Electric hybrid assist

Litespeed

This is on Gizmag and is very interesting as a supplemental engine system.

Is attached to the prop and gives 40hp for approx 20 kms in emergency or can be extra power for takeoff.

Naturally it would affect weight and balance but is a clever idea. For a design optimised to accept the extra weight, it could be great, battery is quite small. Would certainly help a lot in engine out situations, even if to stretch the glide. On a slippery airframe 40hp could be enough to maintain height and get away from tiger country.

http://www.gizmag.com/emergency-electric-engine-uc3m-aircraft/37958/

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Now, I would imagine this motor would need a clutch to disconnect itself from the engine if it stops, to run on electric alone.

Using power to turn over a dead motor just wouldn't work. And if it was seized then it's game over for both.....

The 912 has a built in clutch too.

As the 912 g/box is easily removable, the next development to my mind would be to incorporate both clutches together (into one) in a redesigned rotax g/box housing.

This would mount the normal rotax gearing plus clutch and (possibly) electric motor.....It would also shorten that long drive to the prop too, which looks a bit "ungainly" and require less counterbalance weight.

Another option would be to mount the electric motor back over the g'box externally somehow....

Why not drive the prop direct from the electric motor, with a (smaller) fuel engine charging it?

Every kg of engine weight we add = a couple of kg more airframe; maybe a 40hp electric is all you need for a single-seater. The amazing Saphire would love this engine.

It looks like the way they have fitted the motor and battery to the airframe takes care of the balance problem, but then there is still the trade off for the weight of the unit. Too bad the article did not say how much the system weighed.

I think the engine in the plane is a Lycoming. Can anyone name the plane?

OME

Probably the most reliable engine around. There's no harm in doing this stuff but with an extra powerful battery the extra weight, the clutching required on the front of the motor, heavy leads, switching, significant cost etc At this time I wouldn't do it. Eventually a hybrid might be worthwhile especially if the solar panel's efficiency is improved. there's a fair area on an aircrafts wing. Nev

• Agree 2

Why a hybrid for flying? I can understand it for a car, where you can chaarge a battery when coasting or braking, but that doesn't work in the air.

Any piston engine has a low energy conversion rate and converting electricity to power has inbuilt losses. Hybrid is just combining the two in my opinion.

that was my first thought to sadly, not much use on a rotax, the jab guys will love it... sad but true.

good to know its available to use not just for emergencies, but for a 40% power boost on take off! the Savannah will be Awesome with this addition, (its plenty powerful enough already though)

but 20Km? cmon, gives us a time son!

• Agree 1

While I can see the benefits I did have some hesitation to start with. What I thought of first was 'how many accidents/forced landings are made worse now because we (the pilots) try to stretch the glide?' So while I think an extra few Kms would be a good thing it did cross my mind that it could also lul us into stretching the glide also maybe it could let us convince ourselves that the tiger country wasn't as dangerous anymore. BUT having said that and thinking over it a bit more I do think it's a good idea, after all those 'possible' negatives are back to human factors and are not a direct result of having this attachment.

I do like the idea of an extra 40hp on takeoff:wink:

• Agree 1

As I said in post#3 . This is a permanent weight once installed that the airframe must carry. We would all like more power at times.. It has a fair cost impost most likely and also more wiring and switches etc. All things to go wrong. Nev

• 5 months later...