CASA changes

Camel

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Skidmore in Canberra recently and found him to be very credible in his determination to reform CASA and win the trust and confidence of the Industry. He has a very large and incredibly complex set of issues in front of him but he gave me the feeling that if anyone can do it, he can. Will it happen overnight? No. Will it happen ever to everyone's satisfaction. No. Is it worth doing? Has he made a good start? I believe he has, virtually from day 1. Will there be resistance to a change in style for CASA? Of course there will. Would I like to be one of the people resisting change? Definitely not.

I doubt there will be redress of some of the things in the past that some people would like to see but I think our future is looking a hell of a lot brighter than it was under his predecessor. On the basis of his progress to date, I'm more than prepared to give him a couple of years to make a dent in the Herculean task in front of him.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The jury is out about Mark Skidmore - certainly a lot of people have serious reservations that he can get the job done.

Here is his CV since he joined #casa.

Appointed September 2014

1st December 2014 - started innauguration at Aviation House

1st January 2015 - Official start to tenure

15th January 2015 - finally makes it to casa.gov.au

27th February 2015: Death of Bernie Currall [patient on the PelAir flight and ditching]

18th March 2015: Skidmore addresses Police conference on remote vehicles

7th May 2015: Lockhart River Tragedy now is 10-years-on from Wednesday 7th May 2005 at 11:44am

26th May 2015: Meeting of Skidmore and AFAP

5th June 2015: Dick Smith achieves a “win” against CASA on airspace issues

27th June 2015: Arthur Pape meets with Skidmore in NZ

23rd July 2015: AHIA meets with CASA Board and DAS of CASA.

30th July 2015: CASA aviation industry forum 2015 to 2030

20th August 2015: Paul Phelan publishes questions on #casa

25th August 2015: Release of #casa corporate plan

21st September 2015: September missive [10-point plan by Skidmore] [10-commandments]

I remarked at the time [January 2015]:

On reading the “bio”, there is no mention of forward plans, relationship to the aviation industry and no press release to say Mark is here to place a definitive change in place.

We are now some 11 months down the track since Mark placed his "feet-under-the-desk" and all we are getting is further reviews, which is why I posted this morning.

Action time is more than here.

The 10 principles are a breakthrough in my view. I think they are right and Mr Skidmore has set them for every action taken by CASA to be judged. I can think of actions in the past that to my way of thinking fail at least 5 of these principles. No doubt others can do that as well.

However, any action if future on Mr Skidmore's watch, that fails even one of the Principles can be brought to the attention of Mr Skidmore quoting the Principle failed and the reasons why you think the action failed the stated principle.

We have seen some of the worst of the old guard at CASA move on and we may see more in the future especially if they are unwilling to go with the new flow laid down by Skidmore.

The first thing he should do is re-lable every person that interacts with casa a customer or supplier....then have all staff trained in customer service...setup a customer service department, a complaints department and some customer relationship managers that have pretty serious powers for dealing with staff who fail to take on a new approach to customer service

Also have a right of appeal for all customers and kpi's for customer service, complaints, resolutions and wait times...right now my class 2 mwdical has been withCASA for 16 months...if they finally approve it , i will have 6 months before i go through the entire process and cost again....

• Like 1

Helicopter Industry calls it quits on assisting #casa cause more damage

AHIA Boss, Rob Rich and the helicopter industry have had enough according to today’s press release.

To: Helicopter Industry Colleagues,

It is time to take a stand against the unfair treatment of our industry by the Regulator and stop the distraction caused by the mismanaged regulatory reform process. To achieve this, we need to unite. We have been working hard to protect the industry’s existence but it seems CASA is not listening, heeding our suggestions or accepting our offers of assistance.

The vice-president Ray Cronin, supports this notion, saying:

“………..our industry members need to focus on their operations to ensure continued safe, efficient and financially viable futures in lieu of being dragged into impossible bureaucratic battles brought on by so much unwanted Government legislation…”

“We would be encouraged by a change in direction to see the DAS [Mark Skidmore] and CASA’s managers focusing on solutions and deal with what has already been raised rather than trying to flush out another range of issues.” Ray said.”

The aviation industry could not agree more Ray.

This attitude of #casa in refusing to fix the problems behind them such as Part 61 was well seen just last week in Cairns in another talk-fest.

Let’s bring in the US-FAR’s or the more palatable NZ-FAR’s now, reduce the redtape and allow industry to move on with it’s critical tasks. The current process reduces rather than enhances safety.

• Like 1

Yes Dr Zoos, it would be great if CASA saw us as customers or clients. Alas, they see themselves as the police and us the criminals, or potential criminals. Luckily for them they don't have to keep us happy, their only "client" is the minister.

I sent an email to the new Treasurer telling him that we "beneficiaries" of the governments largess would be unusual ( for beneficiaries of government largess) and actually welcome a reduction in expenditure on CASA policing sport aviation. I told him how we had our own organizations ( the GFA and RAAus) which did little else than flog safety, and therefore for the government to spend millions on this was not necessary.

So far, no reply.

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Check out the TAAAF. This might be a small distraction but anybody seen this? http://abaa.com.au/downloads/TAAAF-Aviation-Policy-2016.pdf and here is a link to the PDF http://abaa.com.au/downloads/TAAAF-Aviation-Policy-2016.pdf

A bit to it but it is not out of the question that a more collaborative relationship with the regulator could be achieved. I have seen it done in other industries but it doesn't happen without a strong and cohesive body of comparable magnitude to the government body. Any opinions?

Have seen this, but Carmody is working to negate all forward movement for the industry.

The Skidmore "stakeholder engagement officer" Robert Walker has continued under Carmody. Their attitude, as shown in the 27th February 2017 Senate estimates shows contempt for the Senators and their positive direction for aviation.

The last #casa missive shows a "toning down" of attitude and even a speed up in processing of #avmed applications.

But is this just an apparition or is it real??

There has been no change in staff or removal of key obstructions within #casa. Until this happens, there will be no change.

At the Avalon air show Carmody spoke, but there is no indication of of anything but a negative attitude towards aviation participants.

Summary - Just more spin and lies.

PS: Same from #atsb [Hood] and Airservices [Jason Harefield]

Have seen this, but Carmody is working to negate all forward movement for the industry.The Skidmore "stakeholder engagement officer" Robert Walker has continued under Carmody. Their attitude, as shown in the 27th February 2017 Senate estimates shows contempt for the Senators and their positive direction for aviation.

The last #casa missive shows a "toning down" of attitude and even a speed up in processing of #avmed applications.

But is this just an apparition or is it real??

There has been no change in staff or removal of key obstructions within #casa. Until this happens, there will be no change.

At the Avalon air show Carmody spoke, but there is no indication of of anything but a negative attitude towards aviation participants.

Summary - Just more spin and lies.

PS: Same from #atsb [Hood] and Airservices [Jason Harefield]

All the more reason for a cohesive industry group to crank up the pressure. With all respects to the AOPA their efforts are going to be one industry group. A whole of industry (or almost whole) can bypass CASA and apply media attention to the situation and ultimately attention to the Minister. There is no greater insult to a Minister than "being overtaken by his department". So action would be forthcoming if the pressure is sustained. Hence as an industry we need to support and participate in our sectional representative organisations and encourage them to associate as a cohesive whole. when you look at it from a media campaign perspective, we have all the ammo. Reluctant as I would be to flog the tabloid journalism aspects of this, it's got all the ingredients. A well put together media news story campaign by a cohesive industry group would create a better appetite for change politically. The trick in a political campaign is knowing when the war is over, No point conquering rubble. Hence I reckon we should all take an interest and contribute positively to the TAAAF efforts and build momentum. Also get this around the industry.

• Like 2

I don't want CASA to get into trouble for being too lenient. I want them to get in trouble for being too officious.

If I had my way, CASA would be confined to information and education only.

In the very rare cases where police action is needed, then the police should do it. For example, if a drunken pilot was flying passengers.

My experience of being grounded after 10 years of trouble-free flying due to the fact that there was only a photo of one side of the plane in some Canberra filing cabinet shows the sort of officious behavior I don't want my taxes to pay for.

• Like 4

I don't want CASA to get into trouble for being too lenient. I want them to get in trouble for being too officious.If I had my way, CASA would be confined to information and education only.

In the very rare cases where police action is needed, then the police should do it. For example, if a drunken pilot was flying passengers.

My experience of being grounded after 10 years of trouble-free flying due to the fact that there was only a photo of one side of the plane in some Canberra filing cabinet shows the sort of officious behavior I don't want my taxes to pay for.

You were caught up in the after-effect of a number of incidents where so-called "pilots" did some potentially fatal things, like low flying THROUGH caravan parks, beach beatups, in aircraft with no markings culminating with one who made National headlines terrorising a group of people in a ski boat; he wasn't so lucky, he provided the evidence by crashing into the water.

Photos to prove that everyone had the mandatory markings, were a much cheaper option than physically requiring you to take your aircraft to Canberra or some other official checkpoint, as we all have to do when registering cars. Your taxes didn't pay for that.

Then you get the use of unsubstantiated videos, such as the John Quadrio case, where a known criminal with a 7-page rap sheet, was used by #casa to "convict" John in the AAT. This video was given to the Federal Police" expert, but in a low resolution form where details such as a flock of birds in the vicinity could not be seen.

The CDPP [Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions] had abandoned the case in the Federal Court and like other cases #casa kept pursuing John through the AAT with a "show cause" notice.

#casa will not discuss new evidence that turned up after the lapse of a time to appeal the AAT decision.

Then you get the use of unsubstantiated videos, such as the John Quadrio case, where a known criminal with a 7-page rap sheet, was used by #casa to "convict" John in the AAT. This video was given to the Federal Police" expert, but in a low resolution form where details such as a flock of birds in the vicinity could not be seen.

The video which I saw, posted on a low resolution website certainly showed birds, the approximate path of the helicopter, and the approximate angles.

I would recommend you carefully peruse ALL the public information and you will see what Mr Quadrio himself had to say, publicly.

The CDPP [Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions] had abandoned the case in the Federal Court and like other cases #casa kept pursuing John through the AAT with a "show cause" notice.

That's CASA's normal dispute channel, so no surprises there, just the system going about it's job. That process also keeps a pilot's costs to a minimum should he or she be drawn into a dispute.

#casa will not discuss new evidence that turned up after the lapse of a time to appeal the AAT decision.

In ALL Tribunal cases, you have to get your evidence in order by the day you attend, and your one chance at success or failure is on that day, so your cross-examination, and presentation standard ON THE DAY will see you win or lose; same applies to the other side. The only appeal is to the Supreme Court on matters of legal process; the SC doesn't hear the case again.

In ALL Tribunal cases, you have to get your evidence in order by the day you attend, and your one chance at success or failure is on that day, so your cross-examination, and presentation standard ON THE DAY will see you win or lose; same applies to the other side. The only appeal is to the Supreme Court on matters of legal process; the SC doesn't hear the case again.

AAT appeals go to the Federal Court, not a State Supreme Court, and they can only consider an error of law, not fact.

Kaz

I feel somewhat conflicted by a process that allows civil proceedings to run after a criminal case has been abandoned AND the process is one that results in quasi criminal penalties.

It seems a lot like double jepordy to me.

Kaz

• Agree 1

AAT appeals go to the Federal Court, not a State Supreme Court, and they can only consider an error of law, not fact.

Kaz

Yes sorry, I had that mixed up with QCAT, the State Tribunal.

The result is the same though - only an error of law.

• Like 1

I feel somewhat conflicted by a process that allows civil proceedings to run after a criminal case has been abandoned AND the process is one that results in quasi criminal penalties.It seems a lot like double jepordy to me.

Kaz

This is a case which has been obfuscated beyond all recognition in social media.

I suspect the best way to get a clear picture of who said what and when is to go over the official records, along with statements from key people directly involved in the original incident.

• Agree 1