Light plane crashes in Toodyay WA 30 April 2015

From the ABC News

A light plane has crashed near Toodyay, east of Perth.

Fire and ambulance crews are at the scene, which authorities say is east of Coondle in WA's Wheatbelt.

One person was on board the plane and is being treated by St John ambulance staff.

The extent of the person's injuries is not yet known.

It is believed the aircraft crashed in a paddock about 8:00am.

And from our local rag:

The pilot of a glider has been injured in a crash near Toodyay.

Emergency services rushed to the scene in Coondle, north of Toodyay.

The 48-year-old pilot has been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

There are reports the pilot called 000 to raise the alarm.

The glider may have hit power lines before crashing.

It is accompanied by a photo of a buggered trike

An update:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-30/light-plane-crashes-in-toodyay/6433260

An ultra light plane has crashed near Toodyay, east of Perth, with its pilot taken to hospital after calling police.

The light aircraft crashed in a paddock off Hall Road in Nunile, in WA's Wheatbelt, before 7:40am, police said.

The 48-year-old male was taken to Northam Hospital in a serious condition, authorities said, and would be transferred to Royal Perth Hospital by the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Fire and ambulance crews were also called to the scene.

Toodyay farmer Frank Panizza, who went to the site of the crash, said he saw the pilot be put into an ambulance.

"He's been talking and he's been awake most of the time and he was actually able to make the call to police after he crashed," he said.

"There's a large ambulance and police and rescue contingent here and he's being loaded into the ambulance as we speak and he'll be making his way to hospital.

"It appears he's hit powerlines. The aircraft is actually only about 30 metres away from the bottom of the powerlines where they go across to the next-door neighbour's paddock."

Ouch. Hope he has a speedy recovery. Yet another reminder of the dangers of those invisible wires.

I often land in a paddock that has power lines down the edge and it never ceases to amaze me how invisible they are even when you know exactly where they are.

• Agree 4

Lucky to survive that trike crash there nothing in front to take the impact and a motor driving you into the ground behind .

Your profile pic shows a plane with engine out the back and just as much in front as the trike ... a trike has the snoot and nose wheel plus a compression strut - about the same as the aircraft you have pictured ;-)

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Lucky to survive that trike crash there nothing in front to take the impact and a motor driving you into the ground behind .

Complete presumption that you will crash nose first, looks very much like he landed rear first.

Hope his injuries aren't permanent.

The effort that these "reporters" put into checking the background facts of their stories makes one wonder if one should even trust the date printed in the banner.

I suppose one should be pleased that this "glider" didn't plummet into the ground as most airplanes do in a crash. I wonder if these reporters during their first lecture in Journalism 101 at an institute of higher learning are given a list of buzz words and cliches to commit to memory for use in various disaster reports.

I had another thought ... maybe the engine had stopped. That would make the airplane a glider, wouldn't it?

OME

Would not make it a glider, it would still be a trike but gliding

I had another thought ... maybe the engine had stopped. That would make the airplane a glider, wouldn't it?

OME

Your profile pic shows a plane with engine out the back and just as much in front as the trike ... a trike has the snoot and nose wheel plus a compression strut - about the same as the aircraft you have pictured ;-)

Sorry my profile picture is old as cant work out how to change it , that profile aircraft has been retired to make into another project after 14 year of good service . I fly a savannah these days give up pusher aircraft and two strokes as well after 20 year of flying them . Taken the 912 option and tractors for less noise and a bit less risk .

Dan

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Complete presumption that you will crash nose first, looks very much like he landed rear first.Hope his injuries aren't permanent.

I would guess nose first into power line then line caught and slowed aircraft as it pitched up then felt back out of it same thing happened to a local drifter 10 years back .

Cheers dan