Plane crash in Bundaberg

The Pilot of this 19 registered low wing plane with a jabiru engine had aborted a landing into the south & was going around again & on his left turn, the wings unfortunately clipped a high tree & the plane impacted the ground in a nearby paddock. A nearby aviator rushed to where the aircraft had come to rest & the Pilot was still in the aircraft & although the aviator gave mouth to mouth for several minutes, he being the only occupant of the plane.

Terrible, but if John's report above is correct then it sounds like it was totally avoidable (I don't recall seeing too many 500 foot trees in Australia), what is anyone doing after a missed approach (or at any time for that matter) turning at a level low enough to clip a tree, is the training that people are receiving that bad or is it just a total neglect for the rules.

I know plenty of people will be thinking what a heartless .......... I am, but I'm sick of reading about avoidable accidents.

I hope John's report is incorrect and it was just some terrible accident.

what is anyone doing after a missed approach (or at any time for that matter) turning at a level low enough to clip a tree

Valid question.

is the training that people are receiving that bad or is it just a total neglect for the rules.

It is not the training. On a different thread we had several people who reckoned beat ups were just fine.

Bit early to start laying into "training' and turning low etc. It may have been an engine failure for all we know.

Anecdotal evidence of he said this and he saw that doesn't cut mustard if we are gunna start slaying people. There is a pilot with friends and family we need to be thinking about. My 2 cents

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 2

Terrible, but if John's report above is correct then it sounds like it was totally avoidable (I don't recall seeing too many 500 foot trees in Australia), what is anyone doing after a missed approach (or at any time for that matter) turning at a level low enough to clip a tree, is the training that people are receiving that bad or is it just a total neglect for the rules.I know plenty of people will be thinking what a heartless .......... I am, but I'm sick of reading about avoidable accidents.

I hope John's report is incorrect and it was just some terrible accident.

It's good to know your'e a law abiding pilot who would never stoop so low as to have an accident. We should all be like you, Aldo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's good to know your'e a law abiding pilot who would never stoop so low as to have an accident. We should all be like you, Aldo.

If John's post is correct, "was going around again and on his left turn......", and that was the turn on to crosswind, then what Aldo said is fair and reasonable. If you read to the end you'll see that Aldo hoped John's report is incorrect.

• Agree 3

If you had read and comprehended my post you would have understood where I was coming from, just about every accident we have seen in the last 12 months has been avoidable.

To put you in the picture yes I do fly by the rules so that I give myself the best chance of not ending up as a statistic (that's not to say it won't happen).

I have had an accident, I wrote off a Comanche 25 years ago but was lucky enough for four (4) of us to walk (run) away, I learnt my lesson that day (and I wasn't being stupid) and have continued to apply those lessons to every flight I make.

Aldo

• Like 3

If John's post is correct, "was going around again and on his left turn......", and that was the turn on to crosswind, then what Aldo said is fair and reasonable. If you read to the end you'll see that Aldo hoped John's report is incorrect.

Thanks Turbo

Nice to see some people understand where I was coming from.

Back on the thread title

I am in Bundy and I know the pilot and his family and all of us here are praying for his recovery.

He needed CPR for almost 1/2 hour before the ambo's could make it to him.

He has a broken Femor and possible spinal injuries. He is in critical but stable condition ATM in Brisbane.

For the record he has a 6 cyl jab motor in the storm and did not have any engine issues or loss of power as the media has reported.

The incident is under investigation so I can't say any more until the findings are released.

So please let's not speculate any more on this until the investigation is complete.

Safe flying

JabSP6

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2

Here's to hoping he makes a speedy and complete recovery. Thanks for the update JabSP6.

If you talk to him or his family, let them know that the community is pulling for them.

• Agree 5