Bad Experience with Jabiru

deadstick

Why buy a 230 when you can rent them easy enough?

Because I would like to go away for a weekend without having to worry about getting the plane back or booking too far ahead to get 3-4 consecutive days. I also like the idea of knowing the planes history :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard
confuscious say 'knowing the history of something does not gaurantee what the future will be'........................ could be helpful but

indeed, however if you can see that something has a least recieved regular and proper maintenance, you then have half a chance Vs no maintenance history, which puts you in mystery land.......................Maj....023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

confuscious say 'knowing the history of something does not gaurantee what the future will be'........................ could be helpful but

The present is a result of the past. Bad things that happened to a plane in the past will result in its present state.

The beaut thing about Jabirus is you can have all the fun of flying one without the pain of owning them.

Quite right, I don't know if I want to own one yet however, I do want to own something 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Guest Maj Millard

When you buy an aircraft either used or new, you are really buying the engine first, that's the important bit that keeps you in the air ultimately ....................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

There is rotax powered jabiru here at YCAB it goes very well all but it is quite nose heavy. There needs to be other mods done to the aircraft to help that along to do a proper re-engine for the aircraft. Evn though it lands faster the people who fly it like it.

The other mod required is to move the battery down the back and all the nose-heavy thing goes away. It wasn't too hard to do here in the NZ regulatory structure, but in the Oz version it would be quite a bit harder.

We have just finished the test flying.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
The other mod required is to move the battery down the back and all the nose-heavy thing goes away. It wasn't too hard to do here in the NZ regulatory structure, but in the Oz version it would be quite a bit harder.We have just finished the test flying.

Bit like putting an IO 320 into a C152.....battery had to be moved from the firewall to down in the tail........So Ian ...have you fitted a 912 to your Jab, if so, lots of interest here on how it is going...........Cheers....Maj........014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

When you buy an aircraft either used or new, you are really buying the engine first, that's the important bit that keeps you in the air ultimately ....................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have to disagree there Maj, on the grounds that I would rather have the engine stop than the wings fall off any day fall.gif.71a3a1a6c885cc86d269faaf01fe4bf3.gif

• Agree 7

The other mod required is to move the battery down the back and all the nose-heavy thing goes away. It wasn't too hard to do here in the NZ regulatory structure, but in the Oz version it would be quite a bit harder.We have just finished the test flying.

Hi Ian,

could you provide details please? photo's would be much appreciated I am considering this route very seriously.

Hi Ian,could you provide details please? photo's would be much appreciated I am considering this route very seriously.

Hi DS are your aircraft factory built? ie LSA? If so I don't think you will be able to change them unless they can be put into experimental category (E24). I have a rotax powered j400 what a great machine! Very happy with it! Tom

The 230 is a factory built D model which makes it an LSA with Jabiru as the engineering authority.

The 160 is a factory built C model which means CASA are the engineering authority for modifications or changes.

As I understand it

The 230 is a factory built D model which makes it an LSA with Jabiru as the engineering authority.The 160 is a factory built C model which means CASA are the engineering authority for modifications or changes.

As I understand it

Ok it seems the j160 may be changed by having reg 35 engineer( don't remember their current title) do the engineering approval for the change however you may be limited to the certified 80 hp rotax (anyone know if they have a 100hp fully certified ?). Not sure if putting j230 into E24 rego the change can be done or not certainly not useable for training if that is its current role. Tom

As with all engines if you overheat them you do damage the higher the temp the more damage the overheating problems need to be addressed in some cases a lip at the bottom of the engine cowl may be the answer but don't keep flying it and ignoring high temps valve seats are fitted by heating the head they can come out the same way

ob is spot on. My experience has been that part of the fix is to get the air out of the cowl, and a good lip along the bottom makes that work well. Then from new I always climbed out at 100 knots after getting the flaps away. 100 knot climb always kept them cool. I had 6 head temp probes on mine and it always ran nice and cool, such that there was never a sign of oil on the underside of the heads, nor did they ever need torqueing up when checked. Yet AndyS has treated his well too and has had the thru-bolt issue on his 3300.

Having said that, where there is smoke there is fire (and even a forced landing or two) and there is certainly an issue lurking if you don't treat them right ......... although I have been told of schools that have numerous engines go to 1000 hours, even with students climbing our slowly time after circuit after time, and without issues on 2200's. So why is or was that?

I've also kept a close watch for reports in the crash comic on VH registered 3300 engines having troubles and there were bugger all while I was looking. Why aren't these issues showing up there in the VH fleet and forcing the regulator to act if needed?

There is a 200/400/230 type airframe at Tumut with a 914 in it and the owner reported great performance. Oooops ........ sorry P-smacker, that's you isn't it?

Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff

• Agree 1

Well, that pearl of wisdom will come as a shock to glider pilots.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 2

Ok it seems the j160 may be changed by having reg 35 engineer( don't remember their current title) do the engineering approval for the change however you may be limited to the certified 80 hp rotax (anyone know if they have a 100hp fully certified ?). Not sure if putting j230 into E24 rego the change can be done or not certainly not useable for training if that is its current role. Tom

I believe the Jab at YCAB with the rotax is a 100hp

• Informative 1

It frustrates me that fellow pilots get stung with these ridiculous costs and the inherent danger ...... Sure some do it by choice but many fimd out too late, after they purchase.

I really cant see much changing till some people on the bad end of the stick actually take action. Since RAA and CASA seem to be ignoring it the ACCC or your dept of fair trading may well pursue it, especially for low hour failures.

When we where at heck field a few months ago we spoke with a rural owner of a sting. He has many friends with jabs. They had a bit of warm weather (not hot ) and from his mates, 3 jabs had complete engine failures in flight in one week. I dont know this guys name, but im sure someone in here does. It was a sting with fancy spray painted artwork on it.

It will take someone like deadstick to start chasing these up and document the dates and details before anyone will be compelled to act. Hearsay is not going to do it. And a limited number of well documented cases wont do it either. Im sure if someone goes to casa or raa with a list of 30 or more premature failures, they would be forced to recognise a "trend".

Given theres been two in the news already this year and several last year i wouldnt think it would take long.

• Caution 1

What organisation is it with? I wouldn't mind talking to them about it especially the legals of how it was achieved. Tom

There has been other stuff before on this, the 160c is not an LSA but certified by CASA as already said so what is required is an STC which already exists as was done for this one, this one was from Warnervale I believe and converted at Cessnock by a well known L2. An LSA aircraft would need approval from manufacturer for any modifications.

• Agree 1

There has been other stuff before on this, the 160c is not an LSA but certified by CASA as already said so what is required is an STC which already exists as was done for this one, this one was from Warnervale I believe and converted at Cessnock by a well known L2. An LSA aircraft would need approval from manufacturer for any modifications.

Nope, it was not an STC. An Engineering Order from a CAR35 which only applies to the specific aircraft it was done for. The plan was to get to an STC .

Nope, it was not an STC. An Engineering Order from a CAR35 which only applies to the specific aircraft it was done for. The plan was to get to an STC .

I was referring to one at Y CAB obviously that is how the STC comes about from the way you have done it, an STC would be the cheaper way to go.

I was referring to one at Y CAB obviously that is how the STC comes about from the way you have done it, an STC would be the cheaper way to go.

There is an STC for putting an 80 into a much older Jab. Done by Tony Grills. The one at YCAB was modified with an EO. There is no STC for a 160 Rotaru.

• Like 1

What organisation is it with? I wouldn't mind talking to them about it especially the legals of how it was achieved. Tom

Caboolture Recreational Avialtion use it. They bought it in a syndicate to replace a skyfox that crashed. It was done down south and under CAR 35 I believe