More Dangerous Than Flying

In any of the older German-built gliders, you are illegal at over 110kg seat weight, so this includes your clothes and chute.

At my club, this was never enforced, and nobody ever came to grief. I think the latest gliders have a higher seat-weight figure, to suit the changes in the population.

My first sight of a Jabiru was one which arrived on a cross-country exercise from Port Pirie in about 1997 , and not one but two fat people got out of it.

So I reckon being overweight is mostly dangerous for medical reasons and not Jabiru or glider flying reasons.

Former instructor here....and if somebody looked close to the limit for a Jab, I'd weigh them and either assign them to the Foxbat if they were over 100kg, get them to fly with a lighter instructor if our combined weight was over 220kg, or drain fuel to get the aircraft under MTOW. I was 90kg (a touch over now..) and didn't like the idea of flying overweight or exceeding structural limits.....they're there for a reason, after all.

• Like 2

There are lots of things more dangerous than flying on a total casualties basis, for example lots more people die on the road than in aircraft, but it is not convincing to say that cars are more dangerous than aircraft.I reckon a " per participant " basis is more convincing, so here are some of the things I suspect are more dangerous than flying:

smoking

riding motorcycles

rock fishing

being overweight

being inactive

insulting Islam

It would be good to have some confirmation and some numbers... for example, I think that being overweight has twice the mortality of flying and being inactive is has 4 times the mortality of flying.

Damn, I am in trouble then.

Ex smoker, rides motorcycles, occasionally goes rock fishing, am overweight and currently inactive (you can thank motorcycles, or perhaps kangaroos for that) and I insult islam on a regular basis.

Flying is possible one of the least dangerous, of the many things I`ve done!...When I was 15, I got thrown of a horse at full gallop and landed, head first, on my neck and shoulders! I decided horses wern`t for me, too dangerous! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif, so I took up racing motorbikes..006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif..This particular day I was practicing on a grass track, got a front wheel wobble and got thrown into the air again,like the horse had done! didn`t give the bikes away though and it only happened once.

Last Friday, in Cairns, a truck hit and killed,a guy on a push bike.

Frank.

• Like 2

Flippin 'ell Bruce,. . . .

What if you happened to be riding yer Honda Goldwing, really relaxingly, having just told your partner that her fat ar$e was slowing the bike down and using more fuel, on the way to some good rock fishing whilst being a smoking, overweight bloke, and on the way, you insulted some militant mussies as you wheelied around their mosque car park throwing bacon off the back, . . . . ?

I shudder to think. . . .

• Haha 1

He might have to modify the stick in his Savannah if he is 130 Kg, hey Kyle Comm? Fuel management will be an issue for him if he wants to get into long distance touring.

Couldn't he Lean it out a bit for long distance ?. . . NOOOOO Not the bloody fuel. . . .His Gut ?

Being a musician AND in a plane. Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, John Denver, Otis Redding, Aaliyah, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Patsy Cline...

Oh hell,. . . .but I only know eleven chords on my battered old guitar. . .

OH, do you mean MUSICIANS OF SOME NOTORIETY ? ? ? ?

Thank heaven for that then. . . .I'm at least 21% safe. . . . .

• Haha 1

Flippin 'ell Bruce,. . . .What if you happened to be riding yer Honda Goldwing, really relaxingly, having just told your partner that her fat ar$e was slowing the bike down and using more fuel, on the way to some good rock fishing whilst being a smoking, overweight bloke, and on the way, you insulted some militant mussies as you wheelied around their mosque car park throwing bacon off the back, . . . . ?

I shudder to think. . . .

Jeez Phil. Don't ya know, Gentleman ride Goldwings, we wouldn't be doing wheelies anywhere. We would just cruise around their carpark, as for the smoking they stopped putting ashtrays on Goldwings when the 1800 came out. And I may be stupid but there is no way on earth that I would tell my missus that her fat ar$e was slowing me down. That would be a certain invite into the afterlife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are all going to die and should adjust to the inevitability of it at some stage, but death isn't part of life.. It's the end of life. If you like living and have at least half a brain why not take positive steps to enhance your life prospects, particularly with how you fly. ( It's our concern here).

The largest CAUSE of death in the 15 to 40 age group in this country, is suicide. That is a fact. What causes suicide.. depression personal self worth/respect issues etc. During periods of war, the rate drops to almost zero because you have more to think about outside of your self image.

Most living things try hard not to die. (build up antibodies and defend themselves by running or flying away or camouflage or fighting.) It's the way life has evolved to keep living. There's nothing more natural..Nev

During periods of war, the rate drops to almost zero because you have more to think about outside of your self image.

And you have plenty of opportunity to be killed by other people...

• 3 weeks later...

Farri you have a point about horse riding.

The chairman of Britain's drug advisory panel got sacked for saying that ecstasy drug was less dangerous than horse riding. He wasn't accused of being wrong, he just said something people didn't want to hear.

Well I personally like the idea of horse riding ( as well as motorbike riding etc), and I don't understand the appeal of drugs (beer and red wine excepted ).

I would like to be regulated like horse riding. Why do we suffer much more attention?

Have you checked horse riding regulations Bruce, or was that just a thought bubble.

I got sick of all the regulations at one stage and decided I would rather go farming and supply boutique restaurants with meat.

I was stunned to find there were more regulations there than in the transport industry, tagging of animals, stamping of carcasses, bar coding of food portions, so if someone got a bad steak they could trace it to me. Decided the transport industry was a breeze after that.

gosh Turbs, whats happened to the world? I remember you just needed a horse and saddle and stuff. But I am actually writing this while minding a sheep farm in Victoria. And I agree farming is becoming over-regulated too. The richest people in the district used to be the well-off among the farmers. These days it is the council executives and the senior police and suchlike. Keeping all these parasites means big rates and taxes.

Far from making me safer, they have introduced a big new danger... that is, being dispossessed or jailed as a consequence of breaking some regulation.

• Agree 1

Much of this regulatory activity is sparked by incensed vox populi demanding 'the Government should do something about this' - and politicians reacting.

Same story as the Jabiru restrictions.

• Agree 2

Being a musician AND in a plane. Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, John Denver, Otis Redding, Aaliyah, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Patsy Cline...

And not forgetting. . . .Glenn Miller ? ? ?

• Agree 1

So you are saying you understand the appeal of drugs?

Naw,. . . I think Bruce meant that there are some acceptables, and some unnacceptables,. . . then there are, quite reasonably of course, SOME generally acceptable unnaceptables. . . .

( Hic )

• Agree 1