Places to Buy Headsets in SE QLD?

Hey everyone,

I've been in training since July of last year, and I think it's time I invested in my own aviation headset. With my budget I am only interested in a PNR one, and I'm pretty interested in trying it on before I buy it (to make sure its comfortable). So do you guys know of any stores in SE QLD which sell aviation headsets?

On that note, do you guys reckon its worth trying headsets on before committing to their purchase? Or in your opinion are they built to fit everyone comfortably?

Cheers.

• Helpful 1

I have a Dave Clarke head set for sale its on eBay. the reason for sell is I have big ears. And had to change to one with bigger cups.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281256219560?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Just looked at the advertisement, what is the H10-12? I've heard of the H10-13.14..

There is a pilot supplies store at Archerfield. They sell headsets, and you can try some for fit there. They are very good people to deal with too. They also do a mail order service and the stuff is sent out PRONTO. There is also an aircraft radio store at Archerfield and they may sell headsets as well. Worth dropping in if you go out there.

• Like 1

There are also our own Recreational Flying headsets with over 1,000 of them sold...plenty of users here on Recreational Flying have them so they would probably vouch for them...just have a look in the shop on the site menu

• Agree 1

May I suggest Archerfield Aircraft Radio, they have been great with setting up and selling us Garmin transponders for our Savannah's, very supportive and great service.

Speak to Kevin, workshop manager/Avionics Sales on 32774500 or check the gear out at building 21 Archerfield Airport.

A mate just bought a Bose headset, top of the tree headset, but I am very happy with my old but very good David Clark headset.

Let me know how you get on, you should only have to buy one in your flying career.

Graham.

• Like 1

There is a pilot supplies store at Archerfield. They sell headsets, and you can try some for fit there. They are very good people to deal with too. They also do a mail order service and the stuff is sent out PRONTO. There is also an aircraft radio store at Archerfield and they may sell headsets as well. Worth dropping in if you go out there.

I forgot to mention that I bought my GPS, VHF radio, my PLB and all the wire and the battery for my Nynja from Aircraft Radio at Archerfield. Great people to deal with and reasonable prices...

• Like 1

There are also our own Recreational Flying headsets with over 1,000 of them sold...plenty of users here on Recreational Flying have them so they would probably vouch for them...just have a look in the shop on the site menu

well people, will you vouch for these? How comfortable are they? How good is the ANR?

it says:"Excellent noise reduction rating of 26dB"

am I mistaken in assuming that refers to ANR?

That is Passive Noise Reduction found in most sub $500 headsets. ANR stands for Active Noise Reduction and is found in greater than $500 headsets and traditionally uses a battery that powers a filter to remove noise

Yes, You can justify spending a thousand dollars..!,!..you get no second chance with your hearing"""!!!! Don't be thinking of anr without good passive rating as well...batteries failing is very ver likely with anr. If you have to go within half a metre of someone to shout to be heard you are in a situation of it being well over the 85db limit and your hearing is likely being damaged. ..so basically that means just about every aviation situation is putting your hearing at risk. Investigate anr a bit too..dr google has lots of info. The jury is still out on whether anr is a good thing or not.

I've been doing some research, but for now I've decided to hold back on buying a headset.

From what I've seen though, it seems that some manufacturers are installing ANR as a marketing gimmick (i.e. it's very poor quality ANR), so a PNR headset from a reputable manufacturer will be a lot more reliable on a low budget (think a Seinnheiser PNR headset, like this one http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/headsets_antpass_senn/senns1p.php).

OK, so the ANR will help preserve my hearing, which is a good thing. I'll spend $500-$1000 to do that. But what do people think about Bose vs Sennheiser vs Lightspeed, not to mention Pilot Avionics and Flightcom classic, which are both <$500 and claim to have similar ANR the expensive units?