Preparing a nervous passenger - before the day

Hi all - just after everyone's experiences on the topic. I've found with all passengers it helps to give a good briefing and explain things along the way, involve them in the process, give them things to do, etc.

But I have yet to take a seriously nervous one. What do you do in the weeks or days leading up to the flight in order to reassure and calm them? Especially when they only have to turn on the news to see a "Cessna" going down in flames?

I've had a few slightly nervous ones but never a paranoid nervous one, I think I would shy away if they were paranoid nervous. But for the slightly nervous I've found a few things that help

1. Make the flight shorter than they expect, even if it is just an extended circuit with GENTLE turns. (It is much better to have them wanting more, even if you only give them a coffee break and go again a bit further if they want to)

2. Keep it a little light hearted but DON'T joke about 'what was that cracking noise!'. You want them relaxed not extra anxious.

3. Make it a smooth day. If you have a nervous pax and it is bumpy on their first flight they won't come back, but if their first one is smooth they will come back even if their next one is bumpy.

4. Explain things beforehand, without adding emphasis to scare them but make sure you do cover things that could scare them if unaware, for example make sure you touch on things like how the ground appears to speed up when you are coming into land. The last thing you want is them grabbing a control because of a fright, (which of course should be covered in your pax brief but when shocked people do funny/scary things!)

5. DON'T give them a sick bag to hold! But DO make sure you have one in easy reach and be aware of long silences.

As for the days and weeks before I don't really know, but I would think if you relay to them the good points (scenery, points of interest ect) that will help to give them the hunger for it. Telling them about how you got flipped on your side with turbulence probably won't help lol

• Like 6

Excellent ideas so far.

Get them to keep eyes outside to the distance, so that what they see matches what they feel.

Keep talking to them, about the scenery, what's going on, anything. Look at them, have them look at you.

When they go quiet and won't respond is the time to RTB. They are just holding it together and don't have any capacity left to talk.

Give them a sick bag beforehand, and tell them that they WILL NOT need it, but take it anyway, or place it within reach. Sometimes, they are afraid to ask until it's just too late.047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

• Like 2

A running commentary is a good idea for example "we have climbed to our cruise height so now I will reduce the engine speed" or "now we are going to descend so I need to reduce the engine power". In my experience, the nervous flyer gets concerned when they hear a change in the engine sound especially if they are looking outside.

• Like 3

as said before - get passenger to participate .............................. good one is visual outside - if you see something (bird, plane, etc) indicate / point it out

ensure they know how to access fresh air vents so they can adjust

• Like 1

great stuff guys. this is just someone who wants to go but is scared and needs a bit of mental preparation to psych themselves up. I like the suggestion about not giving them a sick bag, but having it in reach. Sometimes it can be a self-fulfilling (lap-filling) prophecy if you hand it to them. Also i find it helps to make sure they know now to do any rapid head movements as that can bring it on. But I think mostly its the freak-out factor of sitting in a chair in the sky.

Give them a sick bag beforehand, and tell them that they WILL NOT need it, but take it anyway, or place it within reach. Sometimes, they are afraid to ask until it's just too late.047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

I dont give them a sick bag before, I don't even tell them that I have sone, but do make sure I have a number ready and keep a good eye on the passenger. To a large extent air sickness is psychological and people don't get airsick if they don't realize they should be. Giving them an airsick bag gives them something to worry about.

• Agree 2

I usually say " today should be pretty smooth but, if you feel a little queasy tell me and I'll go back ", sometimes just saying this gives them the feeling that they have some control over the flight duration . Better to be forwarned and, depending on your assessment ,it may be time to hand them a bag ... just in case , but best not to stray too far from base ...... Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Involve them in the walkaround and explain what you're doing and what all the moving bits do. Gets them involved and gives them less time to get nervous while they're waiting anxiously for the big moment when they have to get in.

rgmwa

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Involve them in the walkaround and explain what you're doing and what all the moving bits do. Gets them involved and gives them less time to get nervous while they're waiting anxiously for the big moment when they have to get in.rgmwa

Good one! It also shows them how seriously you take your preparation to fly and how careful you are about safety.

• Agree 1

This is coming from a passenger's perspective (all of two times), so sorry if it might sound silly (I won't ruin repeat what's been already said):

* a cuppa before and after the flight - It helped me with calming the nerves

* letting them sit inside for a little while before taking off - I found it helped me to familiarise myself a little with knowing how to sit when in flight (where not to put legs, putting things within reach if they take a camera etc). I didn't realise the limited movements (couldn't reach as far) once I had my seatbelt on......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 2

Great stuff, keep it coming.

Bit of thread drift, in that I've already covered the stuff to do on the day... really just interested in helping someone mentally prepare in the days leading up to the Big Day.

Good tips Kay - I never thought about the limited reach etc.

Oh how about this - sometimes i let them strap on the ipad mini kneeboard and they can follow the moving map if they are curious as to where they are in relation to what they can see. They seem to enjoy this (and i can sneak a look if i need to)

Will there be a destination in mind for the flight? (ie. Going to a place or locally). My friend is quite organised. In the few days before flying, he showed me things like:

* draft flight plans - he had a couple of options drafted up incase of weather. He showed me a completed flight plan from a previous trip for comparison.

* flight routes - my friend had the map marked out with distance markers, where to change frequencies, he pointed out places that may be of interest (while we would be in flight) etc.

* Copy of the ERSA (that's the document that shows the runways, AWIS number etc?). He showed which direction we were coming from in relation to the airport/airstrip, but also explained what would happen when landing etc. On the day, I was able to follow the map, marked off as we went past the various markers etc. I even got to call the AWIS numbers to get the reports!

I'm sure your passenger will have lots of fun. Despite the preparations, I was still a bit nervous on the day, but it was definitely the excited type, not the scared type ! :)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just telling them the plane won't fall out of the sky and that it glides well if the engine stops will be some use. No matter what you do some will have an uncontrollable urge to get back on the ground, Rare but it happens. Nev

• Like 1

Involve them in the walkaround...

Sorry to maintain the thread drift, but this reminded me of some that really surprised me recently. My son took a photo of me checking the oil during the preflight, and posted same on facebook. One of the comments (from a paraglider pilot, of all people) was "that can't be good if he's looking under the bonnet!". It had never occurred to me that an onlooker may consider that inspecting the engine would be an indication of something wrong rather than being good practice, but now I explain *why* I'm "looking under the bonnet".

Oh, and two other things. If I have someone who's never landed in a light plane before, then long before I get to the airport (generally around the 10 mile inbound call) I talk about how I slow the plane down a lot in the circuit and demonstrate how it doesn't fall out of the sky when the engine goes to idle. Last thing I want is someone getting a sudden shock and reacting badly at circuit height. The other is that I always start my pax briefing with "I'm required by law to tell you that smoking is not permitted in this aircraft, and in the event of an emergency, the exits are there and there". It always seems to relax them and then they listen to the real briefing. :)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Lots of good advice here. I always tell a new passenger that it is their flight, and my job is to make sure they enjoy it. If at any time they want to come back or there is anything they want, just say the word.

I also do two walkarounds. I will explain that I have my own system to follow and need to concentrate without interruption. Once I am happy, I then go over it again with them and show them what I am looking for. They are all happy that I take it seriously and understand the need for no distractions.

Like sfGnome, I also do a demonstration of what it will be like when I pull the power to idle on descent. (My throttle is the old Jabiru 'between the legs' type and passengers can't see me obviously reducing throttle to idle.) I also explain that a go-around is normal and there is a good probability of it. I may do one just for practice.

Adam, I know your original question is what can you do to reassure a nervous pax in the period leading up to the flight, but as someone who was personally terrified of flying for years, I found that not much really helped. In fact, I spent about two weeks of sleepless nights, leading up to my TIF. Once it was over I slept like a baby with relief.

• Informative 1

I usually say " today should be pretty smooth but, if you feel a little queasy tell me and I'll go back ", sometimes just saying this gives them the feeling that they have some control over the flight duration . Better to be forwarned and, depending on your assessment ,it may be time to hand them a bag ... just in case , but best not to stray too far from base ...... Bob

Its probabaly prohibited these days, but one of the best anti-barf strategies is to let them wiggle the stick for a while. It gives them a focus, rather than just letting them think about throwing up.

If you have a hill in your area that emulates a climb/descent profile, drive them up the hill, pointing out how you rotate slowly as you start up the hill, and how the surrounding area falls away as you climb and look down on it. Explain how this is similar to takeoff and climb. At the top of the hill, explain how this is like levelling off at the top of climb. Do the reverse for descent and point out how the ground rises to meet you, and how you round out at the bottom. Allowing them to relate to these familiar actions will reduce their apprehension in the air.

Be careful if doing a preflight walk around with a new pax, if you decide to do that try to do a preflight before they get there so that you have done it all without distractions and then do a walk around with them. Because if you miss something because of them distracting you it won't matter as you already checked everything beforehand.

Also people who have some mechanical knowledge on things other than planes will NOT appreciate seeing how 'flimsy' the engine mounts look......... How do I know that? I showed a pax my engine bay after a nice flight and got a shocked "those wire pieces are all that holds the engine on?!" I guess the half inch rod looks a bit different to a car chassis 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Like 1