Is this rumor True?

flying dog

It will be it's final resting place, because with skill it is able to land, but never take-off again with the runway distance available.

Should be a good additional tourist attraction for the area, along with the rest of the HARS collection.

About 30 years ago, the McDonald's franchisee in Midland, WA mounted a DC3 (I believe it came from SA) on a stand outside his slop shop and turned it into a specialty eating place/kiddie's playground. After some years it disappeared (apparently the shire council bitched enough about it). Lo & behold, twenty odd years later when flying into a private strip down the coast from Perth, I was happily surprised to see said DC3 on a concrete plinth in front of the fellow's home! Another local truck sales geezer made one complete Vampire out two with the same intent but the same shire offices shut him down before it 'got off the ground'. Never did find out what happened to either of the Vamps. History lost?? cheers

Back in the 70's, Chieftain Flying School used to be located in the south west corner of Bankstown Aerodrome where Hungry Jacks and Aldi are now located. They used to have an ex-RAN Sea Venom on a plynth outside near the corner. I flew with Chieftain during the five years I lived in Sydney.

They are usually very light on these occasions. An almost empty large jet operating on FULL power as distinct from derated, and power applied on brakes or a running roll on can get off the ground fairly quickly. Nev

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes
They are usually very light on these occasions. An almost empty large jet operating on FULL power as distinct from derated, and power applied on brakes or a running roll on can get off the ground fairly quickly. Nev

I reckon there must be a back up plan to get it out of YWOL if needed, the initial council approval/lease is only for 5 years, what happens at the end of that?

I'm no jet expert, but the strip is 1800+ metres, with a light northerly and minimal flight fuel, I'm fairly sure it'd be able to make the short trip back to Sydney. I'd hate to see her chopped up for scrap if it all doesn't work out in the Gong!

If needed they can get it back out again. YWOL is about 1800m from memory and the charts in this document seems to indicate that at a low weight it should be ok even with zero wind.

I understand that newish engines(for the reverse thrust) and tyres are being put on for the landing and will be swapped over to the original once it is in position.

Edit forgot the link:

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/747_4.pdf

Ok, nice.

But if there is a "go around" it would be interesting.

Using the South runway, what happens with the hills at the southern end?

And forgetting the go around, could they land on the Northern runway with that hill there?

Howard keeping it serviceable for flight would be very costly. I think there is plenty of them around but condition would be variable. Qantas would be compliant with AD's etc and generally much better than average. I doubt the runway PDF is adequate . Might be a bit of damage..Nev

• Informative 1

They would make it a condition that they would not be responsible. It won't disappear through the surface, but could easily crack it especially when turning. Pilots normally have to check the surface is up to it or a company person will get the permit. Often single or irregular use is permitted. It needs about 5 feet thickness at least of concrete to take a B 747 regularly. Sometimes they may reduce the tyre pressures as that is a big factor. Nev.

isnt the runway at YWOL longer than Longreach? and if my memory serves me correctly, the main body gear is steerable, so it should put to much twisting loads on the sub par YWOL surface. and a 747-400, empty with minimum fuel, at full TOGA power would climb almost as steeply as my Savannah climbed out at YWOL, so i dont think the hills will be an issue.