Homemade Helicopter

willedoo

Um - no, he's built a man carrying drone that has 54 electric motors without cyclic or collective functions.A long way from being a helicopter, as the video shows.

Good try but ...

Drone

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, and also referred to as a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

helicopter

a kind of vertical-lift aircraft, capable of hovering or moving in any direction, having a motor-driven, horizontal rotor.

So it's not a plane and it is not a drone as it is carrying a man. I reckon helicopter is a pretty good description. Just because the control system is different does not mean it is not a helicopter, in my opinion.

DroneAn unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, and also referred to as a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

helicopter

a kind of vertical-lift aircraft, capable of hovering or moving in any direction, having a motor-driven, horizontal rotor.

So it's not a plane and it is not a drone as it is carrying a man. I reckon helicopter is a pretty good description. Just because the control system is different does not mean it is not a helicopter, in my opinion.

Yes, I know what you're getting at, and that this contrivance is technically a helicopter but sadly it's doomed to failure as far as being a practical aircraft.

There's good reason why helicopters have collective pitch control in particular, and cyclic control also. Power changes just don't cut it when it comes to quick and precise changes to lift requirements, or directional requirements, as can be seen by the mushy drifting up and down and inability to arrest the descent (imagine it trying to stop a high rate of descent) and the poor positioning control even in nil wind conditions.

The idea of power variation with fixed pitch airscrews to control lift and direction was tried extensively using gangs of petrol engines and eventually abandoned due to the throttling response rate being far too slow for effective control. Electric motors certainly have a great advantage when compared with petrol engines in a similar configuration, because electric motors produce full torque regardless of rpm or load, even if fully stalled (i.e. prevented from turning), so their response to changed power settings is very quick, but not nearly quick enough for a practical helicopter unless the power to weight ratio is massive.

And that massive power/weight ratio is why scaling model drones into person carrying vehicles just doesn't work. The drone's performance is beyond dramatic and impressive but as the weight comes up to person-carrying size, the motors and batteries must increase in size to the power of 4 to keep the performance similar.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
I guess they have never heard of ear and eye protection.035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Or head... I wouldn't want to stand up under the disc! It looks far too low, unlike normal commercial copters with the rotor height 8 to 10 feet off the ground, that looks lucky to make 5 feet.