Bowden Cable Bulkhead nuts bulletin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOSEGo clockwise around the compass.

North Odds South Evens. Plus 500.

Yeah that's what I have always used. All this easty leasty westy righty besty tighty confuses the crap out of me.

• Haha 2

As a LAME I second the 'Right tighty' comment. These type of simple reminders are in common use in our industry, including this one. This one is used to assist in determining the direction a lock wire should be applied, especially when the bolt to be secured is mounted upside down or around a corner. It is in no way trying to be condescending or treat people like children, but rather recognise the human factors involved and the very real possibility of a mistake being made in these circumstances. Anything that helps reduce these common errors is good and should be embraced.

Well done Darren (and RAAus) on getting this info out so quickly following such a sad accident.

• Like 6
  • Winner 1

Most know how to turn a water tap on and off but mount it upside down and watch.

My CDMVT, relates to the magnetic compass. Compass (deviation) Magnetic (variation) True.

Can Dead Men Vote Twice? Nev

It has always been the policy of RAA and its various OPs and Tech Managers to publish information about safety issues that could cause a repeat of a fatality. They do that rather than wait the two years for the Coroner to get around to considering the accident.

In this case, Darren has acted very quickly indeed and it is easier for us to guess that there is a link from the accident to the AD/AN especially when he says "Recent investigations have identified potential areas of concern relating to the integrity of primary flight controls". But, wisely, he doesn't refer to a particular accident before the full investigation has been finalised.

So, perhaps we should also be a little circumspect in referencing, publicly, a particular accident?

• Agree 2

.....So, perhaps we should also be a little circumspect in referencing, publicly, a particular accident?

Provided the kit manufactuer and all current owners and current kit builders of the type have been notified DIRECTLY.

David,

I saw an email that a certain kit provider sent out and although I of course couldn't see who else got a copy, it is not unreasonable to presume all his customers for whom he had a current email address were on the list.

In all probability your test has been passed.

• Agree 2

Provided the kit manufactuer and all current owners and current kit builders of the type have been notified DIRECTLY.

To achieve that RAA would need to be aware who is building a particular kit, which I am sure they are not. Although I am sure it wasn't the intention of you suggestion, making that suggestion in the wrong quarter could easily lead to an approval process to build a kit, which would of course need an application fee, and bloat our organisation just a little bit more.

It is about magenertic variation not cruise altitudes isn't is?

Yes, for me, but I wouldn't want to appear to be telling someone not to use any memory aide that they use - after all it it only about assisting memory and if it works for them then all well and good.

Better then hearing aircraft flying at non hemispherical levels esp >5000'. (Or worse seeing them up close cruising happily along listening on 126.7 only)

• Agree 1

Frank when I say least in reference to cruising levels what I think in my head is 1500' is the lowest (least) height I would cruise at. So now I know that's an odd number so every other odd number going up will be in the same direction - works for me :)

• Agree 1

I thought you're not obliged to fly hemispheres until above 5,000 ft. I do fly hemis all the time above 5,000 and most of the time below 5,000 but below 5,000 it is just an advisory?

• Agree 1

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 173

Cruising level to be appropriate to magnetic track

(1) When a V.F.R. flight is conducted at a height of 5,000 feet or more above mean sea level, the pilot in command must, subject to any contrary air traffic control instructions, ensure that the cruising level of the aircraft is appropriate to its magnetic track.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(2) When a V.F.R. flight is conducted at a height less than 5,000 feet above mean sea level, the pilot in command must, subject to any contrary air traffic control instructions, ensure that the cruising level of the aircraft is, whenever practicable, appropriate to its magnetic track.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

Getting a bit off original subject but the difference between above and below 5000' is the inclusion of the words "whenever practicable".

• Like 3
  • Informative 1