confidence issues

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of advise would you give someone who want to fly but lacks confidence.

Fly with an instructor in the other seat until you're comfortable.

What exactly is your friend lacking confidence about?

The machine itself or their ability to fly it?

• Like 1

I have been dancing around this issue for a long time. has improved over the years that but not to a stage where I will finish my RAA nav endorsement. I have this if I get to far from the nest issue and the bumps set me off to.

and I would love to know why this happens.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Then try staying closer to the nest on bumpy days and going further from the nest on still days...remember at this time of year it gets bumpier as the day goes on generally from the heat...so fly early when smooth, and if you want bumps to boost confidence fly later and closer...

Dont worry we all have moments when the bumps cqn make us very uncomfortable...Recently from

Fraser Island to Hervey Bay at 2 pm I really hated being in the air...it wasnt dangerous but it was horrible and very mentally fatigueing...

had a similar flight out near Lake Keepit around 1 pm in the last month...

From this point on for me till around March it will be early or late flying, no early afternoons ...

I have a huge amount of recent flying and it still gets my nerves when it gets rough...I love tricky conditions eg cross winds and a bit gusty, but i hate continual turbulance

I agree with others...more experience, more time in cockpit and more knowledge will help...if in doubt take an instructor or experienced pilot, or jump in as a passenger with others

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have been dancing around this issue for a long time. has improved over the years that but not to a stage where I will finish my RAA nav endorsement. I have this if I get to far from the nest issue and the bumps set me off to.and I would love to know why this happens.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

A few good points already, as nev said a little bit wariness is good but too much lack of confidence can be detrimental. And as FT said confidence comes from experience and experience comes from practice. But all that said each of us will be less comfortable in some experience or another.

In regards to the bumps, I hate bumps with a passion and really don't enjoy flying in them, I don't have a brs and every time I feel a little bump I worry about my wings falling off. Yes I know the hornet is built strong and yes I know what I call big bumps others call ripples but that's just how it is.

I do know that the more I fly the better I get, I still don't like it but don't have the same level of fear. And flying with instructors that know the plane and getting taken out of my comfort zone has also helped tremendously but be careful that isn't overdone or that can be counter productive!

In regards to the leaving the nest thing, what is it that worries you the most? Is it a worry of not finding your way back, or a worry of the unknown or something else? I know for myself when flying to a new airfield I get nervous and prefer to do it with another pilot on board (even if they haven't been there, just the moral boost of not being alone helps) and I think that would be a fairly normal thing. I still remember my first flight into Dubbo which was also my first time mixing it with qantas and doing that on my own had me sweating a fair bit. Also my first trip to the inlaws and realising just how far I was flying all by myself.

I think a certain amount of uncomfortableness helps our flying standard and when we become too comfortable we can fall into bad and dangerous habits, but if we are too uncomfortable we shouldn't be afraid to ask for help or advice. So good on you for asking shafs and hopefully something from this thread can be a help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If you had seen me the first day I flew a Drifter you would have seen a grand example of lack of confidence.

So I am assuming from your post that you have your Pilots Certificate but not the Nav endorsment.

How is your confidence when flying i the training area. If that is ok then maybe you could set some small navs within that area.

That can help with the concept of following a bearing and all those other things. We can become fairly at home in our patch but we can still use it for training.

Start out with an instructor and build up to on your own. So long as you are within your 25nm no probs.

The other thing as has been suggested lots of time in the air both as PIC in the training area, with and without an instructor and as a pax. There is no need to rush your navs. Confidence comes with time in the saddle.

I see you are Brisbane based, where do you normally fly from and where do you live. I fly fairly regularly and more often than not I have an empty seat.

So long as the weights work out I would be more than happy to take you up from time to time.

As for Bumps. I hate 'em. Not a confidence thing it is simply a comfort thing, I do however like to fly in a bit of turbulence from time to time especially when it is within the circuit. I find it does help build the skill set and if I ever need it I want to be sure I can do it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Its hard to say about leaving the nest. it could be ridding the bumps all the way back home. its funny you mention the BRS and think the wings are going to fall off. I some times wonder if flying a aircraft with one would have the positive effect. Like when they test drugs on people. give half the group the real drug and other half fake. but we don't have issues driving down roads with potholes.

Shafs64,

We all hate bumps in the beginning mate, for me the first 50 to 100 hrs was terrifying on my own but then you build up tolerance to them to a certain degree.

I remember in my trike early on I would be looking at the wings and telling the girls to hang in there in even slight turbulence, I think I may have even been over controlling at times, just let the plane do it's thing and not correct every dip and bump, once I started 3 axis flying again the bumps were nothing compared to in a trike as with the trike you are controlling the wing through your arms and upper body.

I remember my instructor one day while I was pussy footing around rolling in to a 30 deg bank in the Jab early on in my training, he asked to take over and threw that thing in to a 60 deg each way turn time after time telling me your not going to break it, it was the best thing to happen to me as after I got my ticket any turbulence i went through i just said "is that all you got" remembering back to that day with my instructor.

The thing is you cannot fly on perfect smooth days every day as one day you will get caught out.

As the boys above have said not many of us like them but the more you fly the more tolerant you become to them and the more your comfort zone expands.

Hang in there mate your comfort zone like the rest of us is far less stronger than what the plane will take.

Alf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, after reading this thread I feel less alone. I hate turbulence, especially when it's stopping you from updating your flight plan and making simple things like changing the radio frequency a challenge. I video every flight and its interesting to see that while a flight might seem as rough as guts the video shows that it was relatively smooth. I think that proves a lot of it is 'in your head'.

I did force myself to fly hands off on a downwind leg in turbulence on a hot day and the plane never once turned upside down! Thrashing the stick about seems to make things worse. I miss the days when I'd be in the Tobago, 35°C and 30 knot gusty winds, never worried me twenty odd years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What sort of advise would you give someone who want to fly but lacks confidence.

I took quite a number of hours to solo because i was overthinking the landing flare.

Perhaps if someone feels low confidence , its simply that they are thinking about the possible things that go wrong, rather than the things that wont. Why wont they go wrong? PPPPP .

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performanc, and that builds confidence that you ar in control.

You are flying the aeroplane its not flying you. Bad bumps...... Do somthing to improve it . Climb decend or slow down. But make the decision and do it. Cheers

I am going to look at a different approach. start flying out to the 25nm range small steps. could work.

That is the way. I have a friend in a similar position. PM me your phone number if you like and if I am going up I can give you a ring.

That goes for anyone else around Caboolture as well I am always looking for company. I do tend to go up at fairly short notice sometimes though. Oh and I do like to fly early!!!

• Like 2

I also think that I am over thinking it and taking the fun out of it. I need to reverse that issue. Also I would like to thank every one for sharing there I don't like turbulence stories. makes me feel I am not alone.

Just remember if tha air is rough 25 nm out its probably rough above your airport as well...if you need to develop some nerves in turbulance, do it close to the airport, your only 6 minutes from lamding at most...

If its cross country you fear , do it in the morning

If its both...do one at a time....

A 7am nav can get you out to about 100 nm and back before much turbulance...im not suggesting 100 nm , but you get the gist...

If you really are nervous just take an instructor or experienced pilot...

I second taking an experienced pilot or instructor up with you. I think turbulence is one of those things that you'll get used to and having someone with you will help to calm the nerves.

Would looking at how your aircraft is built help? Perhaps understanding how strong it actually is and what it can withstand? To be honest, I look at the C42 I am training in and wonder how the hell it copes with the weather sometimes 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I haven't flown for a few months because of my last hiccup. So I will have to go with a instructor to get checked out. then work it from there. Spooks I fly a sling and will look up how it made this could help.

I also think that I am over thinking it and taking the fun out of it. I need to reverse that issue. Also I would like to thank every one for sharing there I don't like turbulence stories. makes me feel I am not alone.

Shafs:

You are DEFINITELY not alone in your dislike of the bumps. That said, the more you fly with them, the more you'll see that the plane can handle them. Also, if you're in any doubt about overstressing the airframe in the bumps, just slow down a little. It's quite amazing how slowing down will soften the bumps.

Something that helped me and I know you'll hate me for saying it, I found that when I started to get the willies about the bumps, I would force myself to stay out a bit longer. What I found happened with me was that my tenseness would eventually wear me down physically to the point where I couldn't fight the bumps any more and .... Nothing happened! The plane didn't fall out of the sky and the wings didn't tear off. When I got back on the ground I was pretty buggered, but elated that I survived it and the next time I went up, I felt less intimidated. Usually after a session like that, I made a point to go back up again as soon as I could and I found my "bump tolerance" increasing.

In any case, as I said, you are not alone in your dislike of the bumps. Most people go through that, but when you lose most of the fear of the bumps, you, like the rest of us will still dislike flying in them and take whatever steps you can to avoid them where possible.

As for flying away from the nest, I think that's probably also related to your fear of the turbulence. Again you'll have to force the issue with yourself a bit.

On a final note here's something else that helped me. If you don't yet have a passenger endorsement, get it. That way you can take friends and family up for a fly. This does two things

1) with the extra weight in the plane, the bumps don't feel nearly as bad.

2) with someone else in the plane and you in command, it leads you to show them confidence (even if you're not feeling it) and by acting in a confident manner and successfully flying the airplane and delivering your passenger safely back to the airfield, it is amazing how that will boost your confidence in yourself. You might not feel very confident while you're up there, but when you've put the plane away and you're on your way home, you'll probably do a little mental fist-pump and say to yourself "I did that!". Allow yourself that little "win" and pat yourself on the back for your success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4