Bowden Cable Bulkhead nuts bulletin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly technical publication, quote "righty tighty, lefty loosely", can't wait to see the course notes for the aircraft maintainers course!

You'll probably remember this for ever now! That's probably the point.

Laurie

Sorry but I believe if someone doesn't know which way a thread works they probably shouldn't be building an aircraft. Not without help anyway.

It is surprising easy to lockwire fasteners back to front, especially if you are doing it upside down or in a restricted access area. Pays to double check your work. Also, I have met a few civvie maintainers that feel that a lockwire in any direction,as long as it has wire on it, acceptable, the direction of the wire is also important.

• Agree 3

You'll probably remember this for ever now! That's probably the point.Laurie

I have been doing up nuts and bolts since I was three, even left hand threaded ones at times, I am pretty sure I will take this knowledge to the grave!

Guest Maj Millard
Highly technical publication, quote "righty tighty, lefty loosely", can't wait to see the course notes for the aircraft maintainers course!

Hey can't please you guys can we......we've actually got the cause of an RAA fatal accident within two weeks of it happening...that's huge progress ..can't you just say THANK YOU !!!! Well done Daren and team !..........Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Hey can't please you guys can we......we've actually got the cause of an RAA fatal accident within two weeks of it happening...that's huge progress ..can't you just say THANK YOU !!!! Well done Daren and team !..........Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I thought I was in a flying forum but these fellas sound like a bunch of farmers......... "I wish it would rain I'm sick of this drought".......... "Bloody rain could've held off for another day and I would've had that tank cleaned out"..............."that'd be right got rain on that block but not where I needed it"059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Helpful 1

That certainly sounds like good progress in this case and a step in the right direction, followed swiftly by an airworthiness directive as a result of the findings.

Making findings public as soon as they are found may hopefully help prevent a further incident with the same cause.

It's not possible to change what's gone on in the past, but the future is a different thing.

Well done Darren and your team, and thank you Ian for immediately bringing to everyones attention.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Thanks guys, that is a bloody great result and an excellent effort to promulgate the issues. Well done.

• Like 1

Thanks Darren and team. Any news of what was reported to have been seen falling off the aircraft?

An overactive imagination perhaps? From the recovery pictures all flying surfaces were there including the rudder which was initially reported as being missing.

1. The "righty tighty" may be used as a tag to brand the level of RAA maintenance skills for some time, and should have been edited out before the board members made their decision - and I hop they made the decision on this one.

2. It could also be seen as misleading, since designers use left hand threads for some applications, so it shouold be edited out of the version published on the RAA website

For both these reasons the comment should be edited out of the document posted on the RAA website, and it should be forgotten quickly.

However, Darren's fast release of this information is brilliant, giving everyone a timely chance for some deep thinking, and minimising the chance of another nut winding off. History has examples of unfortunate reoccurrences before corrective action was taken, including three successive fatalities on the one night on a defective corner in a raceway in the USA.

• Agree 4

While I also think the righty tighty needs to be taken out I think we can put up with that especially when we look at how quickly it has been brought out, I personally would rather put up with some questionable bits and receive the message in a timely fashion rather than getting the perfect message too late.

• Agree 3

Not aircraft related, but more than a couple of people have been caught out with some commercial vans having the front left hand wheel, having left hand threads. We had a Ford econovan work Van that had this. A few wheel studs had thread damage due to peeps trying to undo the nuts anti clockwise but they were actually tightening the nuts. Something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

about time some l2 l3 got it in the neck what have I been saying for the last 5 years expect more of off this

keep it up daran but I feel that there has to be penalties for down right abuse off our rules

example what about training air craft with leeking fuel tank neil

Guest Andys@coffs

As an avionics tradesman in the RAAF when I was under training the instructors had any number of sayings that were used to cement in your scone important info job related. At no time in my working life past graduation did I feel condescended to....... The RAAF also has a complex and to some, over the top, tool control system where you can only use tools from a provided tool kit, and only after you have put one of your tags against the tool, and cleared it on replacing the tool, the aircraft never flies until the board is completely cleared for that aircraft.

In many cases where you grabbed a single screwdriver you could argue that there is no way on earth you could forget the screwdriver and no way on earth it could result in a crashed aircraft.....but yet history shows time and time again that that outcome is exactly what happens when toolboard control is lost.

So, unless your at that stage of your life when its simply impossible to learn anymore (usual accompanied by a death certificate) then such simple sayings are on balance worth it.

How many of you learnt the difference between port and starboard and the associated colours with a saying? I did "There is no more red port left"

The fact that Darren is telling us that control cable outer shield anchoring nuts are an issue is because 2 people presumably died to bring us that message and for that reason I believe Darren is entitled to use tighty righty just as much as he wants in order to prevent us having to relearn from first principles all over again and again.....

Andy

P.S if Darren has 2 alternates, do this type of work, or rearrange the rearranged paperwork for the 20th time for your registration renewal Im very pleased that the 21st time will keep for now!

It is a very simple matter to edit a document that is live on the web. These should be 'controlled' documents in any case. Get the message out first ... then make any necessary edits as are seen fit.

Again great effort to get the notice out and again congrats to Darren.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
1. The "righty tighty" may be used as a tag to brand the level of RAA maintenance skills for some time, and should have been edited out before the board members made their decision - and I hop they made the decision on this one.2. It could also be seen as misleading, since designers use left hand threads for some applications, so it shouold be edited out of the version published on the RAA website

For both these reasons the comment should be edited out of the document posted on the RAA website, and it should be forgotten quickly.

However, Darren's fast release of this information is brilliant, giving everyone a timely chance for some deep thinking, and minimising the chance of another nut winding off. History has examples of unfortunate reoccurrences before corrective action was taken, including three successive fatalities on the one night on a defective corner in a raceway in the USA.

Turbo, It was not necessary for the board to have any input to the release of the alert warning.. In fact we are Required not to interfere with the day to day workings with people like the tech manager. For you to suggest so shows your lack of understanding of the boards role. In fact this is a great example of that 'hands off' approach at work. The boards role is to oversee, and to only step in if absolutely necessary , and then only throught the CEO or the excutive......hats off to Darren and his team for their rapid and efficient results here....Maj....

I've read the Constitution Maj and that's why I asked, with two people dead this is hardly "day to day" business, and in fact never is, and should receive serious consideration by the people who run the organization. Decisions like this are only a matter of a broadcast email to 13 people, with quick responses, and that can avoid embarrassing mistakes, or decisions which totally change policy or go against the members interests.

Guest Maj Millard
Sorry Ross, I just have an aversion to being treated like a child, if it sits well with everyone else, then good for you all!

RankAmateur ,

Darren is, well...a little different, lets say he has his unique style, but he is technically superior and very much the right man for the RAAus at the moment.

I 've been in the industry myself most of my life and I can't say I have encountered the 'righty tightly, lefty loosely' either. However somebody may have taught Darren that somewhere in his training, bit like I was taught 'east is least , west is best' in respect to selecting VFR cruising attitudes when going cross country. I've never forgotten that and use it often.........Maj....

Guest Maj Millard

i

I've read the Constitution Maj and that's why I asked, with two people dead this is hardly "day to day" business, and in fact never is, and should receive serious consideration by the people who run the organization. Decisions like this are only a matter of a broadcast email to 13 people, with quick responses, and that can avoid embarrassing mistakes, or decisions which totally change policy or go against the members interests.

I don't see this as going against the members interests in any way Turbo, and I don't find it embarrassing in anyway either. The board is certainly aware of any double fatality, I fact we are amoung the first notified of such an event. Nor does it ever become mundane...or 'day to day' as you suggested. However for those who's job it is to deal directly with these matters like ops and tech, it is in fact 'day to day' as it is their job.

I Believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I'm sure most will agree those dealing with this particular incident have done a supurb job of providing a very valid safety warning for all members in very quick time, and I take my hat off to them for doing so as quick as they have.........Maj....

Guest Maj Millard

Yes

'east is least , west is best' in respect to selecting VFR cruising attitudesIs this correct Ross? It sounds more like magnetic variation to me?

Yes Frank for selecting cruising levels above 3000'.........0-179 degrees. 3,500, 5,500 7,500 etc. 180-360 degrees. 4,500, 6,500, 8500 etc.................