Prop hub cracking What's going on???

gandalph

Thanks Andy just had to ask.

Got to verify things, I am a bit twitchy I do admit it.

That is good news that it is routine and not anything sinister.

Regards,

KP.

• Agree 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a routine audit. They only become non routine when you have non conformances identified and don't do anything about them......

If you Google "RAAus CASA Audit" you'll find the results of the last audit.

Let's hope all of these non conformances have been satisfactorily addressed. Im pretty sure the Coroner's recommendations concerning the Gympie Spitfire accident released in Dec' 2014 and the recent Ombudsmans comments regarding CASA's response to Coroner's recommendations will have an influence on the audit focus. Again these documents can be located using Google.

The 'Jabiru-Scimitar-hub-inspection-bulletin-06052015' is on the RAA website (under the Latest News tab as well as under Technical/Airworthiness)

• Like 1

Ok I've been around Dazza too long...... I couldn't help but notice a small grammatical (is that a word?) error under point 2 it says 'to propeller is to be removed' but I think it should read 'the propeller is to be removed'

Yes yes I know it doesn't matter but after all they had a few extra days to check it:stirrer:

Ok I'm off to troll somewhere else.

Ps not a nice looking crack.

Show me a nice looking crack...

Ok I know I said I wouldn't post a nice crack but after seeing this one I couldn't resist, not that it's a nice one but just because of the sheer novelty factor............

image.jpg.6ab0cd50fb496155d3ad5b40a4d773ab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1

I see the Raa has issued ( finally ) the " advice " for inspections.

The way I'm reading this, it's a one off check, surely this can't be right.

Strange logic.

Every where I look in the RAA bulletin it says "ADVISORY", nowhere does it say "MANDATORY" which is the usual word in urgent company service bulletins and AD's. This seems a mattter that could have very serious consequences, surely it should be mandatory and very clearly stated so in the notice? Is this mandatory or not?

I am running one of these props and so far it is performing well. I certainly will be checking it before the next flight. This prop hub is forged and apparently a very good way to go for structural integrity - maintaining the grain of the metal. I hope the small holes used for the roll pins that lock the pitch to a factory standard are not causing a stress point.

Interestingly I also used a Patroney composite prop on my Corby Starlet. The hub of the Patroney prop is a soft grade of aluminium and was machined by Camit. I've never heard of issues with Paul's props and mine was a beauty and is still going well with the new owner who has put a lot more hours on it than I did.

• 8 months later...

Heard recently, that a"jab" composite prop blade....(blade only) had shown cracking, done around 400+hrs. Any others ?? or is this just a beatup.??

Heard recently, that a"jab" composite prop blade....(blade only) had shown cracking, done around 400+hrs. Any others ?? or is this just a beatup.??

Russ

The two that I know of were installed by someone who should still be playing in a sand-pit with toy cars and not touching an aeroplane - maybe not related to what you are referring to.

Havent heard of blade cracking, only the hub and it was installed wrong.

Bolly make the blades to Jab spec, very similar design the their own but done in fibreglass not Carbon fibre.

Havent heard of blade cracking, only the hub and it was installed wrong.Bolly make the blades to Jab spec, very similar design the their own but done in fibreglass not Carbon fibre.

Jab blades are not carbon fibre.