet.

That's funny, neither have I.

I wonder how many people don't bother with the Flight Safety mag anymore.

Sport Pilot doesn't seem to hold my interest anymore either. But my interests, being at the rag and tube spectrum of our sport, doesn't get much exposure these days - probably too many ol' fogies like me who won't get off their arses and contribute. So these days the pile of unread Sport Pilot magazines is getting higher and higher. Could be a saving here if it went electronic.......

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

I agree that the members potal is a great idea, I had a look the other day. Does anybody know who is actually behind it's creation ? More current info is what we want.......The CASA Safety Digest is history for me, and I probably read my first one back around 1969.........Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Since the CASA safety magazine went ONLY on line, I have not read a new one since.

I think we need both options, the one on line so those that want to can, and the other just wait for it in the mail. I basically would never look at Sport Pilot on line, but other avid computer users would.

With clubs I know, about 18% of members do not own a computer, and of those that do, only a small percentage read everything on line.

Give us both please.

• Agree 1

Hello all. Interesting comments about the magazine being available on the net for download. I will look into this. It has already been discussed to some amount with the board. I think from memory there are some copyright issues. Will check and get back to the thread in the nearish future.

Jim Tatlock

Victoria State Representative

• Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

One critical issue before tossing around the idea of continuing to print a magazine, might be to find out exactly what it costs members. We've recently seen some member objecting strenuously to around $20 subscription increase for the cost of an SMS Manager, but what if the magazine costs $80 of each subscription?

Making sure of what not only the magazine, but Natfly costs per year should be a priority for any prudent management.

The argument that pilots don't own or can't use computers, if true, would be a red flag for CASA to do more ramp checks, since more and more data is web based.

It's a stretch to say that a pilot can do a flight plan, get a weather report, obtain NAIPS data, but can't use a computer these days.

I've long wondered why back issues at least, if not the current issue, aren't on the portal (or somewhere else). If other organisations (e.g.SAAA) can do it there must be a way. Electronic distribution has become the norm. Time for RAAus to move with the times. At the very least this needs to be on the agenda next time the magazine contract comes up for renewal. I agree with Tiger that both options need to be available.

• Helpful 1

I for one don't have time to sit and read a magazine on-line. Isn't it the advertisements that cover the cost (or the greatest percentage of it) of the mag.

Because of the 'sport pilot' mag. being passed around at work after I've finished it has caused a fair amount of interest among the crew, two of them have become members and gone on to achieve their pilot certificate. This would not have happened without the magazine being in print.

Just my opinion. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers Davo.

• Agree 2

" It's a stretch to say that a pilot can do a flight plan, get a weather report, obtain NAIPS data, but can't use a computer these days."

Use a computer may well be a fair statement but in relation to submitting a flight plan, obtaining 'official' weather and NAIPS info it may well surprise you. At least in regional areas for RAA only qualified pilots.

I for one don't have time to sit and read a magazine on-line. Isn't it the advertisements that cover the cost (or the greatest percentage of it) of the mag.Because of the 'sport pilot' mag. being passed around at work after I've finished it has caused a fair amount of interest among the crew, two of them have become members and gone on to achieve their pilot certificate. This would not have happened without the magazine being in print.

Just my opinion. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers Davo.

Dazza also made a point about liking to read paper magazines, and proved his point by posting in the wrong thread, but we know what he means.

We are at the beginning of electronic media. the two main newspaper chains in Australia have made major changes to the numbers of staff and type of staff they employ, and are winding down print media fast and ramping up their electronic versions just as fast (I'm not impressed that they seem to think they can get the same subscription rates for electronic as they got employing hundreds of people and big print and distribution infrastructure.)

I like hunting each day while on camping trips, but these days either I can't do it in many areas, or need four licences up in the mountain wilderness - time moves on.

What you are thinking of is just an electronic version of the print magazine.

Instead, think of a structure where you click on and see the President talking to you about an issue. He explains that several options are available at varying costs and the screen goes to a full size spreadsheet with graph, and you can instantly see the result when he changes the input. He provides a series of bullet point screens, and wraps up the discussion by asking you to vote on the attached poll, or write some feedback on the issue. For the next couple of weeks you can see what others think and how they are voting. You click on another news item and see an actual video with the Technical Manager showing you how to identify and issue and how to fix it. You can also post comments on this news item of your own fixes.

You click on an advertisement, and there's a video of the aircraft for sale and a dozen colour photos.

Electronics are taking us to a new world of communication and you can already see this interaction I spoke of on the two Media Majors' websites.

David, the point I was making about the costs is we don't know; have a look at the Annual Report and you'll have no idea whether the price should go up or down, the ad prices should go up or down, or the whole thing should be dropped like a hot rock as a costly boat anchor.

Good point you made about other people reading the magazine and converting them to members - that's what magazines do, no disagreement from me there. However electronics do it even better. My wife has some road train videos on You Tube, and one which shows a road train de-coupling and splitting up into semis has had 26,000 views. All it really is is two operators walking around doing their days work.

Dazza also made a point about liking to read paper magazines, and proved his point by posting in the wrong thread, but we know what he means.We are at the beginning of electronic media. the two main newspaper chains in Australia have made major changes to the numbers of staff and type of staff they employ, and are winding down print media fast and ramping up their electronic versions just as fast (I'm not impressed that they seem to think they can get the same subscription rates for electronic as they got employing hundreds of people and big print and distribution infrastructure.)

I like hunting each day while on camping trips, but these days either I can't do it in many areas, or need four licences up in the mountain wilderness - time moves on.

What you are thinking of is just an electronic version of the print magazine.

Instead, think of a structure where you click on and see the President talking to you about an issue. He explains that several options are available at varying costs and the screen goes to a full size spreadsheet with graph, and you can instantly see the result when he changes the input. He provides a series of bullet point screens, and wraps up the discussion by asking you to vote on the attached poll, or write some feedback on the issue. For the next couple of weeks you can see what others think and how they are voting. You click on another news item and see an actual video with the Technical Manager showing you how to identify and issue and how to fix it. You can also post comments on this news item of your own fixes.

You click on an advertisement, and there's a video of the aircraft for sale and a dozen colour photos.

Electronics are taking us to a new world of communication and you can already see this interaction I spoke of on the two Media Majors' websites.

David, the point I was making about the costs is we don't know; have a look at the Annual Report and you'll have no idea whether the price should go up or down, the ad prices should go up or down, or the whole thing should be dropped like a hot rock as a costly boat anchor.

Good point you made about other people reading the magazine and converting them to members - that's what magazines do, no disagreement from me there. However electronics do it even better. My wife has some road train videos on You Tube, and one which shows a road train de-coupling and splitting up into semis has had 26,000 views. All it really is is two operators walking around doing their days work.

Thanks Tubs, I wondered where my post went 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif.lol

How much does the magazine cost? This is only to the end of March 2013 (all without GST)

Expenses

RA-Aus Publications $218,332.71 (this might include other things like self promotion)

Income

Magazine Sales $8,090.37

Display Advertising $2,431.82

Members Market Advertising $19,257.96

Plus an unspecified amount as part of the membership fee (note it costs $60 for a 12 month subscription only membership)

Income for 9 months = $29,780.15

Expenses for 9 months = $218,332.71

Difference = $-188,552.56 (9 months), $- 251,403 for 12 months - this comes from member subscriptions

Guess 9,200 members = $27.35 each per year

Note that these figures don't take into account the time spent by employees in their normal course of work, and not sure if part of the postage may be attributable to the magazine. Being a part year statement, some bills, income may be outstanding.

One advantage of the magazine - if a notice is placed in it, it is deemed to have been delivered to every member. The other advantage is being able to hand them on, leave them at the hairdressers, surgery, flying school etc.

Sue

• Informative 1

I like the mag. I like having it around. I like passing it on to my Doctor, Dentist ect., I don't want to have to read it online...I think 30 bucks a year is a bargain.............I don't want it changed...

• Agree 1

Guess 9,200 members = $27.35 each per year

I'd add about $65,000 employee cost to that based on my own head scratching each month when I'm writing a similar document, and it might be that the actual cost is in the vicinity of $50.00 per member.

One way or the other, it's pretty disgraceful that the official figures are not available.

If you asked all 9200 members whether they wanted to continue spending the $25 to $50 per year or wanted to drop it, I suspect more people would respond than currently vote, particularly the ones who "only want to go flying"

However, if they don't object to it and don't vote, and those members who do vote are happy to spend that cost (which even at $50 is lower than many industry magazines), there's no real issue.

I'm just saying, get the real costs, keep an eye on the circulation, and also keep an eye on what's happening in the electronic world because that's where we are going.

If RAAus is charging $60/yr for it, then that's probably just a tad over cost. Compared to other flying industry publications, (@$7.50/issue), it's probably quite good value @ $5/issue.

I agree with others about its' promotional value. We place our FTF 'sticker' on them and leave them in dental and medical rooms around this city. I do the same to all the other magazines that I get - SAAA,AOPA,AF,AA,and PF. Some we leave at the RPT terminal kiosk newspaper table with a $2 'fee' payable to RFDS on them. RFDS box on same table. Seems to work -they actually put $2 in the tin, and we've had a couple TIF's from it.

Conclusion: Keep the paper version for a couple more years and ask members to comment further, and, dare I say it......we might all begin to contribute to improve it!!

happy days,

We are in this on line world and it is probably inevitable that many magazines of all types will slowly disappear to be replaced with on line versions and you will have to pay to access them. This is already happening in the world of news.

I have actually been on to the CASA website to view the on line version of Flight Safety but just the once. The hard copy coffee table magazine is by far and away the choice for me. I've got all the issues back to 2005 & find it interesting to pull out an early edition & see what was happening then. On line would be good too especially technical articles with a good search function.