RAAF jet fuel toxic

So their cells are "damaged" but long term results are "unknown" ... isn't that a contradiction?

Been working around automotive stuff all my life and known many mechanics etc and I have never seen anything out of the ordinary except bad tempers, and I'm not sure if that's one of the alleged side effects of lead or just the industry itself and dealing with all the knuckleheads (serious comment).

• Agree 1

science, bex, is a wonderful thing

Yeah, nah, "science" means to investigate and most certainly not to announce results before the results are in.

The cells have been noted to have had "change", which is the proper categorisation for the moment - might be well on the way to future humans with super strength and higher resistance to cancer for all they know. Certainly needed to reverse the current softness developing in people.

Now excuse me, time for my daily teaspoon of cement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I

Yeah, nah, "science" means to investigate and most certainly not to announce results before the results are in.The cells have been noted to have had "change", which is the proper categorisation for the moment - might be well on the way to future humans with super strength and higher resistance to cancer for all they know. Certainly needed to reverse the current softness developing in people.

I think you need a cup full in today's current society. Maybe you had the measurements wrong ?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-30/raaf-personnel-exposed-to-jet-fuel-suffered-cell-damage/6433360?google_editors_picks=trueRAAF jet fuel damaged ground crews' body cells; long-term consequences unknown, says groundbreaking research

Old news, I have been paid out 10 grand tax free years ago. Time will tell if I am effected .

You may be doing it wrong...

Nah, I mix it with honey like Dad taught me on that bare handed Crocodile catching trip when I as 5. That's the very first time I was killed, remember it well.

Guest ozzie

Avoid breathing the stuff especially the exhaust of jets. When jet engines are idling they only burn half of the fuel. It contributes to COPD and is full of carcinogens.

I now this first hand.

Avoid breathing the stuff especially the exhaust of jets. When jet engines are idling they only burn half of the fuel. It contributes to COPD and is full of carcinogens.I now this first hand.

We loved to wake up to the smell of Turbine fuel in the morning.

• Haha 1

Old news, I have been paid out 10 grand tax free years ago. Time will tell if I am effected .

I say this in the kindest possible way.......but look at the signs, look how you spelled affected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I say this in the kindest possible way.......but look at the signs, look how you spelled affected.

I'm more worried about spending 12 years as a plumber smelling glue and being coated in PVC primer which is actually MEK on a daily basis for all that time. Plus the 8.5 years working on F111's, I'm surprised I am actually still alive.

You and me both. I've had nitromethane, nitrobenzine, benzine , lead, truck brakes (asbestos) Asbestos in house construction.Smoking Stinking tractors (About 5,000 hours). Various toxic solvents, cyanide in paint . Absorbing dewatering fluids (kidney problems) and lot's I won't remember till after I finish this post and I'm still going OK at 75 . the only things I have going for me is I don't eat $#!t and I drink a lot of water Nev.

Guest Andys@coffs

To answer the question is this Mil fuel or civilian fuel, I know that there was a known carcinogen calle FSII that was added to AVTUR for military fuels. It was used to prevent the fungus (I think its a fungus) that can grow in AVTUR and turns it from a fluid to a jelly, not a desirable feature to have in your Kero storage tanks or Aircraft....

I don't recall it being specifically a Military only additive, but equally I seem to recall its primary role (FSII =Fuel System Icing Inhibitor) isn't needed in bigger RPT's cause the fuel feed lines are heated to prevent icing anyway..... For Mil purposes the Anti Fungal features were as/more important by virtue of what defence forces do they stockpile and prepare....something the Fungus likes

Andy

I'm more worried about spending 12 years as a plumber smelling glue and being coated in PVC primer which is actually MEK on a daily basis for all that time. Plus the 8.5 years working on F111's, I'm surprised I am actually still alive.

Yeah but that PVC glue smells goooood.

We'll give you some privacy. Take your time.

• Haha 1

To answer the question is this Mil fuel or civilian fuel, I know that there was a known carcinogen calle FSII that was added to AVTUR for military fuels. It was used to prevent the fungus (I think its a fungus) that can grow in AVTUR and turns it from a fluid to a jelly, not a desirable feature to have in your Kero storage tanks or Aircraft....I don't recall it being specifically a Military only additive, but equally I seem to recall its primary role (FSII =Fuel System Icing Inhibitor) isn't needed in bigger RPT's cause the fuel feed lines are heated to prevent icing anyway..... For Mil purposes the Anti Fungal features were as/more important by virtue of what defence forces do they stockpile and prepare....something the Fungus likes

Andy

From memory (it as a long time ago now for me...), the mil spec F34 was Jet A1 with FSII and F35 was Jet A1 with FSII and Biobor. The FSII was simply an icing inhibitor and the Biobor was the anti-fungal.

Guest Andys@coffs
From memory (it as a long time ago now for me...), the mil spec F34 was Jet A1 with FSII and F35 was Jet A1 with FSII and Biobor. The FSII was simply an icing inhibitor and the Biobor was the anti-fungal.

Yeah me too! the anti ice is an ethylene glycol derivative and I remember in the F111 ground training that it was the antifungal that was a known carcinogen......interesting that it was a known carcinogen back before all the problems with reseal/deseal become public and then once it had no understanding within defence as to why the troops / extroops were having health issues......

From the MSDS for Avtur:

11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION Basis for Assessment : Information given is based on product data, a knowledge of the components and the toxicology of similar products.

Acute Oral Toxicity : Low toxicity:LD50 >2000 mg/kg, Rat Aspiration into the lungs when swallowed or vomited may cause chemical pneumonitis which can be fatal.

Acute Dermal Toxicity : Low toxicity:LD50 >2000 mg/kg, Rabbit

Acute Inhalation Toxicity : Low toxicity: LC50 >5 mg/l / 4 h, Rat High concentrations may cause central nervous system depression resulting in headaches, dizziness and nausea; continued inhalation may result in unconsciousness and/or death.

Skin Irritation : Irritating to skin.

Eye Irritation : Slightly irritating.

Respiratory Irritation : Slightly irritating.

Sensitisation : Not a skin sensitiser. Repeated Dose Toxicity : Kidney: caused kidney effects in male rats which are not considered relevant to humans

Mutagenicity : Not considered a mutagenic hazard.

Carcinogenicity : Not classified as a carcinogen. Repeated skin contact has resulted in irritation and skin cancer in animals.

Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity : Not expected to be a developmental toxicant.

F-34 / AVTUR/FSII Version 1.2 Effective Date 08.04.2010 Material Safety Data Sheet 8/10 Print Date 08.04.2010

OME