Plane Crash North Stradbroke Island

Does anyone know if there was another accident about the same time in the same area because the reporting at first said a six seater and possibly 6 dead?Or was it just another reporting stuff up?

It could have been in the desperate search by Police etc to identify the aircraft, or it could have been an Operator thinking it was one of their aircraft which had departed for that area. There's a lot of confusion in those first minutes and people do their best.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horible horrible run we are having.... This one has witnesses. Not going to repeat what was 'reported' by them on the news incase it turns out to be more rubbish.

Thoughts are with the family and friends.. .

• Agree 2

Does anyone know if there was another accident about the same time in the same area because the reporting at first said a six seater and possibly 6 dead?Or was it just another reporting stuff up?

This should answer your concern.

"Earlier, a Queensland Police Service (QPS) spokesman said the crashed aircraft had the capacity to carry six people, but they could not confirm how many people were on board at the time of the crash." Source: ABC News

• Informative 1

According to news sources, it was reported to the authorities that up to 6 people were onboard, creating a

As well intentioned as the local cop may have been, he probably dosen't have the knowledge that most of us here do

And the benefit of hindsight.

• Agree 1

It's probable that some of the first actions of police, as the wreckage was drifting in, were to try to identify who it was by phoning local aero clubs and airfields to see who might have left for a flight over North Stradbroke.

However, taking swipes on the accuracy skills of journalists and police should be the last thing on your mind.

If a witness statement is correct, that the aircraft dropped a wing and fell in from 90 metres, you have a lot more to be worried about, with a score of six on the board for the past year.

• Agree 1

...... If a witness statement is correct, that the aircraft dropped a wing and fell in from 90 metres, you have a lot more to be worried about, with a score of six on the board for the past year.

Same story for the one that went in off Avalon beach after a fuel starvation. Subject to other no problems you should be able to land a low wing in the water with the correct technique and live to tell the tale ... no judgement call here just an observation very sad outcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Perhaps he had lost power and was attempting to glide to land (pure speculation of possibilities on my part), if witness accounts are credible it could have been a stall spin attempting to stretch the glide, the same thing that happened in the Speed accident and fatality at Avalon following a fuel exhaustion no power scenario where at least the passenger survived to tell the story. Difficulty is we may never know ... poor bugga.

• Agree 1

I remember saying on this forum years ago that pilots were not practicing and therefore not skilled at glide approaches, I got attacked from all sides for that.

• Agree 4

remember i witness accounts cant really be relied upon for accurate assessments.

Unless the witnesses are themselves pilots. . . .? then their statements become more valuable.. . . .?

• Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Funny thing about witnesses,. . . . .we had an incident at our local field, ( already reported here ) where there were two pilots,. . .one a student,. . .and one a retired airline pilot with 12,000 hours and now an aerobatics instructor and low level display authority examiner. The NON pilot, waiting for a trial flight, said that the aircraft was climbing, and that it suddenly stopped climbing, and pointed downwards. ( Stall ? ) the other two reported it for exactly what it was,. . .a departure stall, by a pilot who had only 1 hour time on type, and had loaded the aircraft with full fuel and a "meaty" passenger. . . .and had climbed "Exuberantly" ie, at too steep an angle of climb for the type, at the particular weight.

So. if I was an air crash investigator,. . . I wouldn't wish to discount a statement made by a non-pilot, especially if there was no one else around,. . .the investigators can glean quite a lot of useful info from non pilot witnesses. . . . .

This probably doesn't apply to the accident described in the thread,. . .but info from the the "grockles" should never be completely discounted as worthless all of the the time. . . . .

As for the police,. . . they are just doing their job. . . .and the media,. . . . .WELL that, as they say,. . .is another story. . . . . .get it out one the web FIRST . . . . and quick,. . .the facts are secondary. . . . .

Guest Maj Millard

In my experience with a couple of accidents, non- flyer eye witness reports can provide the missing key. They know what they saw and don't forget it, even if they way they relay it isn't exactly accurate. Often they are the only witnesses also.

I remember a Coroner who said it would be desirable to stop motorcycles leaning over on corners, being a cause of accidents.

Another famous statement from a judge about a 3 engined plane asking which wing had 2 engines on it.

"The engine was working hard flying into the strong wind" before the crash etc

Estimating height of aircraft from a non qualified witness, never seems to stand up in court, unless it flew under a bridge or such.

Any information is better than none, but we know how most reporters get nearly the whole lot wrong often. The best thing is a camera shot. Nev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember a Coroner who said it would be desirable to stop motorcycles leaning over on corners, being a cause of accidents.Another famous statement from a judge about a 3 engined plane asking which wing had 2 engines on it.

"The engine was working hard flying into the strong wind" before the crash etc

Estimating height of aircraft from a non qualified witness, never seems to stand up in court, unless it flew under a bridge or such.

Any information is better than none, but we know how most reporters get nearly the whole lot wrong often. The best thing is a camera shot. Nev

Speaking on camera shots Nev maybe that's the go. Instead of black boxes for us they make it mandatory to have forward facing go-pro's hard wired into the system giving a full account of each flight. We could even fit interlock systems for those that are a little suspect so far as their drinking habits are concerned. The list is endless but I suppose then we would have to up the weight categories to be able to legally carry all the extra hardware.

Well it would certainly facilitate any inquiry. The technology is cheap. Regarding fitting it as instrumentation, I would rather keep that basic and have a GPS backup. Nev

The technology is cheap. Nev

You and I view the price of a go pro very differently:yes:, cheap is not what I would describe them as.

Mandating working video capture for ultralights IMHO is going overboard and is adding another cost that isn't needed.

Yes I own a go pro, and I enjoy recoding my flights occasionally, and I can understand how much easier it makes things for investigators. BUT don't mandate for me to have one on every flight. Flying is meant to be fun but seems some of us are wanting things 'we' like mandated so everyone has to do the same.