I bought a Jeep!

bexrbetter

The first 2 posts from this thread at some Jeep Forum ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/96-jeep-cherokee-need-opinions-1149721/

Post #1 ..

'96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions

So, my boyfriend bought a '96 Cherokee (XJ) SE, for way too much, like around $3,000. It broke down and he has put another $2,500 in it and totally rebuilt the engine and did a lot of after market work on it. He has and will do all the labor himself, he refuses to pay for labor. Now, he finds out that the motor needs to be taken back out and fixed again and is looking at another $700. I said he should just sell it and wipe his hands clean, he says he won't make enough.

Firstly, what is your guys' opinion on what he should do? Secondly, how much do you think he could make parting it versus just the whole car as is?

Thanks for your guys' opinions!

Post #2 in reply ....

You want my opinion? Ok…

Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering, “How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants. (But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend. (Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 2

They are a bit of a hit or miss. I have know of 2 people, (friends) who have had nothing but problems with their Jeeps, both brand new and both Cherokees .This was about 6 years ago. Then I know other people who have never had problems with them. Kind of like Jabiru engines I guess.

• Haha 1

I bought a Jeep for $1000 two years ago. 1995 Cherokee Sport with 297000 kM on the clock. Drained and replaced all fluids, oil and filters and it has been my transport from the water taxi to Dunwich Airstrip ever since. Everything works radio, air conditioning and even the warning light when the washer water is low.

Jeep1.jpg.cfc2eb15c364f6aa64b72b8ed413fa9b.jpg

• Like 2

Reminds me of that other one ...

Dear John,

The other day I set off for work leaving my husband watching the TV in the house . When I started the car it stalled and then it broke down a mile down the road. I walked back home to get my husband to help me but I couldn't believe my eyes, he was in bed with the neighbor's daughter who is 19 years old!!! We've been together for 10 years and he admitted he's been having an affair with her for 5 months .He's refusing to go to counselling .What should I do ?

Sally.

Dear Sally,

Cars breaking down just a mile from home is 9 times out of 10 due to the choke sticking on, this is a minor problem usually and most local mechanics will be able to assist you with it.

John.

• Like 2

Careful, FT will be adding " Redneck" to the list soon".....

I'm just misunderstood is all!!

You or your wife?

of course ME,,,,,if answered that any other way I'd be joining the fox in the hangar :-)

Matty

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Careful, FT will be adding " Redneck" to the list soon".....

C'mon mick you know the rednecks all buy ex-mine fj70s, if he took that thing out to Thargomindah every would be commenting on metalman's purty mouth

I've always loved Jeep, had mine (2005 KJ) for 5 years now and never had any issues, respectable 4wd capability as well. I just feel they've lost their soul a bit with their latest offering of 2wd (wtf?) models compass, patriot etc. I guess they are after that market of metro yuppies and soccer moms to keep the company profitable.

We also have a Willys Jeep CJ2a 1942 i think ( now that's a real jeep ;) in the family, just need the time and $$ to give it some love.

• Like 1

Long time since I drove a jeep and it was a flat head 4 cylinder with a 3 speed boc. didn't complain when i went down the gears and hit rev, thinking it was first. of course that was a real Jeep, either a Ford or a Willys. Funny you seldom see them in the bush, but about the same as Rangerovers.

C'mon mick you know the rednecks all buy ex-mine fj70s, if he took that thing out to Thargomindah every would be commenting on metalman's purty mouth

I was talking about the desire for big wheels.....

The Jeep Renegade is a well known Gay Icon!!!!???

Ironically the Renegade is the first vehicle I remember going bush bashing in as a passenger when I was a little kid. My Mum sold em too back in the days of "Wood ducks" ...

I could swear back then they had a V8 and a handle in the glove box to lock the diff...

These days they don't seem so tough.

I've had a couple of dozen 4x4's over the years and have always liked jeeps, I've had mine for about three years without dramas, although I have a company vehicle so it doesn't get much use lately. I'd have a ww2 willys in a second ,almost like ford hot rods ,you can nearly build an entire vehicle without buying an original part, very cool old jiggers!

Matty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1