Pronouncing location names - awkward...

ayavner

Funny thing happened to me this weekend, was out west tracking towards Jindabyne and requested from Melb Ctr an updated area QNH. 'No problem' he says, 'what is your location?'.

'Standby', i says and looking... looking... 'I am about 20 nm to the south of.. umm... ' and realised that I had only ever seen Tumut written but had no idea how to pronounce it!!

anyway, i got through it (much to his amusement I think) and got the info I needed.

had i planned to go there, I'd have probably figured it out ahead of time!

(so how DO you pronounce Tumut??)

Love to hear similar funny stories, there are some colourful town names in our country!

• Agree 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chew mutt or chew mit.

The trouble is there can be several variations of QNH across an 'area' otherwise you would be spot on frank:thumb up:

We certainly do have some funny names and I've stuffed up more than once, gotta love when the locals just start laughing at you when you try to say their town name.

• Like 1

Chew mutt or chew mit.The trouble is there can be several variations of QNH across an 'area' otherwise you would be spot on frank:thumb up:

We certainly do have some funny names and I've stuffed up more than once, gotta love when the locals just start laughing at you when you try to say their town name.

SDQDI

If area QNH is not an area QNH, what is it? Not talking aerodrome QNH.

• Agree 1

Chew mutt or chew mit.The trouble is there can be several variations of QNH across an 'area' otherwise you would be spot on frank:thumb up:

Correct, and in fact he did say that QNH was 1010 north of xxxxx and 1015 south of xxxx, so got what I needed, but yes i think he was amused.

SDQDIIf area QNH is not an area QNH, what is it? Not talking aerodrome QNH.

PREPARED FOR: AYAVNER

VALID FROM 2201 UTC NOV 23, 2014 TO 2201 UTC NOV 24, 2014

WEATHER INFORMATION

-------------------

AREA21 (21)

AREA QNH 22/01

AREA 21: SE OF YBOM/YBAO/36S152E 1010,

REST 1014

Like the time I visited Lake Cathie. Thought the pronunciation looked straight forward on that one. Nope, stuck out like the tourist that I was.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Yep that is the area QNH, contains a subdivision, but still area 21.But hey, whatever you're happy with, just a shorter route if you choose to use it.

yes all good, i'll most likely do exactly that next time I am in the situation - thanks for the tip!

Would have only been 120 ft difference on the Alt anyway, so no biggie either way, Tumit have an ATIS?

Can be funny listening to people pronounce names. You can normally tell a low time pilot, and also where he trained because regardless of where he's at, he will call his home airfield traffic..lol..

Would have only been 120 ft difference on the Alt anyway, so no biggie either way, Tumit have an ATIS?Can be funny listening to people pronounce names. You can normally tell a low time pilot, and also where he trained because regardless of where he's at, he will call his home airfield traffic..lol..

hahah even better, it took me awhile to stop saying "jabiru 7295" when in the piper or cessna.

Just wanted to make sure I was accurate just there - i was tracking west at 8500' and the class C nearby was 8500' so was making sure to keep a bit below that... my other option was 6500, but it was very choppy down there. No ATIS at Tumut.

I did go over (well about 10 miles west) Jasper Brush, heard an Archer leaving for Bankstown, was that you Andy?

hahah even better, it took me awhile to stop saying "jabiru 7295" when in the piper or cessna.Just wanted to make sure I was accurate just there - i was tracking west at 8500' and the class C nearby was 8500' so was making sure to keep a bit below that... my other option was 6500, but it was very choppy down there. No ATIS at Tumut.

I did go over (well about 10 miles west) Jasper Brush, heard an Archer leaving for Bankstown, was that you Andy?

Oh yea, good call then. Dont wanna be busting the airspace out there.

No that wasnt me, it was one of our regulars that come down and visit family etc on the coast. Nice aeroplane :))

I had an interesting convo with the ATC once when I was ferrying a Bantam.

Asking for clearence through Coffs, :

Andy: "Coffs Tower g'day, Bantam 3383 15 north at 2500 for Port maq request airways bla bla"

Coffs: Aircraft calling say again aircraft type:

Andy " Bantam 3383, a Bantam"

Coffs: " ..................... aircraft numbers confirm thats a Phantom?"

Andy " Negative, 3383 is a BANTAM, Bravo, Alpha, November....."

Coffs" Bravo Alpha November, say aircraft type"

Andy." Callsign is BANTAM..3.3.8.3"

Coffs " 3383 standbye, Bravo Alpha November, Coffs tower?"

Andy" Coffs tower, this is BANTAM 3383. There is NO Bravo Alpha November.. I am a BANTAM, BRAVO, ALPHA, NOVEMBER, TANGO,ALPHA, MIKE......BANTAM"

COFFS..." OH..... Like the chicken??

Andy " (trying to contain laughter and compsure) Affirmative. Bantam 3383, like the chicken"

Coffs....Long pause........." But chickens cant fly....."

Andy......036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

haha i also heard while out there on Saturday a heavy requesting a ground speed check... i don't remember what it ended up being, but he said thanks and the ground guy said "yep... pret-ty fast...."

lots of good little moments like that from time to time, adds to the fun.

• Like 2

I like dealing with the CFS guys. They are good fun.

I am the worst at some of these place names. There is a place up near Kowanyama (or however it's spelt) that I can't pronounce. Glad I don't operate that sector anymore...

On a side note. Had a Qlink the other day request ND for Westcamp. Seems as though noone knows what to call brisbane west/wellcamp.

Cathie get them and so does Bulahdelah, Quirindi and. Hokatika . in NZ. Nev

We spent a day or so in Hokitika once. The tourist information said it was pronounced Hook Tikka, so we proudly used the word for the whole stay, then when leaving the town in the car heard the local radio station jock sau "And now the local news from Hokytikka."