Yet another Jab down.....

Guest Maj Millard

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

Folks

Its not a done deal!!!! It says draft in the heading and I presume it says that for a reason.......Hopefully sane heads can work a way forward. Happy Flyer how did you find that? Was there any context besides the file itself?

Maybe the "draft" document represents the CASA Stick...hopefully there is a carrot involved as well and if involved its purpose is gently coaxing and not some other unmentionable use!

Andy

There is a way out of this situation, but it will require the co-operative combination of CASA, Jabiru and CAMit and the testing and certification work of number of key people.

In the meantime - and particularly in the absence of that combination acting with a will and determination to achieve a satisfactory outcome - Jabiru owners, operators, FTFs that rely on Jabiru aircraft for their operation, students undergoing learning on Jabirus, potentially have the ground ripped from under their feet. Some people will no doubt profit from that, at the expense of a great many others.

There should have been a pathway for those mods to be approved long ago. The question still arises does it cover ALL jabiru motors irrespective of the aircraft they are installed in, and regardless of whether they are modded Like Liquid Cooled Heads? How does it affect aircraft operating overseas? Nev

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs
There should have been a pathway for those mods to be approved long ago. The question still arises does it cover ALL jabiru motors irrespective of the aircraft they are installed in, and regardless of whether they are modded Like Liquid Cooled Heads? How does it affect aircraft operating overseas? Nev

Sounds remarkably like the devils in the detail.....reminds me a a year or so back when we were all being progressively grounded....devil was in that detail too!

Nev: there are two situations here.

The first is regarding Jabs that use certificated engines; these can be modified under an EO to the certification: testing to JAR 22H requirements is necessary for that. Jabs. registered VH, 55, or 24 "C" can be kept in the air by use of an EO issued by a Part 21M engineer - but that is a convoluted process due to the requirement by CASA that each EO be only issued to a specific aircraft. Dafydd Llewellyn can explain that far better than I could.

Then there is the question of Jabs. using engines certified by the manufacturer as meeting the ASTM standard (for which, read all 24-reg. Jabs not of the 'C' model). As far as I understand it, that requires the manufacturer to accept (and take liability for) any mods. Again, Dafydd Llewellyn can explain the intricacies of the situation where I have only a general understanding.

In either case, there WILL be testing to established standards required, be that JAR 22H or ASTM. In the former, 50 hours to a set schedule; in the latter probably 200 hours also to a set schedule. CAMit has a suitable facility pretty much ready to go with those tests at its disposal; I have no idea whether Rotec does. It probably needs to be noted that -as far as I am aware - the Rotec developments only go as far as a different head, whereas the CAMit developments address all the major issues in the Jabiru engine. Rotec heads are - I think - viable for use in 19-reg Jabs. as things stand.

• Helpful 1

Hope I'm wrong.....can see jab folding, and South Africa, and or America picking up the baton. Don't think either of them would be so " in denial " as the Bundy operation is.

For sure, then a local company would import the jabs ( dealer )

For sure.....Rotax would be an engine option from factory as well.

For sure......jab with Rotax......world beater, in my view

• Agree 2

Cry us a river, Merv.And then try to cadge a beer from the FTF's you have helped put out of business,the clubs that keep a Jab or two on the line for member use, the owners who need on the line income to afford their flying, the owners who bought their Jabs to fly with their partners around Australia.

Sounds like they all have a good case against the manufacturer now hey? I feel for them, they were sold a lie. Poor buggas.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

POST EDITED AS IT DOES NOT ADD VALUE - MOD

my opinion and whatever the case is going to cost me and other massive sums of money

This is a misguided effort to force action, never works.

CONSTANTLY saying they should have acted years ago, right or wrong, doesnt matter. Who says they are going to act now? A real possibility is to sell out to someone else leaving Aus owners carrying the can. MANY who are not suffering any problems at all today.

Simple financial descision, whats it going to cost to fix vs return.

Run the risk of sinking Camit too, id suggest a major part of thier business is new engines to Jabiru, doubt they could keep going if retrofits into experimentals is all they have in the future

Some vain hope they can take action against manufacturer will just speed up destruction

"THEY" is around 30+ % of RAA aircraft so this will deeply affected many in our small tight organisation, dont sound so proud.

• Agree 5
  • Caution 2