Plane crash in Bundaberg

Please be advised that under site rules regarding accidents and incidents, this thread has been cleaned up.

Please remember the site rules regarding accidents and incidents:

3. Accidents and Incidents

1. Accidents and Incidents posts are to be made with consideration to them being a learning tool for the betterment of all forum members

2. No conclusions shall be made on the cause of any accident.

3. No allocation of personal blame shall be made directly or indirectly at any person.

4. Possible causes, or contributory factors, of an accident may be explored and opinion given based on the poster’s demonstrated reasons for giving such opinion.

5. All posts shall be sensible of the feelings of family and friends and expressed accordingly.

6. Strict moderation will be applied to all posts to ensure these rules are adhered to.

No i

Neil:Goldy?

No mate - an aircraft going back to Gatton from Archer Falls on Sunday, we were overflying Kilcoy at the time, the pilot issued the Mayday on 126.700 which is not monitored by ATC so I relayed for the pilot while he was busy.

Are all RA pilots on this forum aware that distress calls, where possible should be made on the appropriate CTR frequency for the area they are flying?, that's the second one in twelve months I have heard on a CTAF or MULTICOM.

It's no problem for a fellow pilot to relay but having the standby freq on your radio set to CTR or better still monitoring it when away from a CTAF area is not only good airmanship and CRM , but may save you in more ways than one. Just putting it out there......

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Giving CPR for nearly half an hour is not an easy thing to do especially to an adult male, full credit to those first on the scene and with the necessary training. Hope it turns out positively for pilot and family

Good reminder to go do the CPR refresher, might just save a mate.

• Agree 1

No iNo mate - an aircraft going back to Gatton from Archer Falls on Sunday, we were overflying Kilcoy at the time, the pilot issued the Mayday on 126.700 which is not monitored by ATC so I relayed for the pilot while he was busy.

Are all RA pilots on this forum aware that distress calls, where possible should be made on the appropriate CTR frequency for the area they are flying?, that's the second one in twelve months I have heard on a CTAF or MULTICOM.

It's no problem for a fellow pilot to relay but having the standby freq on your radio set to CTR or better still monitoring it when away from a CTAF area is not only good airmanship and CRM , but may save you in more ways than one. Just putting it out there......

Might be a good reason to update my radio.....by the time I stuff about with the old thumbwheels, I'd be on the ground.

No iNo mate - an aircraft going back to Gatton from Archer Falls on Sunday, we were overflying Kilcoy at the time, the pilot issued the Mayday on 126.700 which is not monitored by ATC so I relayed for the pilot while he was busy.

While I was aware of this, it seems some (too many) are not. Might be a worthy topic for a thread of it's own to bring it to the attention of more people.

Guest Maj Millard

Ballpoint, During Natfly 2010 I attended a forum put on by the AMSA boys, at Temora. They were just full of very interesting info in respect to their busy job of finding and rescuing people in distress. I spoke with them at length afterwards in respect to flying in remote country, as we do often up here in NQld.

I specifically asked what frequency should one put out the distress call in required. They stated that CNTR would be preferable, however putting one out on local CTAF would also be better than not putting one out at all. He told me that most commercial traffic would monitor CTAF frequency also, so the chances of being heard on either was pretty good, by overhead traffic, which could then relay. The best situation of course according to him was if time allowed to put a call out on each....................Maj...

Ballpoint, I was just wondering whether the Kilcoy pilot was flying locally in the CTAF, as many students would be doing, and most likely all of them having the CTAF frequency on a prompt card or memorised for their solo training, so may never have heard of CTR. Would it be possible for you to outline, what CTR does, and how the frequencies change after solo practice when a pilot starts doing cross country?

It is with great regret and a heavy heart that i inform you today the decission was made to turn off the life support for our friend.

He had irreparable damage to the spinal chord sustained from the 2 broken vertebrae in his neck. He also suffered broken ribs, another broken vertebra in his lower back along with a broken femur.

It is only due to the miraculous effort of those first at the scene that he was able to stay with us as long as he did.

He was a colourful character and will be truly missed.

All of our thoughts go out to his wife and family.

Andrew

JabSP6