Bit of a Problem

Guys/ Gals,

I have found a cheap single seat scratch built that I fit into, that I would like to buy as a project, while I finish off my licence.

A fair few of you will know that I'm 198cm and 130kg, so I'm pretty happy to have found something that fits.

I am somewhat demoralised by the range of aircraft in RAA that are able to accommodate non-midgets. I can fit into a GR Lightwing and the later Jabs (so far).

The issue is I would need a tailwheel endorsement. I looked at Sydney Rec's GR912, however it appears the useful load is about 170kg. I am not aware of any other dual tailwheelers that would take somebody of my size, unless there's somebody out there who knows of somebody with the 'mythical' 600kg mtow GR..........

So, this leaves with the GA route. A 150 is out. I tried on the 172 at Moruya just to make sure it wasn't just me. I guess I could go down that path, but looking at the Citabria specs (tail wheel), I doubt I'd be able to use one due to usable load. There may be medical issues with a PPL (I am investigating these atm).

Could any body out there please help me chart a path through this problem. My aim with aviation is to be self sufficient (build engines, maintain, trailer around, probably 50 hrs annually). I have 11 hrs GA, plus other unrecorded, but this is fairly old now.

Cheers

Kevin

• Winner 1

Guest Maj Millard

The Eurofox appears to have a larger cabin, and is an impressive machine allround. Landing gear also looks very rugged...............Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I'm wondering why you have discounted a jab 230. Seem to fit most of yourrequirements

RAAus registerable

You can get an RAAus pilot certificate easier than ppl and your medical issues will be less

600 kg max weight

Cabin is big enough for most bigger guys

Tricycle gear so you don't need a tail dragger endorsement

You can build it yourself and get to do ongoing maintenance (I think) I'm not really as sure of RAAus rules as I am with experimental)

Only negative I see is the trailerable capacity. I don't know how significant that requirement is for you.

Sorry. Tried to just edit my previous post but can't for some reason.

Take the following as what I wanted to say.

I'm wondering why you have discounted a jab 230. Seems to fit most of your requirements.

I don't understand your comments about need for a tail dragger endorsement. Do you mean you have a requirement (or want) for a tail dragger aircraft, or just that the aircraft you looked at is a tail dragger and thus would need an endorsement ( and you would not get one otherwise)?

Assuming the former:

The Jab 230 is:

RAAus registerable

RAAus pilot certificate easier & cheaper than PPL & medical issues will be less a problem

600 kg max weight ( but between you and me we know they fly safely to 700 kg cos that's the weight a GA registered version is legally registered for (exact same airframe)

Cabin is big enough for most bigger guys and lots of cargo room in back.

Tricycle gear so you don't need a tail dragger endorsement

You can build it yourself and get to do ongoing maintenance (I think) I'm not really as sure of RAAus rules as I am with experimental)

Only negatives I see are:

Your stated want for trailerable capacity. I don't know how significant that requirement is for you.

Metalman, are the Kitfox/ Gazelle/ Eurofox of similar dimensions inside? I know the Kitfox and Gazelle are.

Well, I have a Skyfox/Kitfox type and spent heaps of time in the above eurofox , and I happen to be about the same dimensions as you ,120kg 6'3, the eurofox is a lot more comfy than my plane ,and faster, and nicer panel,,,,and nicer wheels,,,and can land slower,,,,I should buy one I think! But as I said ,time in the eurofox put me in good stead to do the initial test flying in my plane , as DP says the super decathalon with the metal spars will do the weight ,but, if you need to skill up in something tricky the foxes will get you there.

The eurofox will carry you ,a FI and the fuel needed, 580kg max and around 310kg empty , and you'll have a ball in it ,they really are a top little plane!

Matty

The eurofox at Lilydale is 580 mtow, might be an option, and it's squirrelly enough to teach you well, the citabrias are a great plane but not many other taildraggers are as nicely mannered.[ATTACH=full]23852[/ATTACH]

Nice picture too, MM!

This might or might not be useful given some of your statments about what you want, but i will toss it on the table anyway.

The biggest RAA plane i have seen is the sling at Heck Field, its huge. $97 k for an almost new plane 19 rego. The Jabs are also very roomy....

The other one is GA but cheap for an amazing plane for the price. The Liberty , there are about 4 of them for sale around $70 to $80 and they have a huge cabin as well.

I have sat in a Eurofox on many occasions and its prob big enough, but not as big as the three above.

• Informative 1

Matt, sort of, there have been a fair few changes in the aviation world since the mid- 90's when I did the majority of my GA. So I'm happy with any words that add to the picture.

Dave I, I haven't purchased it yet, I'm in the process of due dilligence and hopefully taking a second look in the next couple of weeks.

I would have the folding wing version in an instant. Alas, that's my retirement you're talking about! Love the tyres, one less thing to transport to the beach.........009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Which club/ school is at Lilydale? Any others with Efoxes?

Cheers

Kevin

See if you fit in a Skyranger. Pretty roomy from memory. They have a T/W option.

Another tack is see if you can get a dispensation to do an endorsement in a GA registered T/W plane. You can't fly your chosen plane dual anyhow and the endorsement is carried over to RAA.. Nev

• Like 1

See if you fit in a Skyranger. Pretty roomy from memory. They have a T/W option.Another tack is see if you can get a dispensation to do an endorsement in a GA registered T/W plane. You can't fly your chosen plane dual anyhow and the endorsement is carried over to RAA.. Nev

Yeh I was wondering if it would work, I did a GA tailwheel and it automatically transferred to RAA , I wonder if you did the endorsement in a VH plane but didn't have a PPL would it still count

Matty

A GFPT will translate to a RPL in another month or so and your GA TW experience would be entered as an endorsement on it. This would then be transferable to your RAA certificate as best as I can see.

Kaz

I have flown a Gazelle and a Eurofox. The Gazelle feels like a 3/4 scale model of the Eurofox. You should fit OK in a Eurofox, but I can't remember the weights.dodo

I am a similar height to Big Kev; my head and knees are hard up against steel in a Gazelle, but I fit easily into even the smallest Jabiru. There are Jab taildraggers about.

Frank the medical might be the thing to get around but I can't see anything as insurmountable.( In the right circumstances).

OK, I don't think Jabiru are making any more T/W Jabs. Fly one and get back to me.Nev

I tried to get into the small Jab for sale down at Moruya. That was, ummmmm, interesting.........

I'm trying to get in touch with Eddie at Tocumwal atm, if I go to Albury and Cobram I'll head over and try his Ef on.

• Like 1

Nev That suggestion shouldn't be a problem in so far as my tail wheel endorsement came straight across from my GA licence, all be it HP, LP might pose a problem?

Hi Frank,

From the meeting at Temora it was my understanding that LP/HP endorsements were being removed (along with HF and Nosewheel) , so shouldn't be an issue any more.....

Cheers

Neil