Landing fees at Gnowangerup Airfield, WA

Anyone who would like to land a light aircraft at YGNW (Gnowangerup), think again. It will cost you $60 for the pleasure to land at an airstrip in the middle of no where with no facilities.

Although no fees are published in ERSA nor the WA Country Airstrip guide, I was expecting something in the order of $10-20 to be reasonable in comparison to similar places across the country.

I landed my gyro (MTOW 550kgs) there few months ago and was greeted by a friendly council shire operator who sent me the bill of $60. I think this is a bit rude & seems they don't want anyone to land there so I won't be, beware fellow aviators.

• Informative 3

I just looked up there Council website and downloaded there fees pdf.

$20 landing fee

+$40 for less than 5700kg

+$150 for 5800 -8000kg

+$500 for 8100- 15000kg

another aviation friendly town it seems.

cheers for the heads up.

Anyone who would like to land a light aircraft at YGNW (Gnowangerup), think again. seems they don't want anyone to land there so I won't be, beware fellow aviators.

:faint:Here's a clue................(G) now anger up exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif fall.gif.71a3a1a6c885cc86d269faaf01fe4bf3.gif

• Haha 4

Didn't you have a low oil light glowing, vibration, high temps.....whatever.

They would have bucklies getting fees for that scinareo.

• Like 1

I just looked up there Council website and downloaded there fees pdf.$20 landing fee

What do you get for the $20 .... or is that some administration charge ?

Bob

I see the AOPA guide warns that the fee is $80. I just wrote to the Council asking why they were so vehemently against aviation-based tourism and business coming to their area.

There website also tells us that they propose no capital works on the airfield (gravel) in the next two years and will spend just $26.5k on maintenance.

They can pass by-laws to allow them to charge the fees but they can't apply owner onus to them in my view. This would make it rather difficult for them to prove the identity of a particular pilot.

They may try to argue that there is an implied contract a la private car parks but, unlike the car driver who can read the sign setting out the contract terms before entering, a pilot would be hard pressed to read a sign on the airfield before alighting.

I guess it comes down to how much effort council and pilot will each be prepared to expend in fighting a landing charge in the courts?

Kaz

• Informative 2

I can't find anything on the council website or in their local laws...anyone able to locate a council reference to the airfield fees?Kaz

Found it! Brett has the latest figures. At $60 they are still ridiculous and would drive anyone away.

Kaz

I am reliably informed by girlwithastick that The Lily (www.thelily.com.au) has an airstrip and convivial owners who will make you welcome if you are flying around (or even driving) in the Gnowangerup area.

Yes, Pleun at the Lily is very aviation minded - has a J160 of his own. Place has 2 strips - approx. 09/27 and 14/32. But...... it's quite a way from Gnowangerup (40kms?), so you'd hardly land at the Lily to go into Gnowangerup. Great views, accommodation and friendly! Gnowangerup has a history of feuding with one notable bit of warfare seeing their hospital rendered nearly inoperable. Despite living not far down the road from them - we've no idea what's the reasoning.....if any! The neighbouring Shire of Katanning is quite aviation minded as is Wagin, (further N again). There is another strip even closer to the Stirling Range at the Bluff Knoll Caravan Park - about 4nm S of the Lily but it's serviceability needs to be checked. There is a farm strip which I used to use, which is only 2nm off the SE end of the new Gnowangerup airport, but it can become quite soft after winter rains so I won't recommend it here.

In the past, some idiot GA pilots have angered Shire airport owners by their ignorant habit of switching on the lights at night as they flypast. Just to see if they could! Brilliant! The RFDS has in the past threatened to not service airstrips where this sort of behaviour has been observed - and I don't blame them! We'll make some enquiries from the Albany end and I'll post back here when we've a few answers. In the meantime - avoid YGNW !! happy days,

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

A Big THANKYOU to everyone for your comments and advice here!

it's really nice to know these alternatives now - your local knowledge really does help as many of these places are not listed in country aerodrome guide nor ERSA.

Cheers and tailwinds to you all!

Andrew

Yes, Pleun at the Lily is very aviation minded - has a J160 of his own. Place has 2 strips - approx. 09/27 and 14/32. But...... it's quite a way from Gnowangerup (40kms?), so you'd hardly land at the Lily to go into Gnowangerup. Great views, accommodation and friendly! Gnowangerup has a history of feuding with one notable bit of warfare seeing their hospital rendered nearly inoperable. Despite living not far down the road from them - we've no idea what's the reasoning.....if any! The neighbouring Shire of Katanning is quite aviation minded as is Wagin, (further N again). There is another strip even closer to the Stirling Range at the Bluff Knoll Caravan Park - about 4nm S of the Lily but it's serviceability needs to be checked. There is a farm strip which I used to use, which is only 2nm off the SE end of the new Gnowangerup airport, but it can become quite soft after winter rains so I won't recommend it here.In the past, some idiot GA pilots have angered Shire airport owners by their ignorant habit of switching on the lights at night as they flypast. Just to see if they could! Brilliant! The RFDS has in the past threatened to not service airstrips where this sort of behaviour has been observed - and I don't blame them! We'll make some enquiries from the Albany end and I'll post back here when we've a few answers. In the meantime - avoid YGNW !! happy days,

Thanks Poteroo! I just checked out their website & looks like an awesome place. I can't wait to the day of making contact and flying in.

Cheers

Andrew

a pilot would be hard pressed to read a sign on the airfield before alighting.

Doesn't that sign say "If you want to land on this patch of grass you need to pay".

No, hang on, I remember where I saw that one ....

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I have some fantastic news, the landing fees at Gnowangerup Airfield are now $10 and not $60.

The Gnowangerup Shire sent me an email last week (below FYI), informing me they have researched & concluded their landing fees were too high and have posted me a cheque for $50 to refund the difference (making the landing fee $10).

I am impressed this council went to the effort promptly and showed the willingness to do the right thing by the aviation community.

Please pass this news amongst the West Coast Sports Aviators. The Landing fees at Gnowangerup are now $10 for light aircraft.

Regards,

Hi Andrew

We are currently in the process of reviewing our fees and charges and it has come to our attention that the Shire of Gnowangerup Landing Fees for the year 13/14 were high.

We have been notified that other shires/councils or landing strips charge an average of $10 and so we will be posting you a cheque in the mail for $50 to reimburse you for the difference.

I am requesting your postal address.

If you can please contact me with them details as soon as practical that would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Shenai Posa | Customer Services Officer

28 Yougenup Rd, Gnowangerup WA 6335 | Shire of Gnowangerup

• Like 4
  • Caution 1