Ausfly casa check

bell47

I recently flew with my dad to Narromine Ausfly, I flew a brumby low wing (very nice plane to fly btw) on arrival I contacted ground and stated where I would like to park and they directed to me to the appropriate area. Once I shut down I opened the canopy and had noticed a guy walking over to the plane in a yellow vest, I initially thought it was going to be a ramp check, turns out he wanted to do a breath test. But he walked over to the right side of the plane where my dad was sitting and wanted to breath test him, I found this quite surprising that someone from casa did not know which side the pilot sat, dad told him he wasn't the pilot and he was quite surprised and came over to breath test me, he also didn't realise that I was a minor and he then had ask my dad for permission for me to provide a breath sample. So I was really surprised on the lack of knowledge from this casa officer

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't have thought that was the way to address it . The offense is committed as soon as he does anything to do with airside work, and IF the level of alcohol is such as to affect his ability to fly then he should be prevented from flying, rather than being fined after he has completed the flight successfully. Anyone who has a plane on the airport and consumes alcohol could be pinged as you are available to fly your plane. All a bit stupid if you ask me, but then I haven't been asked.. Nev

It's a bit difficult breath testing a pilot in flight I would guess...

Not unless he was a helicopter pilot

"Just hover to the side of that cloud, sir. You've been stopped for the purpose of a random breath test."094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

OME

Guest Andys@coffs

Trouble is we're spread all over the place......If they advertised a special purpose "Fly-in" then they get a great gathering of folk all in the one place <Unless you killed yourself on the way due to being blotto!>

Andy

I sent a request for some information to the CASA DAMP Oversight sectiontoday and I got this automated reply:

"Please accept this email as acknowledgement that the CASA DAMP Oversight section has received your email. The DAMP Oversight section is currently experiencing a high level of correspondence, and we will respond to you in due course."

Admittedly, September is the month when DAMP organisations have to submit their 6-monthly report, but that is done electronically. I wonder who else is corresponding with them.

OME

So if I'm just down at the aero club having a beer judging everyone else's landings ;) and my plane is in the hangar they could "technically" ping me?

Simply state that you are not available for any safety sensitive aviation activity, full stop. I wouldn't even give my name in that situation, no need as a citizen going about private business.

The FAA has an interesting policy on inspections at flyin events....

A. Surveillance Policy. Air shows, fly‑ins, and other gatherings of general aviation aircraft and airmen are opportunities for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to present a positive image to the aviation community with whom we work and the general public. Many of the aircraft operators attending these aviation events are regular users of our air traffic and flight service facilities, but their contact with Flight Standards personnel may have been rare. Most of the people who fly their airplanes to fly‑in events and air shows are aviation enthusiasts and hobbyists and are not employed in the aviation industry as pilots.

1) The FAA would like this important segment of airspace users to have a very positive image of inspectors and the safety activities inspectors perform. Therefore, the FAA encourages inspectors to establish early contact with sponsors and organizers of aviation events so that informational and FAA Safety Team activities can be planned to serve attendees.

2) Under no circumstances should these gatherings be targeted for a blanket sweep inspection of spectator airmen and aircraft.

3) The scope of surveillance conducted on aviation event performers and their aircraft will be determined by the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) manager.

4) Inspectors assigned work functions at aviation events should strive to earn the confidence of the attending and participating airmen. This can be accomplished by displaying expert technical knowledge as an aviation safety professional.

5) The guidance in this section does not preclude inspectors from taking appropriate action to resolve situations they observe that require immediate corrective action.

I recently flew with my dad to Narromine Ausfly, I flew a brumby low wing (very nice plane to fly btw) on arrival I contacted ground and stated where I would like to park and they directed to me to the appropriate area. Once I shut down I opened the canopy and had noticed a guy walking over to the plane in a yellow vest, I initially thought it was going to be a ramp check, turns out he wanted to do a breath test. But he walked over to the right side of the plane where my dad was sitting and wanted to breath test him, I found this quite surprising that someone from casa did not know which side the pilot sat, dad told him he wasn't the pilot and he was quite surprised and came over to breath test me, he also didn't realise that I was a minor and he then had ask my dad for permission for me to provide a breath sample. So I was really surprised on the lack of knowledge from this casa officer

I can see why he made this mistake .He made some assumptions on seeing a person in the aircraft sitting on the right hand side being at least twice the age of the one on the left hand side. He could have assume that the aircraft is piloted from the right hand ,it is sometimes done. Or he assumed that the person on the right hand was the instructor making him the pilot in command . His assumptions just didn't work out for him.

Guest Howard Hughes
I can see why he made this mistake .He made some assumptions on seeing a person in the aircraft sitting on the right hand side being at least twice the age of the one on the left hand side. He could have assume that the aircraft is piloted from the right hand ,it is sometimes done. Or he assumed that the person on the right hand was the instructor making him the pilot in command . His assumptions just didn't work out for him.

Is it a lesser offence if the second in command is found to be under the influence? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif