Tecnam P Jet

Can't really see the point of tip tanks on light aircraft. They're not like fighter aircraft that have wings built like brick sh*thouses so they can take the weight of ordnance. Why would you hang a heavy weight at each tip, not to mention the plumbing required, instead of having an extra set of moulded wing tanks closer to the fuse?

Reduces structural weight. If the fuel is carried in the centre it counts for load and the structure has to be stronger. Jet wings are thin too so hard to have fuel gauges that work well. Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Seems a bit odd for a jet to have such a big wing. i wonder what speed it is supposed to fly at. Big horiz stab in the jet efflux. I don't think I want to fly it.

Seems a bit odd for a jet to have such a big wing. i wonder what speed it is supposed to fly at. Big horiz stab in the jet efflux. I don't think I want to fly it.

Hmmmm... yeh

• Agree 1

There is quite a good article I found on the interweb about how the Cessna 310 402A 421A(?) came about their design. There was a few reasons for the tip tanks that I can't remember but the one I can was that the tanks were designed to separate from the wing in an accident removing some of the fire risk. I'll see if I can find it.

Can't really see the point of tip tanks on light aircraft.

As Facthunter said, moving weight outwards from the centre lessens the span-load concentration on the spars.

The amount of fuel this would need to carry (don't be surprised if this chews 90+ litres an hour!!) would create too much load, requiring the wings to be stronger (heavier).

Big horiz stab in the jet efflux.

Actually, thrust line looks to be above the line of the stab, PLUS, with a high mounted engine like that, it would probably have a small amount of 'up' thrust to balance the power / pitch couple, giving more clearance.

The only problem I have with the layout is the direct side by side seating.

In bigger aircraft (like the Provost), the overall weight of the crew forms a lower percentage of the all up weight, so the difference between 'one up' / 'two up', is less noticeable.

As aircraft get smaller, this becomes a bigger problem to the extent that many small (read ultralight) planes need to carry moveable ballast (read dead weight), to stay within their weight and balance range.

There seems to be a continual resistance to the concept of staggered, side by side seating yet from a technical point of view, it seems almost better than all other layouts;

•Pilot / student has expansive view,

•Much wider cockpit than tandem layout,

•Aircraft can be narrower than full side by side (aerodynamic improvement),

•Instructor can still relate physically / visually with student,

•Still only one set of instruments required.

So I'm guessing people hope it's going to be in the $250k region, but probably end up more like $350k finished.

Guest Howard Hughes
So I'm guessing people hope it's going to be in the $250k region, but probably end up more like $350k finished.

If it's to be used as a military trainer I would expect more like$2.5 mill, you might get the unpressurised version for just over a mill!

It would have to be pressurised to be in any way serious as a Jet trainer (or much else for that matter). THAT will cost and has potential hazards.

Note Some Lancairs are pressurised. Nev

Still would be fun. Wouldn't mind one of these.

Spot on Shags.

It looks cool, it would sound cool, it would smell cool. What more could a fella want:plane:

• Agree 1

Jet engine sounding cool? They can if they are really big with fans that make a beaut noise and you are in the cockpit,well forward from where they sound the best. Otherwise they sound like an overspeeding vaccuum cleaner that turns kero into a bad smell. Nev

• Haha 1

Quality Aircraft since 948? They have been around for a while.

I believe Leonardo was their chief engineer at one point!

(First Class member privileges....so na na na na naaaaa)

I believe Leonardo was they're chief engineer at one point!

DAZZA WHERE ARE YOU...............

Sorry Downunder just a slight dig at the they're/their thingy