More Dangerous Than Flying

There are lots of things more dangerous than flying on a total casualties basis, for example lots more people die on the road than in aircraft, but it is not convincing to say that cars are more dangerous than aircraft.

I reckon a " per participant " basis is more convincing, so here are some of the things I suspect are more dangerous than flying:

smoking

riding motorcycles

rock fishing

being overweight

being inactive

insulting Islam

It would be good to have some confirmation and some numbers... for example, I think that being overweight has twice the mortality of flying and being inactive is has 4 times the mortality of flying.

• Like 1

If you drive a car and also ride motorcycles on the way to your rock fishing, never exercise so are overweight and fly or drive everywhere.......stone the crows you are in real trouble.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I'll add a couple more Bruce !

Coming home from the pub at midnight when you went there at 5pm for 2 beers 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

When your partner asks you...." does my bum looks big in these jeans" .... and you answer YES 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

(not guilty of any of the above......just saying !)

• Agree 1

Being overweight, inactive and flying. Wow.

I do notice that there are not so many fat people flying as you would expect as a proportion of the population.

Combine flying and bushwalking as I do and you will fit into a Corby Starlet

Being overweight, inactive and flying. Wow. Combine flying and bushwalking as I do and you will fit into a Corby Starlet

Do you bush walk because the Starlet has a lot of out landings?

OME

• Haha 7

Being overweight, inactive and flying. Wow.I do notice that there are not so many fat people flying as you would expect as a proportion of the population.

Combine flying and bushwalking as I do and you will fit into a Corby Starlet

Is there a max seat weight on LSA aircraft? I know a fellow who is 130kilos dry and no way would I take him up in my Jabiru. He wants to learn to fly but alas, his weight problem will not allow it in LSA aircraft I am sure.

• Agree 2

It can be done. I looked at Sport Av's Eurofoxes- both for endorsements. It's my 2m that really causes issues. I have flown a 160C 2 up on a 40 degree day, was pretty impressed by its performance.

Cheers

Kev

• Agree 1

Is there a max seat weight on LSA aircraft? I know a fellow who is 130kilos dry and no way would I take him up in my Jabiru. He wants to learn to fly but alas, his weight problem will not allow it in LSA aircraft I am sure.

He might have to modify the stick in his Savannah if he is 130 Kg, hey Kyle Comm? Fuel management will be an issue for him if he wants to get into long distance touring.

Max weight per seat on the J-160 is 110kg, according to the POH. In the Foxbat, there's no limit per seat, but a combined pilot & pax weight limit of 220kg.

I was 130Kgs when I first started to learn.

I learned in a Foxbat A22LS with an instructor at around the 80Kg mark.

With an empty weight of 330 Kgs that allowed us 80 litres of fuel.

And that is the reason that I chose to learn in a Foxbat.

Death is a part of life, just depends on your actions to how soon you end up dead

Every one dies in the end

As long as mine and your @sses keep pointing to the ground people are going to keep on dying in all sorts of crashes/ accidents including aviation

No one goes out with the intent on dying on a particular day pursuing their hobby or their job but it happens quiet regulary and you and I cannot stop it

We can preach all we like, we can bring in all the rules in the world but people will keep breaking them and keep on making poor decisions and keep up ending up dead

Only way to maybe curb a lot of these is look after yourself only by being smart in whatever you do and avoid being careless as any of us can be that someone else

There was a flying school here, now defunct, & the CFI was around 120 kg. He continued expanding to about 140 kg. He trained people in a J170. I could never figure out how he got in it, but he did & trained a number of 100+ kg students. I felt sorry for the 170. He gave up for medical reasons and lack of students. I think people were becoming concerned (possibly by the lack of space in the cockpit for them) & went elsewhere. Up close & personal with a couple of biggies in a Jab is a bit of an understatement.

Never had to do an outlanding in the Corby. Had a couple in a drifter, but managed to survive with no need to walk anywhere. The only other engine stoppage was a C150.

Death is a part of life, just depends on your actions to how soon you end up deadEvery one dies in the end

As long as mine and your @sses keep pointing to the ground people are going to keep on dying in all sorts of crashes/ accidents including aviation

No one goes out with the intent on dying on a particular day pursuing their hobby or their job but it happens quiet regulary and you and I cannot stop it

We can preach all we like, we can bring in all the rules in the world but people will keep breaking them and keep on making poor decisions and keep up ending up dead

Only way to maybe curb a lot of these is look after yourself only by being smart in whatever you do and avoid being careless as any of us can be that someone else

We live in a society where the voluntary acceptance of risk vs. our desire to do things is moderated by the influence bought on 'authorities' to limit risk by imposing restrictions.

Recreational Aviation has had precisely zero impact on the 'general public' safety - NO member of the 'general public' has been injured or killed by the activities of Recreational aviators. By comparison. many, many forms of activity HAVE killed/injured members of the uninvolved 'general public' -including unsecured building developments falling down, police car chases, ski-boats and PWCs hitting innocent swimmers, buses running over pedestrians, aged drivers crashing into pedestrians/ buildings, petrol tankers exploding in crashes in suburban areas, building awnings falling down... the list of activities that kill /injure people is so extensive that it is seriously incomprehensible.

If we then get to fatalities/injuries incurred by the participants of activities, Recreational aviation still remains right out on the end of the Bell curve. Obesity is by so far a major killer that it makes Recreational aviating healthy life-style choice. FFS, look at the number of rock fishing deaths, or deaths in tinnies over a year, by comparison.

As a sector of society involved in fatalities/injuries, Recreational aviating is so grossly over-represented in the media as to be a grotesque aberration. The number of people killed by bushfires started by human activity in the last five years - for example - is exponentially greater than the number of people killed /injured in all Recreational aviation activity.

In the grand scheme, Recreation aviating represents a hazard rather less than a fart in a bucket by comparison with the major risks that our society faces.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Oscar

Im passing comment on no matter how hard or how many rules come to us people will keep killing themselves in whatever they do.

Rec flying is safe as far as I'm concerned, not one plane, PPG or trike hasn't crashed in the last 30 months without the help of the human input

Aircraft are the safe bet, pilots are the dangerous part of the equation

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Being a musician AND in a plane. Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, John Denver, Otis Redding, Aaliyah, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Patsy Cline...

• Like 1