Registration Delays

Jabiru7252

Yes, well that's an Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. Once those changes have been incorporated into CASR Part 45, the underwing letters may be reduced to 75 MM high - but not until.

Ha - the reference is in the AC:

6.1 Instrument number CASA EX10/10 ‘Exemption — Display of markings and

carriage of identification plates’ allows Australian fixed wing and rotorcraft with a

maximum take off weight below 5700 kg and operating wholly within Australian territory to

be exempt from some of the requirements of CASR Part 45 that cover the location and size

of markings and the carrying of an aircraft registration identification plate.

6.2 Under the terms of the exemption, applicable aircraft will be exempt from:

• displaying markings on the undersurface of the wings as required by CASR

45.045(1);

• displaying lateral markings of 300 mm as required by CASR 45.065(3)(b)(ii) and

© item 1 — under the terms of the exemption the minimum height is 150 mm; and AC 45-01(2): Nationality and Registration Marks 3

Revised: March 2010

• carrying an aircraft registration identification plate as required by CASR 45.145(1),

provided the aircraft carries a fireproof manufacturer’s data plate as required by

CASR 21.820. See Section 9.3 ‘Aircraft Registration Identification Plate’ for an

explanation of the term ‘fireproof’.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha - the reference is in the AC:6.1 Instrument number CASA EX10/10 ‘Exemption — Display of markings and

carriage of identification plates’ allows Australian fixed wing and rotorcraft with a

maximum take off weight below 5700 kg and operating wholly within Australian territory to

be exempt from some of the requirements of CASR Part 45 that cover the location and size

of markings and the carrying of an aircraft registration identification plate.

6.2 Under the terms of the exemption, applicable aircraft will be exempt from:

• displaying markings on the undersurface of the wings as required by CASR

45.045(1);

• displaying lateral markings of 300 mm as required by CASR 45.065(3)(b)(ii) and

© item 1 — under the terms of the exemption the minimum height is 150 mm; and AC 45-01(2): Nationality and Registration Marks 3

Revised: March 2010

• carrying an aircraft registration identification plate as required by CASR 45.145(1),

provided the aircraft carries a fireproof manufacturer’s data plate as required by

CASR 21.820. See Section 9.3 ‘Aircraft Registration Identification Plate’ for an

explanation of the term ‘fireproof’.

Dafydd,

My interpretation of that is that we are not required to carry markings under the wings at all. And we are only required to carry 150mm+ markings on the side ?

Or did I miss something there?

If that is so, then it follows that there is little need to send in a photo of the wing, with the next registration renewal?

Pete

Guest Andys@coffs

Pete

Whether that interpretation is correct or not is irrelevant while our tech manual specifies you will have them. Today if our tech manual specifies photos must be provide of the underside of wing with pilot standing on head in corner in photo then that's what they expect to see no matter what alignment or otherwise the need to stand on head has to any CASA rules.

If we want the standing on head requirement removed then the only way is by up issuing our tech manual to reflect the new set of requirements.

So, for us in RAAus if our tech manual stipulates something we will be given zero ability to deviate from that.

Andy

When is the new tech manual due for release? Or maybe the one after this one.

Well, our last CEO was hired as a contractor to update the Ops manual, then hired as CEO before he finished, so no update on that since 2007...

In other words, don't hold your breath. It isn't just writing a draft, it also involves getting it agreed with CASA, and that is probably a marathon in itself.

• Agree 1

I thought I read the ops manual was with Casa for approval and they were turning their attention to drafting the tech manual revision, then all hell broke loose with registrations and it all went quiet.

Yes. This is normal.

dodo

• Informative 1

Seems to me when something wrong is found STOP this must be fixed .so when to owner finds out by post (yes post) or other means he usually will fix this straight away then it's to the bottom of the pile waiting for the casa guy,when he gets a chance to drop in .then he finds something else STOP etc etc.yep , best to phone up now and again or your rego may get left in the to hard basket longer.im now back in the casa guy pile hoping he can't find anything else when he next visits ,although nobody can say when this may happen. Sounds like the easy ones are getting done on time which is a great start, I just hope that flying is like riding a bike and I don't forget how when eventually back in the sky

Did my renewal electronically and e-mailed photo's 3 weeks ago. Thought I had it all covered. E-mailed this morning to see if all was OK as out of rego on Friday. Got an e-mail back requiring weight verification signed by the manufacturer! Rang to find out why it was required as the compliance plate photo affixed by the manufacturer clearly shows the empty weight and MTOW and why I was not notified sooner. Was told it was in the pile waiting for a LETTER to be sent out ( 3 weeks and they hadn't even sent the letter!) and that CASA now require a statement of weight signed by the manufacturer for each individual aircraft!!! Never heard of so much crap in my life!! HGFA where are you????

• Informative 1

I sent my renewal back about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard jack sh!t from them.

Better ring them Dazza, might be in the same pile waiting for them to send you a letter. I was keen to give them the benefit of the doubt and not hassle them and slow them down by contacting them. Seems that is a waste of time, they don't seem to do much unless you are on their back. Since I rang them about an hour ago, the letter has appeared in my e-mail inbox!! Anyone else know anything of this requirement for a weight verification signed by the manufacturer for every individual aircraft? First I have heard of it! Seems the placards we have to have really don't mean much. Seems I will also be unregistered Friday as I now don't have time to get everything done. How I wish I flew a trike and could just tell them to P*SS OFF and move to HGFA.

• Informative 2

Kevin, got mine yesterday only grounded for a month ,I found that if you phone up it's the only way to keep it moving,funny thing is no weight form was required on my aerochute?. That's going to be next years first delay

Scary thing is, they are not getting any better. I cross hire A J230 that was purchased 4 months ago, went through the so called " new system of registration" when the change of ownership was done. Rego recently came due, the owner submitted his renewal form only to be told their are no photo's on file for the aircraft. Are the registration drama's really being solved? Or is it the same old problems of poor record keeping over & over & over again.

• Agree 1

Weeks back I sent change of ownership paper works to them, heard nothing, rang them, told it was in the system to be done, I mentioned that the rego was about to expire as well, yes they said, it was, I gave her my c/card details to cover all costs. Weeks later still received nothing, rang them again just the other day, why the delay I ask.......O she says you were sent a email, that we need more info......sorry I says, you have not sent me any emails, yes we did, is the reply......NO YOU HAVE'NT, I says.

Yes, I,m of the view that questions need answers from Raa .

Acquaintance is battling to get his machine registered as well, 2 dash mounted placards re weight and safety shyte, he was told they RAA no longer supply, so he is required to get a printer to make these up,attach them to his dash,photograph them there, send that photo to Raa.

Raa since mentioned that they have inherited a right mess from previous staff, so that must mean new staff are now employed sorting the mess, hope so, or is it same staff under some new appointments......mmmmmmmm

Will I be flying my machine without 2014 rego card attached ......too bloody right I will be.......this stuff up is not of my making.

Kevin, got mine yesterday only grounded for a month ,I found that if you phone up it's the only way to keep it moving,funny thing is no weight form was required on my aerochute?. That's going to be next years first delay

This is interesting as I have never heard of the weight information being needed. 503 obviously didn't need it 2 days ago!! This info is already on the aircraft on the sticker showing aircraft empty weight and MTOW. This was done by the manufacturer and all are the same! Why would they need to know the weights of anything added (radio, gps etc.) as long as it is operated under MTOW ?

I don't get it.!!! has anyone else had to do this? I am trying to ring the WA rep for some answers but not answering right now. (Can't say I blame him in this current climate!) - Kev

It was all in the audits...remember the problems CASA found with Regos in the report were just a small sample they selected for audit...

I remember the audits. The point is, they already have the information and an identical aircraft rego approved 2 days ago was not asked for the information they are now asking of me. Is it being made up as they go along? The aircraft is a factory certified aircraft, certified and approved at the specified weight. Has anyone else been asked for a weight declaration by the manufacturer? Are they just trying to make being a member and getting aircraft rego'd deliberately difficult? Not advising members for three weeks when they require something and only after being contacted to ask what was happening is not the way to encourage membership. I don't know about a fee increase for membership, they should be offering discounts at the moment to try and get people to stay with them.

Seriously thinking of looking for a trike and moving to HGFA. RAAus are just not worth the effort, things just don't seem to be improving. Looking forward to cancelling my membership of the monopoly. Might be a bit dearer membership, but at least I will be able to fly.

I remember the audits. The point is, they already have the information and an identical aircraft rego approved 2 days ago was not asked for the information they are now asking of me. Is it being made up as they go along? The aircraft is a factory certified aircraft, certified and approved at the specified weight. Has anyone else been asked for a weight declaration by the manufacturer? Are they just trying to make being a member and getting aircraft rego'd deliberately difficult? Not advising members for three weeks when they require something and only after being contacted to ask what was happening is not the way to encourage membership. I don't know about a fee increase for membership, they should be offering discounts at the moment to try and get people to stay with them.Seriously thinking of looking for a trike and moving to HGFA. RAAus are just not worth the effort, things just don't seem to be improving. Looking forward to cancelling my membership of the monopoly. Might be a bit dearer membership, but at least I will be able to fly.

If it's any consolation AK, you have company in your misery. I have a parallel to your situation in that my completed re-rego papers/details and cheque were sent to RAA on the very day they were received in the mail (five weeks ago). This is for an aircraft that was kept on the ground (tho fully registered) for three months awaiting CASA-inspired RAA scrutiny for dotting of 'i's & crossing of 't's before processing the transfer of ownership into my name when I bought it last Nov. Eventually they advised that I had to provide photos of the MTOW placard which I duly forwarded and, upon which the new valid certificate of ownership was ultimately issued. This took place in mid Feb of this year (and heaping insult on injury, I might add that I received no extension of annual registration to offset the three months grounding). Nevermind, at least I could go flying. Now, with my rego expiring tomorrow and nothing yet received, today I made a telephone enquiry of RAA and was advised that they had been sitting on it because they had no record of the "Warning, passengers fly at their own risk... blah, blah," placard. Like you, I find it hard to believe that what was kosher and passed muster seven months ago (well after CASA held their feet to the fire), now doesn't meet their requirements. My ex wife and her bloody mother didn't shift the goal posts that often! Over the past couple of years I've learned not to expect too much from RAA Fyshwick however, in view of their ever-changing and haphazard requirements, I would have thought that an email sometime in the preceeding 5 weeks advising that my details didn't now meet with their revised requirements would have been appropriate. I also say that, were there any other option, I would jump ship immediately as I've had a bellyfull of their "we're here to help you, have some more laxative" manner of dealing with a captive audience. Being in my mid-seventies, I don't have enough flying time left to have it eroded by someone's petty inconsistencies. So, a 200km rtn drive to Bindoon tomorrow to re-photo the placarding - I'm so damn mad I could spit!

• Like 1

Guest bluespot

RAAus are just not worth the effort, things just don't seem to be improving. Looking forward to cancelling my membership of the monopoly. Might be a bit dearer membership, but at least I will be able to fly.

I can well understand the sentiment. I have the same issues. Truth is, and no one has faced up to it, there will be NO PILOT CERTIFICATES by any "governing body" in 3 years time.

The audits and all the other blah is just due diligence on the part of CASA, in preparation for RPL.

Seems the new requirement to have all aircraft "weight verified" by the manufacturer is not able to be achieved. I spoke with the manufacturer of my aircraft and they have advised RAAus they will not sign new weight verifications sent to them for liability reasons, as they did not do the weighing. (sounds reasonable) The only way this can happen is if the aircraft needing it was to be returned to the factory for weighing. (not going to happen is it?)

As such the only way for RAAus to get this information on record is to accept the OWNER as being able to verify the information, not the manufacturer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Final installment (I hope)

Got a response from RAAus that weight form to be signed off by Level 2 or 4 maintenance holder. As i'm nowhere near either (WA has only one level 4), i did it myself and sent it in. Got a call from Darren Barnfield that all was OK, he would sign it as a Level 4. Apparently the new Tech Manual (when it comes out) has removed this difficult requirement. He will let the office know to remove the wording of the requirement for manufacturer verification from any future letters that go out.

Hope I get an e-mail to say its registered soon, as it expires tomorrow. (unless they need something else they haven't told me about yet)

Kev

• Winner 1